Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 06:11 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,351,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
The problem, not just for SE Queens but alot of middle class Outer Borough NY, is the schools. It's just too easy for the middle class AA popualtion in Queens to hop over to Nassau nowanddays. Nevermind how many people can get more bang for their buck down south or out west.

@QnsGirl:

Do you think SE Queens is in serious danger of becoming tatty and hood like Mt Vernon and the North Bronx?
In some parts, yes. There are already some tatty & hood parts now. Hopefully the areas that are predominantly middle class, with single family OWNED homes will be more stable. The problem is that there are no gated communities and the drama from one area can easily spills over into the next. Sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 11:40 AM

1 posts, read 2,366 times
Just wondering as I read this post and others as well, what would be better housing development in Queens?
I am being offered a transfer.
I've looked at Latimer.
I haven't physically gone to Pomonok.
But based on what I've read here, Pomonok has gotten worse.
Don't get me wrong, I do understand, housing is housing but I need to go to Queens and i'm just not sure where to go...
Currently the one we live in has gotten so bad that being outside just to go to store is dangerous.
We come then we go.
Stay inside and kids cannot play outside.
So any suggestions? Latimer? Pomonok? or another?

Old 07-21-2011, 11:28 AM

1 posts, read 2,106 times
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]It has been very interesting reading the different posts here.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]I have been a resident of SE Queens for a very, very long time,…and my family has resided here since 1946. A time remembered by very, very, very few.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]As a kid I used to play right outside the grounds of the Jamaica Race track when it was still there. We ate ice cream, sat in the grass and watched the horses as they came down the “straight-away”. The LIRR trains were pulled by steam locomotives. Those were really the days.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]A lot of Jews and Italians lived south of Linden Boulevard, east of Merrick Boulevard, etc. Laurelton was white,…Elmont was white,…Cambria Heights was white, etc.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]I remember when they tore down the race track and built Rochdale. Blacks were not allowed to work on the construction crews.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]When it opened, it was over 90% Jewish,…having left their surrounding homes to move there. Blacks started buying those homes they were vacating/selling.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 07-21-2011, 01:36 PM

337 posts, read 968,630 times
I hate to sound racist but it's all black now.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:09 AM

3 posts, read 6,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el77 View Post
I hate to sound racist but it's all black now.
No you don't, that was intentional.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylvnyc View Post
So any suggestions? Latimer? Pomonok? or another?
Not sure what ever happened to your situation but Pomonok would not be the place to go especially with children. My opinion is anything other than...Good luck...

Old 08-05-2011, 06:06 PM

237 posts, read 329,757 times
Man I'd love to know too. grew up in south ozone, right near van wyck and foch blvd. in the 80's. been away a long time, coming back(but will probably live in manhattan). I wouldn't mind getting to know my old 'hood again, that's for sure

Old 08-06-2011, 07:14 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Is the Rochdale waiting list open?

Old 07-16-2012, 08:44 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,827,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xqnzchickx View Post
I guess there isn't a lot of development here because SE Queens just doesn't have the same appeal as other neighborhoods like the ones in Western Queens/Brooklyn. There isn't much do here except going to Jamaica Ave or Green Acres (which isn't even in SE Queens) and it's so far from Manhattan (unless you live in/near downtown Jamaica, you need a bus to get to the train).
The Ave is in South Jamaica where I was born and raised so it is in SE Queens

Old 04-28-2018, 04:02 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,682,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlushingKid718 View Post
im black 1st of all Mrs.Flushing girl
and why must you make pomonok look soft? cmon now
I hate to dig up an old thread but people like YOU are the reason Pomonok is bad now. Not because of the color of your skin, but because you don't want to look "soft." Even if you don't contribute physically to it being unsafe, your mind is screwed up.

What's wrong with living in a quiet, safe neighborhood?

If you look at this person's post history he talks about moving out of Pomonok because it's become too dangerous, yet in the same breath he chastises someone for making him look "weak." This is the ghetto mentality that has ruined Pomonok. Be gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City