Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 09:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,609 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I've been reading the helpful information you've posted already on this forum and could use your advice.

I'm moving from L.A. county (suburbs) to get an M.A. in Manhattan. I've never been to the East Coast before and I don't know anything about NYC areas except that I should avoid Harlem... I want to live somewhere safe as a single 20-something woman. My school is at 335 Broadway/93 Worth St. 10th Floor New York, NY 10013 and I am applying to work at the campus. On 1-2 nights a week I will get out of class at 10pm and need to travel home. Please give me insight on where would be good to live, easily accessible from the subway lines with stops near my school.

I will be able to spend between $500-1000 a month on rent.

What can you tell me about the following places: Kensington, 429 East 3rd Street b/w Ave C and Beverly, 186th (between Bennett & Overlook), Washington Heights, Riverdale, Westmount apartments

The school's website gives the following directions:
===========================
Subway Directions to the Manhattan Center

4, 5 ,6 to Brooklyn Bridge/CIty Hall; walk west to Broadway; walk north 4 blocks to 335 Broadway/93 Worth Street

J, M, Z to Brooklyn Bridge/CIty Hall; walk west to Broadway; walk north 4 blocks to 335 Broadway/93 Worth Street

1, 2, 3, 9to Chambers St.; walk east 2 blocks to Broadway; walk north 4 blocks to 335 Broadway/93 Worth Street

N, Rto CIty Hall; walk north 4 blocks to 335 Broadway/93 Worth Street

A, C to Chambers St.; walk east 1 block to Broadway; walk north 4 blocks to 335 Broadway/93 Worth Street
===========================

Thank you so much!

-Stephanie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 10:48 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,801,587 times
The Washington Heights address is the worst of the bunch. It's on the better side of Washington Heights, but still. Wouldn't recommend it for a female new to the city.

Westmount apartments, don't know where that is.

Scatman may be able to give you a better breakdown on that Brooklyn address. Pretty sure that is an okay area. Not familiar with Kensington.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:40 PM

954 posts, read 4,378,831 times
We looked at Kensington when we recently relocated from Park Slope.
It's ok, but except a few areas it is very residential. IE going to be inconvenient without a car.
You should look in Sunset Park or even better Bay Ridge. Its about 45 minutes to Manhattan on the N train. My sister is lives in LA. I could see her living in Bay Ridge before I could see her in Washington Heights. Riverdale in general is nice, but just kind of a pain to get to.
You had better plan on having to spend the upper limit on your budget to get something nice with any space at all. You can get a studio in Bay Ridge for around 850 or 900

Old 07-04-2007, 02:43 AM

I would avoid Sunset Park. Shady areas. Bay Ridge is the better neighborhood.

Riverdale is a also good.

Old 07-05-2007, 03:42 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,253,462 times
Be prepared to get several roomates your budget is very small.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:18 PM

4 posts, read 9,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
The Washington Heights address is the worst of the bunch. It's on the better side of Washington Heights, but still. Wouldn't recommend it for a female new to the city.

Westmount apartments, don't know where that is.

Scatman may be able to give you a better breakdown on that Brooklyn address. Pretty sure that is an okay area. Not familiar with Kensington.

Oh, come on...

your info about The Heights is sooooo out of date!

I'm also a 20-something female, from europe. and i moved to washington heights, being new to the city. to tell you the truth, i loved it, and i still love it. in 4 years i lived there, i never had a problem walking around the neighborhood, not even very late at night. people are very nice and polite there. it seems to me that your oppinion is based only on some stupid stereotypes.

WashHeights is a really nice place to live, i truly recomend it to anyone - male or female.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:40 PM

564 posts, read 1,727,505 times
Washington Heights isn't a "ghetto" or poverty like neighborhood, no matter what some say here. It isn't a "really nice place" neighborhood either, but some place where you can live and be perfectly fine. Last I went to it, the neighborhood was quite dirty, but that was over a year ago. Crime isn't big though.

