Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2010, 01:36 PM

10 posts, read 26,203 times

Advertisements

Ok, Im planning on surprising my wife with a trip to ny for her birthday, 3 or 4 day trip her and I. She has always wanted to go see nyc, I have been there twice both times i stayed with friends once in manhattan the other in Park slope Brooklyn ( wich was awesome!) . I looked into a couple bed and breakfast for one of the days but all are booked . other than the manhattan tour where else can i take her ? Nice restaurants some shoping things women like to do and see, but before you start throwing things out there Im on a firemans budjet!!! looking to spend 3k or a little more for the trip. thanks in advance for any help or comments !
P.S whats the weather like in late Oct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 02:44 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,309,749 times
First off, how sweet are you!! Your wife will love the trip.

The weather in late Oct is perfect fall weather, likely ranging from 50-70 and possibly a chance to see some of the leaves start to turn color.

It depends on what she likes, but some fun things to do are:
-window shop along 5th Avenue in the 50's (Huge beautiful stores like Tiffany & Co's flagship, Saks Fifth Avenue, Bergdorf Goodman).
-explore some of the unique neighborhoods like Little Italy, West Village, Brooklyn Heights, Chinatown, Lower East Side.
-visit one or two of NYC's famous museums (MOMA to see Van Gough's "Starry Night" and Monet's "Water Lillies", The Metropolitan Museum to see great Egyptian exhibits and many famous Post-Impressionism paintings, the Musuem of Natural History to see the dinosaurs).
-Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge (takes about 30 minutes) and have pizza at Grimaldi's when you get to the othe side (free, except the pizza!)
-Take a walk through Central Park and explore all it's nooks and crannies (totally free!)
-Take a walk trough the West Village. Try to pick out which brownstone on St Luke's place was the streer scene for Carrie's apartment in Sex & The City. Then walk over to Bleeker and buy an overpriced cupcake at Magnolia Bakery, also featured in the show.
-Visit the Bronx Zoo or Botanical Gardens
-Get a bird's eye view of Manhattan at "Top of the Rock" in Rockefeller Center. Expensive, but best view of the Empire State Building.
-Check out NYC's two most famous shopping experiences, Bloomingdale's on 59th & Lex and Macy's at Herald Square.

For a nice dinner, Fig & Olive is great Mediterranean food in the Meatpacking District. Pearl's Oyster Bar is a charming new England seafood restaurant in the West Village. For lunch, be sure to stop into any pizza place for a great slice of pie! Or check out Russ & Daughters for a traditional bagel breakfast. There is so much good food all over te city, just check the menus and eat where you like!

As for hotels, how much do you want to spend a night? That would help us.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:35 PM

43,680 posts, read 44,425,236 times
As an alternative to the Bronx Botanical Gardens (which has free grounds admission on Wednesdays), you could visit the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens (which has free admission on Tuesdays) which is a bit smaller but better for someone that is visiting NYC just for a short visit.
I also suggest visiting the Museum of the City of NY which gives you an overview of the history of NYC (Museum of the City of New York) and has a suggested admission (meaning you can pay as much/little as you like).
The Metropolitan Museum, the American Museum of Natural History (not including the Planetarium) & the Brooklyn Museum have similar suggested admission/contribution policies (of paying as much/little as you like).
Also if you decide to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, I suggest you stroll along the Brooklyn Promenade for a nice view of Lower Manhattan (once you reach the Brooklyn side).

Old 09-22-2010, 07:01 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,251,293 times
What is your wife interested in? Guests who have visited me have enjoyed:

-An afternoon drink in the lobby bar of the Mandarin Oriental, it is on a high floor overlooking Central Park and the setting is breathtaking

-A discount Broadway show (get tickets at the TKTS booth in Times Square)

-Pick up some treats from Fat Witch Brownies, Amy's Bread, and Ronnybrook Farms at Chelsea Market and eat them while sitting on the Highline (our newest, coolest park)

-See a few big ticket pieces at the Metropolitan Museum of Art or Moma (just pick a few or else it is too overwhelming)

-Walk through Bergdorf Goodman - every big city has a Sak's, a Macy's or a Bloomingdales, but there is only one Bergdorfs and even the ladies' room has a great view
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: