Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 03:54 PM

966 posts, read 2,446,541 times

Advertisements

I'm still searching for affordable living, possibly in the Bronx. I just checked craigslist and found that there are one-bedroom apartments listed for roughly $800. Hmmmm... Sounds too good to be true, and the pics are very nice. So, what's the neighborhood like? Is it relatively safe? Clean? Parks nearby? Culturally diverse? Anything you can tell me would be a great help. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 04:02 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,082,631 times
Very nice neighborhood.Mosholu Parkway IS a park and it's right between Bedford Park and Norwood.
2 subway lines(4 and D) and Van Cortlandt Park at one end and Botanical Garden at the other.
Lots of shopping nearby too.
Also a metro north stop at the Botanical Garden end = 15 or 20 mis to Grand Central if you are in a hurry.

It was my 2nd choice neighborhood when I was moving to The Bronx.It's much like Pelham Parkway but maybe a little quieter.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:53 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,692,542 times
Default actually, the "Mosholu Pkwy area"

is a broad term these days

It's actually the Bedford Park side of the Parkway along E Mosholu Pkwy South between the Concourse and Webster Ave that is the nicer section. Some nioce homes, co-ops over there. The Norwood side (E Mosholu Parkway north) is OK but it gets run down east of Bainbridge Avenue by 204th/205th street and over by Jerome Ave. these days

there is also the section by West Mosholu Pkwy North (west of Jerome) it's kind of run down over there by Knox/Gates Place

Old 04-21-2010, 06:21 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,290,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nala8 View Post
I'm still searching for affordable living, possibly in the Bronx. I just checked craigslist and found that there are one-bedroom apartments listed for roughly $800. Hmmmm... Sounds too good to be true,
You'd be surprised how cheap the Bronx is...

Old 04-21-2010, 06:28 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,640,353 times
Its an overall nice neighborhood and its relatively quiet and pretty diverse. When I was going to school (Dewitt Clinton) around there, there was a lot of Hispanics, Albanians, some Russians, Indians, and Black people. On Jerome Ave towards Van Courtlandt and Woodlawn its gets very nice and beautiful. Its an overall nice place.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:23 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,610,917 times
You should try to avoid the Tracy Towers. Unless moving into buildings that have become welfare occupancies don't bother you.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:31 PM

Thanks for the information, folks. Very helpful. Right now it's a toss-up between the Bronx and Sunnyside.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:57 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,082,631 times
When you come to check out neighborhoods in The Bronx, try to visit The Botanical Garden if you have never been there. I cannot tell you wonderful it is to live close to it.I have been going there for a walk almost every day for the last month or so and found the greenhouse an amazing refuge during the winter. Sort of like going to Florida and Arizona for a few hours and then walking back outside into the snow.
There is an amazing section of the East side of the Garden that has a section of virgin forest with rapids and waterfalls along The Bronx River!
75.00/yr membership gets you unlimited visits and 250.00 gets you a special pass to enter the grounds at sunrise(before official opening at 10) to walk,jog,bird watch or whatever.
The garden is between the Pelham Parkway neighborhood and Mosholu Parkway/Bedford Park and has entrances from both neighborhoods.
Really a great treasure if you are looking for a neighborhood with green space!
It is one of the best places in NY !
Check out the photos in the collections of the gardens and plants section of the web site.You can see photos in different seasons.There is even a 360 degree view feature.
New York Botanical Garden

Last edited by bluedog2; 04-22-2010 at 05:08 AM..

Old 04-22-2010, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
When you come to check out neighborhoods in The Bronx, try to visit The Botanical Garden if you have never been there. I cannot tell you wonderful it is to live close to it.I have been going there for a walk almost every day for the last month or so and found the greenhouse an amazing refuge during the winter. Sort of like going to Florida and Arizona for a few hours and then walking back outside into the snow.
There is an amazing section of the East side of the Garden that has a section of virgin forest with rapids and waterfalls along The Bronx River!
75.00/yr membership gets you unlimited visits and 250.00 gets you a special pass to enter the grounds at sunrise(before official opening at 10) to walk,jog,bird watch or whatever.
The garden is between the Pelham Parkway neighborhood and Mosholu Parkway/Bedford Park and has entrances from both neighborhoods.
Really a great treasure if you are looking for a neighborhood with green space!
It is one of the best places in NY !
Check out the photos in the collections of the gardens and plants section of the web site.You can see photos in different seasons.There is even a 360 degree view feature.
New York Botanical Garden
Thanks so much bluedog. Bliss... The more I read and participate in the Bronx threads, I keep thinking that this is not the image of the Bronx I've had in mind. My goodness. Emily Dickinson's poetry garden? Who knew? What other treasures are in the Bronx?

Old 04-22-2010, 07:05 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,633,187 times
I've lived in the area for about 6 years and like it very much. I'd agree that the southern side of Mosholu is nicer than the north - towards the eastern portion it's mostly co-ops, while I believe that on the northern side, it's rental buildings. I don't like Tracey Towers either, but it's pretty out of the way. A couple of days ago I had to go there and was surprised by how long the walk was. Usually I think of Bedford Park as being a pretty small neighborhood.

The green space is one of the best things about the neighborhood. If you're on the eastern end, the Botanical Gardens is very close. Mosholu Parkway has lots of open space. Express trains run during rush hours, so the commute is decent. I don't tend to take the metro north much - too expensive, except on weekends with the city ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City