Riverdale is a brilliant neighborhood, one of the best in the whole city. Very calm, extremely quiet, no crime. But it's a wealthy neighborhood too, and you have to be prepared to pay quite a bit. I'd suggest you move to other Northwest Bronx neighborhoods, such as Woodlawn or Van Cortlandt Village (Northern Kingsbridge Heights), where rent is half Riverdale's, where crime is just as low, the area is almost as quiet, and the transit to Manhattan is easier. I suggest Woodlawn ESPECIALLY if you're Irish.

Old 07-10-2007, 05:08 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,841,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seijitsu View Post
What can you tell me about the following places: Kensington, 429 East 3rd Street b/w Ave C and Beverly, 186th (between Bennett & Overlook), Washington Heights, Riverdale, Westmount apartments
Actually, 186th between Bennett & Overlook is a pretty decent area. I'm surprised, though, that you've found a legitimate listing for less than $1,000 (unless it's a share) -- are you sure about the amount?

If you DO move up there, there's an A train stop at 190th Street, as well as 181st Street. The train runs express from 168th Street, and can get you to your school in about 50 minutes (door-to-door).

I hope this helps!

Old 07-10-2007, 05:09 PM

122 posts, read 790,707 times
I spoke too soon in that other thread. *sigh*

I live in Kensington. That Beverly Rd./Ave C address is fairly quiet and safe. Yes, like someone has already said, it's largely residential (one of my few grievances about the area is that there aren't many bars around here. There are some old-Irish-guy bars and a couple new hipster bars--I didn't notice the lack of bars until I came back home from college). Kensington has changed like most other Brooklyn neighborhoods, but not nearly as much.

However, my commute to work in lower Manhattan takes about 25 min., which is cool. I think it's a pretty central location. The F and Q/B are around here, as is Prospect Park. There's also Park Slope, which is 15-20 min. walking (uphill) from where I am. If that's your bag.

If you're living alone, how did you find a place in this area in your price range?--just curious. It's not that expensive, but not as affordable as Bay Ridge or Sunset seem to be, either.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaMara169th View Post
Oh, come on...

your info about The Heights is sooooo out of date!

I'm also a 20-something female, from europe. and i moved to washington heights, being new to the city. to tell you the truth, i loved it, and i still love it. in 4 years i lived there, i never had a problem walking around the neighborhood, not even very late at night. people are very nice and polite there. it seems to me that your oppinion is based only on some stupid stereotypes.

WashHeights is a really nice place to live, i truly recomend it to anyone - male or female.
You just explained why you don't know what your talking about:

Quote:
I'm also a 20-something female, from europe.
I don't base anything on stereotypes, I base it on my own experiences on Washington Heights and what people who live there have told me.

Here are some facts I will again post:

-The Washington Heights address is the worst of that bunch. Fact. When was the last time there was a major drug bust in Riverdale, or someone even someone shot (For the Heights, last night). Her priority is SAFETY. Shootings, and more a personal concern robberies and assualts are common in Washington Heights.

-As a female new to NYC she will feel odd about living in an area where most adults do not even speak english. An area which also has a large amount of poverty. It also sucks to be the minorty. Trust me. In the Heights, she will REALLY be a minority.

Just becuase you havn't had a bad experience only means you have been fortunate. Nothing more then that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak View Post
Washington Heights isn't a "ghetto" or poverty like neighborhood, no matter what some say here. It isn't a "really nice place" neighborhood either, but some place where you can live and be perfectly fine. Last I went to it, the neighborhood was quite dirty, but that was over a year ago. Crime isn't big though.

Riverdale is a brilliant neighborhood, one of the best in the whole city. Very calm, extremely quiet, no crime. But it's a wealthy neighborhood too, and you have to be prepared to pay quite a bit. I'd suggest you move to other Northwest Bronx neighborhoods, such as Woodlawn or Van Cortlandt Village (Northern Kingsbridge Heights), where rent is half Riverdale's, where crime is just as low, the area is almost as quiet, and the transit to Manhattan is easier. I suggest Woodlawn ESPECIALLY if you're Irish.
The Heights is a ghetto. It's poor, there is a lot of drug activity. Ask any kid on the street and he will call it the ghetto.

Last edited by Hustla718; 07-10-2007 at 10:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: