Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 08:26 AM

5 posts, read 17,576 times

Advertisements

i just want to know what we pay union dues for ive been a teamster local 813 member for 23 years now and recently have lost my job. i have been out of work for two months now and looking every day now with no help from my union.local 813 represents over 480 private sanitation companies and they cant even help me get a job at not even one of those companies ive been a faithful long time member of 813 for 23 years that should count for something and not one single person from 813 has help me out what so ever. what the hell do we pay dues for
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 08:39 AM

979 posts, read 4,457,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpopa66 View Post
i just want to know what we pay union dues for ive been a teamster local 813 member for 23 years now and recently have lost my job. i have been out of work for two months now and looking every day now with no help from my union.local 813 represents over 480 private sanitation companies and they cant even help me get a job at not even one of those companies ive been a faithful long time member of 813 for 23 years that should count for something and not one single person from 813 has help me out what so ever. what the hell do we pay dues for
As someone who on occasion has hired carting companys for demolition purposes I can tell you that for every union truck they have, they have 2 non union ones. The only reason they still have the union one is to get work on union jobs. Other then that they always recommend their non union company.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:00 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,062,511 times
You didn't say how you lost your job, 23 years on the job? doesn't seniority play a factor when layoffs are involved?
As far as unions are concerned they only benefit their leaders,as they are all corrupt. One has to realize what makes somebody want to be a union president in the first place.

They haven't hired anybody at the DSNY in 2 years, even though there haven't been any layoffs in a long time they are reducing the workforce making the union(831)weaker.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:21 AM

5 posts, read 17,576 times
i have work for many companies in the past 23 years my last job thier was a wrongful misunderstanding and i was let go without any verbal or written warning or suspension i went to my union to greeve it and i have been getting the run around because i feel the union rep is for management and is trying to avoid the greevance because the company is wrong and right now i dont have the money to hire a lawyer to fight it for me

Old 08-16-2010, 06:38 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,062,511 times
Quote:
i have work for many companies in the past 23 years my last job thier was a wrongful misunderstanding and i was let go without any verbal or written warning or suspension i went to my union to greeve it and i have been getting the run around because i feel the union rep is for management and is trying to avoid the greevance because the company is wrong and right now i dont have the money to hire a lawyer to fight it for me
That sucks man, what is the point of a union if they don't fight for you? Aren't there always jobs available in private sanitation, both union and non union? I would figure it has a very high turnover rate because of the grueling work loads.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:25 PM

10 posts, read 30,634 times
Quote:
If you feel your union is giving you the run-around and you were wrongly let go file a grievance with EEOC and they will investigate it and tell you if you can sue. Dont let them get away with it, just because you don't have money for a lawyer that shouldnt discourage you from trying to get help there are agencies you can go to that dont ask for money. You can file a grievance against your union as well if you feel they are putting you oin the back burner in favor of management.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:25 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
You pay your dues in order to keep your benefits alive. Even if you dont work until the day you retire, union dues kept in good standing in order to recieve retirement benefits. Look it up in your manual.

Local 813, International Brotherhood of Teamsters (http://www.teamsters813.org/index.shtml - broken link)

Old 11-06-2010, 07:31 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
You pay your dues in order to keep your benefits alive. Even if you dont work until the day you retire, union dues kept in good standing in order to recieve retirement benefits. Look it up in your manual.

Local 813, International Brotherhood of Teamsters (http://www.teamsters813.org/index.shtml - broken link)
Thank you. There are a lot of people who belong to my union (TWU) who ought to read your paragraph, too!

Old 11-06-2010, 07:46 AM

1,391 posts, read 2,646,750 times
Quote:
what the hell do we pay dues for
I haven't the foggiest clue. What in sam-picking-hell do union members pay dues for? When you're statistically going to be out of a job regardless then most Americans including myself, don't even see the point in joining in the first place, much less fork over more money from our paychecks on top of taxes and other withholdings and everything else.

At any rate, I hope things get better for you. Keep your head up.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:03 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
What in sam-picking-hell do union members pay dues for?
Many have their Medical benefits come from the union. So even if they lose their jobs and stay in good standings with the union, you have Medical benefits. And when you retire, you have benefits that exceed what Medicare gives you. You also have a Pension ( not like the garbage 401k all the non union people have and many lost) waiting. Also if you have the spouse rider, your spouse also has certain rights depending on the contract/union.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: