Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 07:53 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,215,020 times

Advertisements

Hi - I'm moving from California to New York for maybe a year. Basically, I just need a change of everything.

I have no idea where to even start looking for a place to live. I was thinking New Jersey would be cheaper to live. I plan on working in the publishing world in NY city. It would be great to live in the city but the prices will be too high for me.

I haven't left yet because I'm not sure if I should take a chance and go there to look for a place in person, or if I should try to arrange something before I get there. Without a job, I thought it might be hard to get an apartment.

Anyway advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 08:17 PM

151 posts, read 300,874 times
California is a huge state. Where in California do you live?

What is your budget? That would help a lot.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:58 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,215,020 times
Southern Calif.

Basically, I was hoping to pay about $1500 for a one-bedroom or studio. I saw some nice studios on forrent.com in NY for $2500. Without a job, that would be too scary for me. Once I start working I can put all my salary on rent/utilities though since I don't have any other debt. But for now, I can't count on that.

This is supposed to be a fun adventure for me but so far it's just anxiety!

Old 08-24-2010, 10:00 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,837 times
So your moving to NYC but looking for a place in New Jersey? Thats like someone from the east coast saying they are moving to Los Angeles but the are looking for a place in Nevada!

Old 08-24-2010, 10:10 PM

242 posts, read 1,184,792 times
You can get a nice studio or one bed for $1500 in Brooklyn or Queens for sure. Might even be able to find a studio for that price in Manhattan.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:21 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
I really wouldn't move here and expect to work in publishing. It's a dying industry.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:04 AM

542 posts, read 1,479,215 times
I would recommend looking into a sublet(furnished if you can find it). There are TONS in NYC and would fit within your budget. Look in the Williamsburg area of Brooklyn, Astoria in Queens.., etc other places people recommend here....craigslist is a good place, just be wary of scams...although the scams are pretty transparent and easy to spot, IMO. With a sublet you can have a place to stay but not a long term commitment (1 yr+) if you don't like the neighborhood, and they can often be easier to rent (usually no broker, not half of your bank account for a deposit, etc). Also, often those that are subletting have rent controlled apartments then rent them slightly higher to make a buck (whether this is legal or not, I have no idea, but you still get cheaper rent than elsewhere).

Are you planning on just showing up? I had a friend who did that who stayed in a hostel for a few days until he got a room for rent, and then once another friend of ours gets out there, they are going to get a place together. My husband and I are moving in October, and according to the woman we are renting from, it is fairly common for people to move from sublet to sublet a few times during the first year or two until you get settled and more established (a job, etc).

hope this helps!

Old 08-25-2010, 11:13 AM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,751 times
Agreed - definitely sublet. And be prepared to make very little money. Even during the good times, entry-level publishing salaries were just awful.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:44 PM

20 posts, read 95,773 times
i just made the move 2 months ago from LA to NYC for the same reason, just needed a change of scenery. i found a job first before moving. i'd def recommend that. and it would be agood idea to sublet after finding the job so u can take some time to find your apt. its not so easy finding an apartment in nyc compared to la. i was paying 1650 for a studio in LA (marina del rey), and for something just as nice it's costing me 2250 in nyc (tribeca)

Old 08-25-2010, 02:46 PM

874 posts, read 1,660,021 times
How much money do you have saved, SCal2010?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City