Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 08:11 AM

82 posts, read 315,699 times

Advertisements

One more thing you need to do before moving anywhere.
Check forums to see what people discuss most, those are the problems you will be dealing with, and if you don't like that -- don't move. In NYC the most frequent topics are: apartments, crime, weather, transportation. Another thing to check, whether on wikipedia or government sites, is the median income for the area you are planning to move to. Median income tells you the minimum level majority of people are willing to tolerate. Make an adjustment to that number based on your personal profile compared to racial, cultural, economic, etc. profile of the population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 11:35 AM

904 posts, read 2,873,608 times
I would stick with Brooklyn or Queens - where you'll be working, probably Queens - if I were you. I'd also get a roommate, at least at first, because it will save you a good chunk of money, though you could afford a studio in Astoria or something on 50k if you are really opposed to that.

I have definitely said this to people on this forum before, but please please do not listen to the people on this forum who make it sound like a single person needs to make a six-figure salary to live a decent life in NYC. It is not true. Look, it's going be a huge change from what you are accustomed to. Some things will be more expensive, and often times its easier for us natives than it is for transplants. But you will not live like a pauper, unless you are fiscally reckless and/or already drowning in debt.

The reason: New York is huge. Want to hang out on rooftops in the Meatpacking District with people wearing absurdly expensive clothes while paying $14 for a drink? You can do that. Want to go a cozy neighborhood bar in Brooklyn and see a local and drink $4 domestics? You can do that, too. Want to drop a couple hundred on great seats for a Broadway show? You can do that. Want to go see a free concert in Central Park? You can do that, too. Want spend several hundred dollars at some kind of "fusion" restaurant in Tribeca? You can do that. Want to go to Flushing and get awesome Korean food for five or six bucks a plate? You can do that, too.

My point is that, in terms of having a good time, its more about the choices you make than how much money you make.

Now, a few practical matters: I do strongly advise that you have at least a few grand saved up before making the move - security deposit, moving expenses, furniture, etc. Someone recommended Astoria/Jackson Heights/Sunnyside for you and, considering your salary and where you work, I think this should be the focus of your apartment search. I'd ditch your car. Now, living in Queens you probably could afford a cheap car if you wanted one, but you probably won't have much use for it.

Carefully consider this decision - if you are used to CA, the weather here will probably be a bit of a shock, as will the crowds. But don't be afraid to do it if you think it's the right call!

Old 07-18-2010, 03:56 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali4ever View Post
This move would be a challenge even for young people. $50k is a very low income in NYC. Be prepared that you will live in some less than pleasant area for $1.5k/month, probably dirty, infested, and unsafe; you will commute close to 2h every day in sweltering smelly subway. You will need warm clothes in winter and constantly running air conditioning in summer. Prepare for crowds and noise everywhere. Unlike California, you won't have much opportunities for hiking, biking, etc., even simple pleasures that Californians take for granted cost money in NYC. The costs of living and taxes will suck your income dry, leaving nothing for entertainment or other comforts. You won't even be able to afford a cheap car. You won't have any savings, so once you get here you will be stuck in this dump.
A really good poste! I personally don't think many Cali people are made to move to NYC (unless they were living in like COmpton or South Central LA). The weather will be a big shock, the rents, the living space and u can forget about all of that running and hiking for most of the year. You'll realize that the subway isnt so much an option , as u are more a hostage to it due to the lack of parking in Manhatten or most of NYC nowadays. Not to mention, unless its a new building, or you have a cat, u will probably have unwanted pets known as mice. Ewww

Like someone said, it can be a cool place at times but its not for everyone. Be careful of what threads u read b/c some people were so anxious to move to NYC, that they are happy, even though they're lifestyle isnt what you call good living (30+ with multiple roomates, ect..)

Old 07-18-2010, 04:02 PM

194 posts, read 623,222 times
I'll second what NWAL said, directly above. There is an abundance of free or low-cost ways in NYC to have "fun" - whatever your definition of fun is.

It will take some adjustment, no question. You'll likely get a smaller, older apartment, likely battle crowds on the rush-hour subway, and won't be able to hop in your car for errands. That's the trade-off for living here.

It's NOT for everyone; it's an individual choice as to whether the "positives" (based on a person's specific needs/desires) outweigh the negatives.

As for costs: again, you probably won't need a car, so getting rid of that alone will probably decrease your transportation costs significantly. As for grocery costs, I've lived in several cities throughout the US, and I haven't seen a major difference in the prices overall. In fact, in NYC, I've found places that are far less than the national average - you just have to know where to shop.

Old 07-18-2010, 05:43 PM

904 posts, read 2,873,608 times
Quote:
Not to mention, unless its a new building, or you have a cat, u will probably have unwanted pets known as mice. Ewww
To the OP: Most people I know in the city live in old buildings. I have, in my entire life, known of one apartment with a mice issue, and the people who lived there let the place go to crap. I'd guess everyone's experience varies, but I wouldn't get too worried about mice. You'll probably see a cockroach now and then, though. But get some Raid, keep the garbage moving, and you'll be OK.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:03 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,463,657 times
NYC sounds like a whole different culture & life style compared to CA, sounds like a real concrete jungle type environment

I wouldnt recommend moving to NYC, seems like it's a very stressful place to live

Old 07-19-2010, 06:35 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,751 times
You either love NYC and are willing to put up with its challenges, or you don't. One can definitely live in NYC for 50k a year. And it doesn't have to be in an infested hole. I know this from experience.

As others have mentioned, I would look for a share at first. NYC is so incredibly varied, it takes a while to figure out what neighborhood works for you. Whatever you do, do not send any money to anyone before you get here. Craig's is a great resource if you are savvy, but I've seen too many newbies swindled through the site. If you can, come for a visit and arrange for a temporary stay in person or have your company handle it.

Good luck. I moved here from CA 15 years ago and never looked back.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:15 AM

343 posts, read 1,025,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodt View Post
Hello all, I am a newbie to New York, 35 years young and have a great career opportunity opening in New York City. I am just scratching the surface and need information so this site seemed to offer a great way to get a start on finding out about New York City before the big move.

So here goes, my offices will be in the vicinity of the 100 block of East 55th. I will be making approx 50K a year which isn't the lap of luxury but I hope gives me a decent start. I need to know about; apartment costs with a location near subway or trains in a safe area. Shopping, food, entertainment and probably a million other things that I can't think of right now. Thanks, I appreciate any info you want to share.
Don't listen to people who say you can't make it on that salary. Plenty of people do and live in decent neighborhoods. A cousin of mine works at starbucks as a shift manager, makes about 28K a year, lives in the Bronx near Pelham Parkway in a safe nice clean building for about $860 a month.

It can be done alone... just not in Manhattan, lol. Unless you do Harlem, and coming from Cali... muy culture shock!

You can always apply for the lotteries when you get here. Plenty of those on nyc.gov/hpd
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City