Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 02:26 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,353,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoros View Post
I sooooo agree with this. I was in building 11 earlier this morning. you could eat off the floors.

Yes, there are NYCHA developments that are better maintained (landscape wise) than rochdale, but that boils down to the management. They've been in the red for years and didnt increase rents from the early 90s to the early 2000s so thats why the rents have doubled. things need to be payed for. throw the economy into the sink and they have huge problems.

Once they clean the books up, they will have money for all these pet projects to make it better.

Security has 2 teams now... a task force which patrols the buildings specifically, and then a guard force which rolls up in the complex in smart cars... yes they have smart cars now.

There are building facade improvements going on, and the mall is being repaved...

The thing is there are several board of directors members that have self interest in keeping the retail in the malls like they are because... they have stores in them!!! Once that conflict of interest is cleaned up, it can pave the way for more/better retail. It's mostly a generational thing too.

Side note, rochdale has the all the things available to gentrify south east queens if you wanna use "that" word. There is already a sizeable population of people who make money there! Have you seen the cars in the parking lot? Have you seen the income requirements to get in Rochdale?? The Apartments are HUGE. Especially if you are on the A and G lines. If you are in Building 5,6,2 and 8.. and you are on the tenth or above floors facing the city, you have a panoramic view of manhattan. Dont sleep! People dont stay in Rochdale forever and pass the apartments down for nothing.

LIRR access is 26 minutes to Penn & Brooklyn... 24 in some rush hours with no stop at Jamaica. Parking (sometimes a chore); basic amenities: bank, post office, supermarket, gift shop, chinese, deli, bootleg department store, Walgreens, Rite Aid, etc. But most people drive to Long Island to do stuff...

People don't get involved so the people who care are left to focus on what they can do to make it better. That needs to change too.
Thanks for these extra points. I know all about the benefits of Rochdale. I lived there as a kid and my grandmother lived in the surrounding neighborhood until she passed in 2003. And, just to be clear, I want Rochdale and the surrounding area made nicer for young, middle income blacks. If other people wish to come, that's fine too. But as I said in my earlier post, I and several of my peers left the area because the community didn't have much to offer when we needed an affordable place to get our start. This was back in the '80s when things around Rochdale were much worse.

The board of directors needs to come out of the dark ages regarding the malls. Talk about a conflict of interest. Geez

I agree. More people do need to get involved. I have become involved in a number of initiatives in SE Queens so I like to believe that although I am no longer living there, that I am part of the solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 10:38 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
another thing i would like to add regarding rochdale...getting somewhere by driving is very easy since the belt parkway is right there.

to the OP: what part of far rockaway did you drive around? i've lived in far rockaway my entire life (29 yrs).

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-24-2010, 11:00 PM

650 posts, read 1,327,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
really? u put rochdale as a 7 or 8 comparing it to the projects? lol. i go to rochdale all the time. it is nowhere near the level of the projects. at least the 1 building i go to all the time is always clean, and i never see people hanging outside of it.
Lol Rochdale isn't nice, worse than Queensbridge in my experience, I've lived in both. I never had a gun aimed at me in Queensbridge, never got stabbed in the projects, nobody tried to rob me. However I'd take Rochdale over Queensbridge because I hate urban areas. So I agree with Infamous, living and visiting is different.

You hang in circle 4?

I'm not saying Rochdale is a bombed out rotten place but it is comparable to the PJ's. Just nicer looking.

Somebody said something about building 11 being soooo clean, I don't beleive that because building 10's staircases be dirty.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:17 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N130 View Post
Lol Rochdale isn't nice, worse than Queensbridge in my experience, I've lived in both. I never had a gun aimed at me in Queensbridge, never got stabbed in the projects, nobody tried to rob me. However I'd take Rochdale over Queensbridge because I hate urban areas. So I agree with Infamous, living and visiting is different.

You hang in circle 4?

I'm not saying Rochdale is a bombed out rotten place but it is comparable to the PJ's. Just nicer looking.

