Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 05:33 AM

5 posts, read 20,770 times

Advertisements

As I stare out my Bronx window, I wonder where did my NY go? It sucks today it actually used to be a real city, now its all BS. I remember back in the day when you got beaten to death for saying the wrong thing in somebody elses neighborhood, today you don't really see that. I remember no yuppies or hipsters. No wannabe gangstas, just real GANGSTERS. I miss my old NY, oh, oh where did it go? When you were kid and played games on your block all night, protecting your turf, everybody was REALLY tough none of today's crap with guns. Sure there was gangs, based on many things, neighborhoods, ethnicity, race, etc. You had Italians, Irish, Puerto Ricans, Blacks etc. Most of the time we put our differences behind us when we grew up; NY used to be the best place in the world. It was a great city, it lost it's identity though, long, long ago...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 07:16 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,262,911 times
You're going to get alot of heat for starting the thread but know how you feel. I thought I would never want to move away but now I'm considering it since the whole culture, history, identity the city once had is almost gone. I was walking through FT Greene the other day and almost cried to see what happened to this place. Seeing these hipsters thinking they're so cool becuase they live in a cultural historical neighborhood, but guess what you just killed it all.... Honestly there is nothing cool about people being priced out and having to move away from their homes because they can't afford to live there anymore. I mean what's so cool about a whole bunch of transplants and hipsters living in the same area, it get's watered down and stale. Might as well have stayed where you came from.. And that's my rant for the day..

Old 09-28-2010, 08:31 AM

307 posts, read 637,383 times
If the economic trends and shrinking of the middle-class keep up, you may just get your wish. Although be careful what you wish for. Walking around being scared for your life may seem rosier when waxed nostalgic, but its not really fun while its happening

Old 09-28-2010, 08:41 AM

5 posts, read 20,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1973 View Post
If the economic trends and shrinking of the middle-class keep up, you may just get your wish. Although be careful what you wish for. Walking around being scared for your life may seem rosier when waxed nostalgic, but its not really fun while its happening
It wasn't like that, my block was where everybody knew everyone, helped out the old ladies, it was a nice place, sure stuff went down once in a while but that was it. We had fun then though I recall playing stickball in the street today it's a much different place, you dont even have a street to at stickball lol it makes me sick, now Bloomberg wants to BAN smoking in Parks and outdoors? What is this coming to? I remember when we used to smoke on the trains and subways. What a joke...

Old 09-28-2010, 08:53 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
If it makes you feel better, tell me where you live, and me and my homeys will beat the crap out of you with bats. We will also rob you and your family...all in the name of protecting our turf of course. We could do this on a recurring basis so that it feels like home again.

I think the nostalgia of turf wars, and being afraid to walk down the street is alot better than it actually is. As soon as your sister/mom gets beaten or raped, I don't think you will miss the old NY as much as you think...but who knows.

On my block it was not like that at all..everyone knew everyone..and still does, and everyone looks out for everyone, and still does. The only thing that has changed on my block is that we all got older, and the streets a heck of alot safer. I welcome the new faces and the changes in NYC...thats what NYC is all about.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:04 AM

916 posts, read 2,246,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieM234 View Post
As I stare out my Bronx window, I wonder where did my NY go? It sucks today it actually used to be a real city, now its all BS. I remember back in the day when you got beaten to death for saying the wrong thing in somebody elses neighborhood, today you don't really see that. I remember no yuppies or hipsters. No wannabe gangstas, just real GANGSTERS. I miss my old NY, oh, oh where did it go? When you were kid and played games on your block all night, protecting your turf, everybody was REALLY tough none of today's crap with guns. Sure there was gangs, based on many things, neighborhoods, ethnicity, race, etc. You had Italians, Irish, Puerto Ricans, Blacks etc. Most of the time we put our differences behind us when we grew up; NY used to be the best place in the world. It was a great city, it lost it's identity though, long, long ago...
Honestly.... I don't miss any of the stuff you mentioned in your post. I hope your version of old New York never come back again. I do miss
the old New York city as well, just not the stuff you mentioned here.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:31 AM
grant516

n/a posts
By your definition DETROIT, MI is now the best place in the world.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:48 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
By your definition DETROIT, MI is now the best place in the world.
Agreed. The OP wants a time to come back when u got beat up for being on the wrong neighborhood. Get in touch with the parents of Yusef Hawkins and see what they think of that statement. Im not a fan of yuppies, hipsters ect... but at the very least they dont have a reputation for bringing crime to an area. Just naivety.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:47 PM

83 posts, read 121,359 times
Moderator cut: Not necessary Protection your turf? Lol you don't own anything but your home. Hell! You didn't even own that back then cuz you were a kid. Moderator cut: Not necessary That's just my opinion though..

Last edited by bmwguydc; 10-05-2010 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: Not necessary

Old 09-28-2010, 03:35 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieM234 View Post
NYC died twice, during the 70s during the white flight and recent times due to gentrification, old nyc will never come back. Only small remineants of old nyc exist in parts of south Brooklyn and through out parts of the Bronx. Astoria was a Greek and Italian niegborhood and now its a major stop for transplants who can not afford Manhattan. Williamsburg was once a place where Italians, Jews and Puerto Ricans once live and now its a Hipster wonderland. It is sad that Harlem is no longer Black and Bensonhurst is no longer Italian and soon Mott Haven wont be Puerto Rican any more. Sometimes you have to move with the times. Luckly for me I just came back from North Carolina and scooping out places to live and I'm gonna go away again in a couple of weeks to scoop out more areas to live in other states. Any way the Italian, Puerto Rican, Irish, Jewish and Black NYC is all but gone and slowly being replaced, by Dominican, Chinese, Russian, Indian and other ethnic groups, but Blacks and Jews will still have major population dominance while Italains, Puerto Ricans, and Irish numbers decline through out the city

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 09-28-2010 at 04:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City