Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2007, 08:18 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Yeah what is up with everyone moving to NC? I drove through there maybe 6 months ago on my way to Florida, and honestly I didn't see what the big deal is about the place.

The culture is different, there's tons of sprawl (think Rockland County), and there didn't seem to be a real city center really to speak of. Whats the attraction?
You're forgetting that the vast majority of this nation loves sprawl. Therefore, cookie-cutter, vinyl-sided homes on cul-de-sacs, fast-food restaurants, wide congested streets, Wal-Marts, gas stations, etc. are paradise for all of these suckers. Give me a great walkable neighborhood in the city anyday over a fake neighborhood where you can live beside your next-door neighbor for 15 years and not even say one word to them because you're both too busy "power-commuting" to make a large enough salary to keep up with the Jones's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
I am for LA. Always loved LA, think of it as my 2nd home.
I suppose one man's trash is another man's treasure. I have family in Shreveport, LA, and they can't stand living there. I've also heard nothing but unflattering things about the current crime rate in New Orleans. To each his own, I suppose.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:31 PM

335 posts, read 1,435,527 times
i think they mean los angeles.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:36 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times

Aaaah, just like I thought.....some of the riff-raffs went to PA, too!

I know people who already have relatives in Scranton. And how segregated is Lancaster?

Old 07-24-2007, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi2NYC? View Post
i think they mean los angeles.
Oops! How embarrassing! This is just like when people confuse "USC" as being either University of Southern California or University of South Carolina. LOL!

Old 07-24-2007, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Aaaah, just like I thought.....some of the riff-raffs went to PA, too!

I know people who already have relatives in Scranton. And how segregated is Lancaster?
Well, Lancaster is about three hours south of Scranton, and I haven't been to the city enough times to judge its level of segregation. However, from what I've been told, Lancaster County tends to lean conservative, and a lot of the natives are giving newcomers a "cold shoulder" in response to all of the sprawl occurring down that way.

Most of the NYC transplants coming our way are actually great people; it just seems like I run into every rude, idiotic one. LOL! I gave that iPhone woman a death stare when I left Radio Shack, and the next time I'm in Honesdale, PA, I'll be sure to pick up my batteries elsewhere.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:22 AM

86 posts, read 367,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
There is an attachment to NYC for me. I fear not fitting into the culture of my new location. I fear a sense of dislocation. I fear that I'll want to come back to NYC but won't be able to.
Once a New Yorker, always a New Yorker.

New England culture is different from that of the Middle Atlantic states, but easy for a New Yorker to adjust. Life is so much easier.

It would be difficult to return to NYC because you will have become used to a lower cost of living...you would have to restart street smarts...you would have to again get used to smaller living spaces...and indoor bugs...in other words, quality of life issues.

One of the hardest adjustments for me is the total dependence on the automobile. As someone I met from New York in Connecticut said, "You have to drive 10 miles for a quart of milk!"

Another difficult adjustment is the total lack of any nighttime activity - I'm not talking bars, I'm talking any nighttime activity. (My town closes at 5:00 P.M., 7:30 P. M. is the typical bedtime.)

The lack of culture is another void, but of the six New England states, I think Vermont has more than the others.

The upside of dependence on the automobile and the lack of traffic is you can run multiple errands with lots of packages and still have plenty of the day and energy left over. For example, I can drive on local streets the equivalent of the entire length of Manhattan in 15 minutes without speeding and without a traffic light.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaGetOuttaHere View Post
I've always wanted to live out West (specifically places like Colorado, or anywhere in the Rocky Mountain Region)
Go for it. Nothing else will please. Now is the time to do it while you are single...New York is only a plane ride away. You don't want to look back with regret at not living in Rocky Mountains even if for only a short time.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post

No neighborhood and no city is free from crime!
Not true, unless you include crime as that headlined in my local newspaper, "Police go to House of Woman One Week Overdue on Movie Rental."

Old 07-25-2007, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
I was at the Radio Shack in Honesdale, PA waiting very patiently...
Not sure why waiting patiently is virtuous...

Quote:
...a woman with a thick Brooklyn accent ...this brash woman cut in front of me because she assumed her problem was more important than my purchase and that her time was more valuable than mine. The woman even had the nerve to mutter swears under her breath while the poor clerk was filling out paperwork and preparing to make a phone call to Apple.
If she noticed you at all, she thought you were waiting patiently while she was in a hurry.

Quote:
While that clerk was fumbling around...
No wonder the New Yorker was mumbling under her breath.

Quote:
However, the store manager came out from his hiding place in the back at this time to say "You taken care of?" also in a Brooklyn accent. I asked if I could have an 8-pack of the Energizer lithium batteries. He grabbed them, scanned them, took my money, gave me my change, and then handed me the bag and said "There ya go." I had expected a "Have a nice day" or something to make up for my unpleasant experience in that store, but that never came.
The store manager seemed very efficient - much faster and on the ball than the clerk - he served you expeditiously...and your complaint is he didn't express a wish for you to have a nice day?

By the way, New Yorkers have brogues, not accents.

Signed, Native New Yorker transplaned to small town
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City