Somebody said something about building 11 being soooo clean, I don't beleive that because building 10's staircases be dirty.
i dont know the rochdale speak like that to tell u which circle i frequent. whatever circle that is off 137th ave. well sorry to hear what happened to u but i have never had a bad experience in rochdale.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-24-2010, 11:37 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Thanks for sharing this. In puts a very different light on Rochdale for me. I've been to the "big mall" as recently as this spring and it looked more rundown and devoid of shoppers than ever. I haven't been inside of one of the apartment buildings for years.

Well, considering this, and the sheer lack of available co-ops and condos in SE Queens, I would support raising Rochdale's income guidelines, required monthly maintenance fees and downpayments to help attract a more middle income population. In Co-op City, for example, you must put $13,500 down to qualify for a 1BR. At Rochdale, it's $8,400. Parkchester sells condos. Rochdale also needs to upgrade Mall #1 & Mall #2 and begin work on attracting new retail (again, think of Co-op City and Parkchester). The greater community needs this as well. Quality retail in the area will prevent people from spending their money in Nassau County. With a better quality community, young people might be encouraged to stay instead of moving out of state, to Brooklyn or to the Hillside Avenue area. Once you stay into your 20s, you might even consider staying (and buying a house in the area) after you've married and are raising a family.

One thing that I would not change is keeping Rochdale affordable for seniors. It is uniquely self-contained, allowing seniors who don't drive to meet most of their needs within the complex.

Regarding crime, it's ironic that Rochdale relies on "lame" security when the 113th Precinct is right in the parking lot of the big mall. Couldn't they assign some cops to foot or scooter patrol inside of Rochdale? In my neighborhood we have police on foot, scooter, and horse patrol. At least the presence of real police might be a crime deterrent and help to make the law abiding citizens feel safer.

Everything focuses around DOLLARS. Not only in Manhattan, but also in Northwest Brooklyn and Long Island City. If it's the goal of the Mayor's office to focus on these areas because they're guaranteed revenue for the city ... fine. But share some of the gain with the outer ring communities as well. Look at what an investment in East NY did to help revitalize that area.
I agree with just about everything, East New York has a lot of construction going on, there's townhouses next to Linden Plaza now, I never would've thought that I'd see that. I heard Linden Plaza got an upgrade too, last time I was there it was like the ruins of a building. Rochdale security like to harass young people (10-30 years old), I saw there new smart cars, they used to have those little 3 wheel NYPD cart type things when I lived there.

Quote:
really? u put rochdale as a 7 or 8 comparing it to the projects? lol. i go to rochdale all the time. it is nowhere near the level of the projects. at least the 1 building i go to all the time is always clean, and i never see people hanging outside of it.
Lol what building is that? I'm not from Rochdale but I have lived there and it's really not as "nice" as it's being made out to be, I'm just trying to keep it real as a former resident. I have my "stories" too lol.

Quote:
I sooooo agree with this. I was in building 11 earlier this morning. you could eat off the floors.

Yes, there are NYCHA developments that are better maintained (landscape wise) than rochdale, but that boils down to the management. They've been in the red for years and didnt increase rents from the early 90s to the early 2000s so thats why the rents have doubled. things need to be payed for. throw the economy into the sink and they have huge problems.

Once they clean the books up, they will have money for all these pet projects to make it better.

Security has 2 teams now... a task force which patrols the buildings specifically, and then a guard force which rolls up in the complex in smart cars... yes they have smart cars now.

There are building facade improvements going on, and the mall is being repaved...

The thing is there are several board of directors members that have self interest in keeping the retail in the malls like they are because... they have stores in them!!! Once that conflict of interest is cleaned up, it can pave the way for more/better retail. It's mostly a generational thing too.

Side note, rochdale has the all the things available to gentrify south east queens if you wanna use "that" word. There is already a sizeable population of people who make money there! Have you seen the cars in the parking lot? Have you seen the income requirements to get in Rochdale?? The Apartments are HUGE. Especially if you are on the A and G lines. If you are in Building 5,6,2 and 8.. and you are on the tenth or above floors facing the city, you have a panoramic view of manhattan. Dont sleep! People dont stay in Rochdale forever and pass the apartments down for nothing.

LIRR access is 26 minutes to Penn & Brooklyn... 24 in some rush hours with no stop at Jamaica. Parking (sometimes a chore); basic amenities: bank, post office, supermarket, gift shop, chinese, deli, bootleg department store, Walgreens, Rite Aid, etc. But most people drive to Long Island to do stuff...

People don't get involved so the people who care are left to focus on what they can do to make it better. That needs to change too.
I really don't believe what you said about Bldg 11 but hey I only went in that building like 3 times lol. Sure why is it that Rochdale starts to improve as soon as I move, they really need to fix them crummy malls that actually used to be decent in the 70's & 80's, there used to be a roller rink on the 2nd floor of the big mall, that's nice to me, something for the kids (adults too). The tennis courts were going to be pools at first but I guess it's cheaper to maintain.

Also in reality the LIRR isn't 26 minutes to Penn Station (maybe going straight at a constant speed), it's really about 40 minutes.

Parking is a terrible nightmare unless you pay monthly for a spot in one of the parking lots.

McDonald's, Walgreens, Popeyes, Barber Shop is dumb far lol, that walk very long. These should be in the mall imo, not outside way across the parking lot and 2 streets.

Idk what an A/G line is but I lived in an A apartment and it wasn't "huge" at all, some C apartments are large but they don't have terraces.

And I think they're fixing the bricks because a lot of them are starting to fall off, especially in storms. That Hurricane like Nor'Easter earlier this year knocked down trees and bricks, that had some buildings roped off.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:41 PM

343 posts, read 1,025,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I agree with just about everything, East New York has a lot of construction going on, there's townhouses next to Linden Plaza now, I never would've thought that I'd see that. I heard Linden Plaza got an upgrade too, last time I was there it was like the ruins of a building. Rochdale security like to harass young people (10-30 years old), I saw there new smart cars, they used to have those little 3 wheel NYPD cart type things when I lived there.

Lol what building is that? I'm not from Rochdale but I have lived there and it's really not as "nice" as it's being made out to be, I'm just trying to keep it real as a former resident. I have my "stories" too.

I really don't believe what you said about Bldg 11 but hey I only went in that building like 3 times lol. Sure why is it that Rochdale starts to improve as soon as I move, they really need to fix them crummy malls that actually used to be decent in the 70's & 80's, there used to be a roller rink on the 2nd floor of the big mall, that's nice to me, something for the kids (adults too). The tennis courts were going to be pools at first but I guess it's cheaper to maintain.

Also in reality the LIRR isn't 26 minutes to Penn Station (maybe going straight at a constant speed), it's really about 40 minutes.

Parking is a terrible nightmare unless you pay monthly for a spot in one of the parking lots.

McDonald's, Walgreens, Popeyes, Barber Shop is dumb far lol, that walk very long. These should be in the mall imo, not outside way across the parking lot and 2 streets.

Idk what an A/G line is but I lived in an A apartment and it wasn't "huge" at all, some C apartments are large but they don't have terraces.

The LIRR's own website has the schedules for off peak at 28 minutes and varies for peak 24-28 minutes during rush hours. with a 97% on time rate.. I use to do it all the time.

A/G aparments are large in the A and C sections of each building.

If you haven't been in Rochdale in a while, how can you accurately project it?

The tennis courts were never going to be pools. Rochdale HAD a pool where the Garden is now.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:54 PM

Quote:
The LIRR's own website has the schedules for off peak at 28 minutes and varies for peak 24-28 minutes during rush hours. with a 97% on time rate.. I use to do it all the time.

A/G aparments are large in the A and C sections of each building.

If you haven't been in Rochdale in a while, how can you accurately project it?

The tennis courts were never going to be pools. Rochdale HAD a pool where the Garden is now.
I did it frequently too and it wasn't 28 minutes. You have to get off at Jamaica then wait a few minutes for the other train then it makes about 5 or so stops in between Jamaica and Penn Station.

I moved in April, shoot I'm spending the night right now.

Correction: And also they had got new security carts in between the old NYPD like ones and the smart cars, forgot about those.

I was told by a family member who lived in Rochdale since it opened with only 2 buildings and dirt paths that the tennis courts area was originally supposed to be a pool area.

Also I lived in a B section so that explains things.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:04 AM

343 posts, read 1,025,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I did it frequently too and it wasn't 28 minutes. You have to get off at Jamaica then wait a few minutes for the other train then it makes about 5 or so stops in between Jamaica and Penn Station.

I moved in April, shoot I'm spending the night right now.

Correction: And also they had got new security carts in between the old NYPD like ones and the smart cars, forgot about those.

I was told by a family member who lived in Rochdale since it opened with only 2 buildings and dirt paths that the tennis courts area was originally supposed to be a pool area.

Also I lived in a B section so that explains things.
If you did the LIRR frequently you would know the stops by heart..... Everyone that frequently rides LIRR can recite their branch stops word for word, you would also know that:

A: Weekdays every other peak train during the rush trains to penn station do NOT require a transfer at Jamaica, and when they do, the trains make woodside and penn station only. The babylon branch does the Forest Hills and Kew Gardens Portion.

B: Weekends, the train makes Jamaica, Woodside and Penn Station only.

Even if I was to use your It makes 5 more stops analogy you'd still be incorrect. There are 4 stops in between Locust Manor and Penn Station if you are on the Local (Jamaica, Kew, Forest HIlls, Woodside), and that is only during the afternoon going towards penn, and even then... it still takes 28 minutes...lol... and its 2 stops on the express with the xfer at Jamaica, and the train is ALWAYS waiting across the platform or approaching.

LIRR's own schedule shows this....

Old 07-25-2010, 12:09 AM

Quote:
i dont know the rochdale speak like that to tell u which circle i frequent. whatever circle that is off 137th ave. well sorry to hear what happened to u but i have never had a bad experience in rochdale.
That's Circle 5. One of the main bad parts of Rochdale is the Green Courts area, there's always something popping off over there.

I will say that I feel Circle 4 has every other circle beat, it's the closest to the LIRR (about half a "City Block" away across the street). The most parking locations. It's the safest/least drama filled circle from my experience. However the Small Mall is the closest mall, it's not as "good" as the Big Mall (which isn't good to begin with) especially Associated but I think they have improved over the years, I remember when the food used to be moldy.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:16 AM

Quote:
If you did the LIRR frequently you would know the stops by heart..... Everyone that frequently rides LIRR can recite their branch stops word for word, you would also know that:

A: Weekdays every other peak train during the rush trains to penn station do NOT require a transfer at Jamaica, and when they do, the trains make woodside and penn station only. The babylon branch does the Forest Hills and Kew Gardens Portion.

B: Weekends, the train makes Jamaica, Woodside and Penn Station only.

Even if I was to use your It makes 5 more stops analogy you'd still be incorrect. There are 4 stops in between Locust Manor and Penn Station if you are on the Local (Jamaica, Kew, Forest HIlls, Woodside), and that is only during the afternoon going towards penn, and even then... it still takes 28 minutes...lol... and its 2 stops on the express with the xfer at Jamaica, and the train is ALWAYS waiting across the platform or approaching.

LIRR's own schedule shows this....
Lol first of all me and you are 2 different people, I don't really pay attention to stops unless I don't know where I'm going. All I know is Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, Wood-something (is that the 7 train one?) and thats about it. Whenever I took the LIRR it seemed to make all the stops. My commute was 2 buses (an hour+ each way ) the Q85 & the Q44, so I didn't take the LIRR during rush hour.

Haha I'd still be incorrect, I'm telling you it's not 28 minutes but whatever. I'm no train conductor.

The MTA schedules also state that the Q85 is supposed to come every 2-3 minutes during rush hours, lmao yeah right. Try 7-15 minutes or more. But buses are different. I'm telling you it's not 28 minutes lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City