Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 09:05 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
I went to both CUNY Lehman College in the Bronx, and NYU. I am massively in debt from my time at NYU, but I believed that in this system I wouldn't get the same employment opportunities if I stayed at Lehman College. Who knows if my life would be different? My current job is pretty good as far as my field goes...

Even though I went to NYU myself, very few NYU students are from NYC's public school system or the Bronx and thus are generally looked at as privleged tourists with no idea of the struggles New Yorkers go through, and this for the most part is the correct outlook.

NYU should be taken over by eminent domain and absorbed into the CUNY system.

Know more than a few who got tired of dealing with Hunter and went to NYU for their BSN nursing degree. Some $65K to $80K (if not a bit more) yes, they have a BSN but now are laden with deep student loan debt. They also found out NYC hospitals don't pay any sort of premium for being a NYU graduate, nor does it automatically open doors.

Whatever democratic leanings lead to the founding of NYU: https://www.nyu.edu/faculty/governan...niversity.html it has morphed into sort of a nuclear arms race with the Ivies including Columbia.

Just like the Ivies NYU claims its high tuition costs are needed to provide the quality education and so forth expected. Maybe so, maybe not but their expansion and tactics are winning them more and more enemies.

I can remember back in the 1980's when yes, NYU was a presence in Greenwich Village. Now they have pretty much taken over especially from 14th Street going south. Slowly but surely 8th Street has become almost defacto part of NYU's campus. Third Avenue from about Saint Marks going north is heading the same way.

As for their students, NYU has like any other college all sorts. However it does tend to lean towards attracting self entitled little snowflakes.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2461579

This is one of my favorites: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1242495

Or how about this charming example: NYU Student Set Roommate on Fire and Recorded It, Prosecutors Say - Crime & Courts, True Crime : People.com

Last edited by BugsyPal; 12-18-2015 at 09:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 10:10 PM

236 posts, read 271,836 times
Interned with a NYU student last year; he was cool. Basically he told me the NYU student body is pretty mixed. Lots of hipsters, lots of privileged whites who think they're better than everyone else. As for the school itself, Tisch kicks butt if you want to get into acting or some form of the media industry. Stern business school is also great.

Tuition is extreme though, even in the era of schools constantly raising the amount.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:51 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveneye217 View Post
Interned with a NYU student last year; he was cool. Basically he told me the NYU student body is pretty mixed. Lots of hipsters, lots of privileged whites who think they're better than everyone else. As for the school itself, Tisch kicks butt if you want to get into acting or some form of the media industry. Stern business school is also great.

Tuition is extreme though, even in the era of schools constantly raising the amount.

Stern was and or still is highly ranked for their MBA degree (see: http://poetsandquants.com/2011/07/27...fund-wannabes/)

But on balance many say NYU is where Ivy League wannbes end up. Both New York and other high school grads that couldn't make it into an IVY arrive at New York University with the belief it is "just as good". For the money that place charges it should be...

New York University however has always suffered from not having the sort of real campus you'd find at Harvard, Yale or even Columbia. It has pretty much taken over the area around Washington Square Park turning it into a defacto "quad", but that isn't the same.

Don't know about their other majors but for nursing NYU takes in huge classes (300 or more), and has a very good passing rate. Mind you much of the program is in large lecture halls, online and so forth. But if you can thrive in that sort of environment then it isn't so bad. Some need more intimate or hand-holding and would get lost.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:43 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,358,452 times
NYU is a real estate trust which happens to also provide "education".

Joke's on its students.

Except for the STERN and Med/Dentistry/Nursing Schools, NYU is a huge rip-off.

Old 12-19-2015, 11:21 AM

145 posts, read 160,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
NYU is a real estate trust which happens to also provide "education".

Joke's on its students.

Except for the STERN and Med/Dentistry/Nursing Schools, NYU is a huge rip-off.
There are a deer amount of students who get this, but for those who want to be in film or finance NYU is the only game in town.

I'm shocked that they don't invest more in their students. With their location and history, if they invested more in their students Columbia and Fordham wouldn't stand a chance attracting top talent

Old 12-19-2015, 11:53 AM

236 posts, read 271,836 times
Fordham is really underrated. It attracts quality students and offers great job placement. As for Columbia, a rigorous education and has the name to go with it. Can't speak about NYU.

Old 12-19-2015, 05:51 PM

Fordham is pretty underrated, but for most transplants NYC is basically Greenwich Village, Meatpacking, and Union Square. Transplant neighborhood snobs aren't going to want to go to school in UWS or the Bronx.

Going forward native New Yorkers will see the schools as Columbia> Fordham>NYU transplants will see the schools as NYU>everything else

Old 12-19-2015, 05:57 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,899 times
quote:
I'm shocked that they don't invest more in their students.

HAHAHAAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA
HAhAHHAhaH
AHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH
AHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH x 5000000000000000000000000

Why would an institution that is MADE on raping people for 50K a year for the "New York City experience" give a crap aout that?! hAHAHhaHAHAHA

Old 12-19-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
quote:

Why would an institution that is MADE on raping people for 50K a year for the "New York City experience" give a crap aout that?! hAHAHhaHAHAHA
NYU attracts decent students who can pay the tuition. They basically "win" students by default and have a very high attrition rate once the students figure out they have been conned and their tuition dollars would be better spent elsewhere. This usually takes 2 semesters.

Old 07-18-2020, 08:06 AM

4 posts, read 1,166 times
Alright I am drastically late to this party but let me say, I have been in a relationship with an NYU senior for 10 months now, and that relationship led me here. Not only did he party his way off of the soccer team and out of the scholarship he received from it as a freshman, but he doesn't show up to classes, barely skates through, and now for his last online summer course, turns it on and sticks it in the corner muted. Yet I'm constantly met with the fact that he goes to an NYU Tandon school, (he does digital media for gods sakes, dropped computer engineering because he couldn't pass it just skating by) so therefore he is a proven intellectual, not just that, but smarter than I am, along with it.

I think he misses the fact that me being absolutely uninterested in paying for a superficial, 40k a year title of which the world's richest and highest regarded business men say are obsolete makes me a bit brighter than someone who runs around using NYU for 'clout points', if you will. I mean honestly, somebody who doesn't even ****ing go.

So from my own personal experience, very pretentious. Which led me to come to find out if others are too or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City