Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 07:36 PM

43 posts, read 276,968 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I was thinking of investing in an apartment or two in BedStuy, for the price of a cheap studio in Manhattan I can get a large 3 bedroom there but a lot of people tell me it is Dangerous. I have only lived in Manhattan a year and do not know the areas too well but I do want to invest in an apartment and i thought that was one of the cheapest areas that seemed ok when I walked around with my broker. Any ideas about this area or other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 09:32 PM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Trystan View Post
Hi,

I was thinking of investing in an apartment or two in BedStuy, for the price of a cheap studio in Manhattan I can get a large 3 bedroom there but a lot of people tell me it is Dangerous. I have only lived in Manhattan a year and do not know the areas too well but I do want to invest in an apartment and i thought that was one of the cheapest areas that seemed ok when I walked around with my broker. Any ideas about this area or other suggestions?
depends on what part of bed-stuy. its a huge neighborhood.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-14-2010, 09:56 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,499,620 times
It's dangerous.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:32 PM

20 posts, read 108,794 times
the days of gentrifying new neighborhoods are OVER! there will be no more success stories of you buying a home and selling it for triple the price. you missed the boat, that was LAST decade. you will buy and be sorry trying to look cool to your unhip friends. that neighborhood has always been a bad case of diarreah waiting to happen

Old 09-14-2010, 10:08 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,813,926 times
[quote=Amber Trystan;15874740]

I have only lived in Manhattan a year and do not know the areas too well [quote]
How is it possible to live in Manhattan or ANY place here and have never heard about BedStuy?
Why would u even consider spending money on a property and NOT know all the facts about the crime rate?
You come here to find out?
Are u serious?
Google Bed Stuy "crime".
Simple, simple.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:41 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,522,142 times
Kingfish- perhaps she was hoping you'd actually help her and be constructive. After all if everyone on here was an expert - there would be no need for posting or asking questions.

I know you want to help so to make up for your condescending post -after work take a walk through the parts of Bed Sty that you think are bad. Make sure you flash some gold jewelry and have a few bills visible hanging out of your pocket. Carry a nice laptop with wireless so you can report instantly on your findings.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:17 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times
Dangerous? Depends on the crossroads. Either way, I've never really been a big fan of the population there, too many projects for my taste.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:24 PM

160 posts, read 1,679,305 times
kids these days (heh heh) investing in bed stuy= bad idea

Old 09-16-2010, 06:57 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,792,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Kingfish- perhaps she was hoping you'd actually help her and be constructive. After all if everyone on here was an expert - there would be no need for posting or asking questions.

I know you want to help so to make up for your condescending post -after work take a walk through the parts of Bed Sty that you think are bad. Make sure you flash some gold jewelry and have a few bills visible hanging out of your pocket. Carry a nice laptop with wireless so you can report instantly on your findings.
Don't forget the ipod......LOL

Old 09-29-2010, 12:50 PM

1 posts, read 13,743 times
I've lived in Bed-Stuy for a year and I love it here. The neighborhood has been in a process of revitalization for more than 10 years. And I haven't experienced any of the supposed rampant crime the other posters have mentioned. You do need to know the area really to find a good location (mostly to be near conveniences not to avoid crime). The more impoverished areas are on the outskirts of the neighborhood near Bushwick but the center is really quite nice. There are some really beautiful tree-lined brownstone blocks (all down Hancock St. is gorgeous) and more and more cute restaurants, wine bars, and boutiques popping up. You have farmers markets and CSAs too. To see what's going on check out bedstuyblog.com, brooklynian.com, and brownstoner.com. Each talks about the how area is developing and the interesting things the community is already doing.

Most of this action is concentrated on the A train between Nostrand and Utica going North from Fulton Street and going towards the sub-neighborhood "Stuyvesant Heights". I'm looking to buy a brownstone (You can actually get a 2 or 3 family brownstone for $500K in some places!) Not for an investment, but because I really like the neighborhood. I recommend just checking it out and seeing if you like it. You should stay a night at the Akwabaa Mansion (a cute bed and breakfast owned by the former editor of Essence magazine who lives in the neighborhood) and just explore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City