Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 10:43 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,624,714 times

Advertisements

Study: NYC Parents Can't Tell If Their Kids Are Fat - Gothamist

Quote:
Last month, the Department of Health released a study showing that 40% of the city's public school children are overweight or obese. But a new study is showing that either their parents aren't taking their kids to the doctor enough, or they have no idea what an obese person looks like.
How can people be so oblivious to their kids health?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 05:02 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,959,243 times
Because they themselves are oblivious to their own health

Old 10-07-2010, 07:37 AM

479 posts, read 1,443,251 times
I am glad Bloomberg (great mayor!) has been doing things about it...

http://www.nypolitics.com/2010/03/08...for-sugar-tax/

Old 10-07-2010, 08:07 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,381,509 times
Yeah alot of it has to do with the parents not having a clue how to take care of themselves, let alone a child. The parents are in poor health, everyone around them is in poor health (obese), so the normal state for them is poor health i.e. obesity. Furthermore, there is a cultural factor where bigger is perceived as "healthier." Although I would agree that 100 years ago and longer that was the case, it is not the case now.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:06 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,823,253 times
They also changed the "The Cookie monster" on sesame street to "The Veggie monster"
I feel bad for the upcoming generation.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:12 AM

If that's the worst that they have to deal with, I think the upcoming generation has nothing to worry about and certainly nothing to feel bad about. I would gladly take the "Veggie Monster" over the usual street fights, filth, crime, and destruction of our inner cities that I and prior generations had to deal with.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:13 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,613,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
They also changed the "The Cookie monster" on sesame street to "The Veggie monster"
I feel bad for the upcoming generation.
Once upon a time, you could serve Sugar Pops to your kids for breakfast. But--goodness gracious, great balls of fire!--that isn't healthy. And so the offending word was deleted, and replaced with an actual vegetable. That's why you go to the store today and buy Corn Pops. Never mind that the ingredients are exactly the same as they were 40 years ago; the kiddies are still ingesting the same amount of sugar. We just don't say so publicly, which makes it OK. (It's also why Tony the Tiger promotes Frosted Flakes; there's a whole generation who doesn't stop to think about what they're frosted with--they used to be called Sugar Frosted Flakes).

Old 10-07-2010, 09:17 AM

307 posts, read 637,730 times
eliminating fast food 2 - 3X a day would be a good start for some of these parents. Feed your child some healthy, cooked meals, don't just give them 4$ to go to McDonalds. This obesity trend is going to hurt all of us, as people are more likely to get sick earlier in life, health insurance costs continue to skyrocket. I'm as liberal as they come, but this has to stop. It is every individuals own responsibility to live a healthy lifestyle. Tax sugar, trans-fats and fast food.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:29 AM

The fatter people get, the more fit I look = the more lovin I get. Eat away America!

Old 10-07-2010, 09:41 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,823,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Once upon a time, you could serve Sugar Pops to your kids for breakfast. But--goodness gracious, great balls of fire!--that isn't healthy. And so the offending word was deleted, and replaced with an actual vegetable. That's why you go to the store today and buy Corn Pops. Never mind that the ingredients are exactly the same as they were 40 years ago; the kiddies are still ingesting the same amount of sugar. We just don't say so publicly, which makes it OK. (It's also why Tony the Tiger promotes Frosted Flakes; there's a whole generation who doesn't stop to think about what they're frosted with--they used to be called Sugar Frosted Flakes).
That's insane.
The thing about sugar is that it's not all that bad for you. Kids need sugar- Whether this nation want's you to believe that or not. With the way they put all the steroids and added hormones put into the chicken nuggets (among other meats), natural sugar is the least of our problems. You have to pay nearly double for anything natural, including REAL sugar.
They have all these artificial sugars they put into things and label it "Healthy" (when they mean cheap) in a generation that's fatter than ever.

When I was gaining weight around middle school, it was my mother who told me i'm getting fat, so she helped me get fit again- Call DYFS on that B
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City