Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2010, 09:17 AM

224 posts, read 1,085,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoros View Post
Oh so now it's who wants to live there. So the debate has shifted.

Who wants to live in woodlawn? It's practically in Westchester.

Who wants to live in Bay ridge.. It's practically in staten island.

You still don't know much about the boros obviously. ALL the good neighborhoods within the city are closer to the suburbs
Difference is Woodlawn, Bay Ridge are alot easier to commute to the city then Queens. If you have ever been to Queens you would know how bad Long Island traffic is. It is one of the worst in the nation behind Los Angeles. I know plenty about the borughs my friend, I've worked in Astoria for a couple years and I've ate in Neptunes more times then I can remember its my favorite diner, btw. But yes, Astoria is a great neighborhood and the only Queens neighborhood I would even consider living in, due to its close proximity to the Triboro and trains. But you obviously don't know much, except what you read online, Mr. Boro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 09:22 AM

343 posts, read 1,025,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolchris4000b View Post
Difference is Woodlawn, Bay Ridge are alot easier to commute to the city then Queens. If you have ever been to Queens you would know how bad Long Island traffic is. It is one of the worst in the nation behind Los Angeles. I know plenty about the borughs my friend, I've worked in Astoria for a couple years and I've ate in Neptunes more times then I can remember its my favorite diner, btw. But yes, Astoria is a great neighborhood and the only Queens neighborhood I would even consider living in, due to its close proximity to the Triboro and trains. But you obviously don't know much, except what you read online, Mr. Boro.
That's laughable.

Tell that to the people who ride the X27 and take the R train everyday! And the people who take a bus to the 4 train.

I never mentioned Astoria. And what YOU are considering is different from mis informing people about what exist in the Boros.

Born and Raised in Queens BTW. Over 35 years experience in this city in all different industries... I think I got my bases covered kiddo!

Old 07-28-2010, 09:29 AM

541 posts, read 1,902,875 times
Quote:
Yeah the only thing your missing is all of those you mentioned above were actually FROM NEW YORK. Including 'hippies' and 'disco nerds' my father went to disco clubs in 70s he was also a breakdancer. Not many yuppies or hipsters came to NYC during the 1970s. NY wasn't the place to go then, it was a sesspool. You obviously have no idea about NY history, thats another reason we dislike you newcomers, you know nothing about the city, you come here and rents double, you wipe the middle class and poor out, you expect a "Jamba Juice" on every block. This is what your known to do, its not just 'New Yorkers' who dislike you its the WORLD. You takeover where-ever you go and then you leave when its 'out of style', you think thats right? Leave us alone already.
Moderator cut: Not necessary I hate to break it you, but NYC, with some exceptions, has always been a city of newcomers.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 07-29-2010 at 12:20 AM..

Old 07-28-2010, 09:36 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,354,372 times
Quote:
Who wants to live in Fresh Meadows? Thats basically Long Island...
... a lot of people.

Fresh Meadows is a nice, safe, clean neighborhood that has a decent size population of young people because it is right next to St. John's University.

Pros:
-Express bus that runs 7 days/wk into Manhattan
-Q46 Limited to Union Tpke/Kew Gardens (E/F to midtown)
-Parking. You could keep a car there.
-Union Tpke has some hang out places that popped up as a result of the expansion of St. John's.
-Austin Street in Forest Hills (close by) has some nice restaurants and bars, that appeal to young people as well.

If you can afford about $7 - 800/mo, you could rent in a private house with another young person and be able to afford the payments. I teach at St. John's. This is what some of my students do.

I offer this to people who are willing to compromise to stay out of the "toilet." The OP clearly stated in another post that she avoids Queens. So be it.

There are options. You just have to be willing to take a stepping stone to what you ultimately want. I agree with what someone said earlier that there's a strong sense of entitlement going on here. I want it NOW won't necessarily play out in NYC.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:41 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
Moderator cut: Not necessary

And I agree..NYC has always been a city of newcomers, and immigrants from poor countries. These recent newbies from Central America and Africa are no different.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 07-29-2010 at 12:22 AM..

Old 07-28-2010, 09:56 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,354,372 times
Moderator cut: Orphaned quote

Fresh Meadows also has Cunningham Park, which has lots of running and biking trails, baseball fields, picnic area and tennis courts. Young people are there all the time. It's really a very nice neighborhood.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 07-29-2010 at 12:22 AM..

Old 07-28-2010, 10:14 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,860,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
... a lot of people.

Fresh Meadows is a nice, safe, clean neighborhood that has a decent size population of young people because it is right next to St. John's University.

Pros:
-Express bus that runs 7 days/wk into Manhattan
-Q46 Limited to Union Tpke/Kew Gardens (E/F to midtown)
-Parking. You could keep a car there.
-Union Tpke has some hang out places that popped up as a result of the expansion of St. John's.
-Austin Street in Forest Hills (close by) has some nice restaurants and bars, that appeal to young people as well.

If you can afford about $7 - 800/mo, you could rent in a private house with another young person and be able to afford the payments. I teach at St. John's. This is what some of my students do.

I offer this to people who are willing to compromise to stay out of the "toilet." The OP clearly stated in another post that she avoids Queens. So be it.

There are options. You just have to be willing to take a stepping stone to what you ultimately want. I agree with what someone said earlier that there's a strong sense of entitlement going on here. I want it NOW won't necessarily play out in NYC.

More great info. The OP only arrived in April this year. She may just need to learn her way around, and probably doesn't know much about the boros. This is may also be true of other newcomers.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:37 AM

877 posts, read 2,768,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
More great info. The OP only arrived in April this year. She may just need to learn her way around, and probably doesn't know much about the boros. This is may also be true of other newcomers.
Also, if they are living in a room, they can check out the YWCA.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:50 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Closed for Moderator Review

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 07-29-2010, 12:25 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Thread reopened. Please focus on discussions of the original topic, and not needless cross-debate and attacks on other posters. Thank you.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City