Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2010, 08:26 AM

22 posts, read 40,814 times

Advertisements

I might be moving to the city sometimes in the fall next year so I would like to find some information. I know New York is not the safest place. But I will be moving by myself and wanted to be the safest as I can be. When does most of the violence happen? Is it mostly during the night or does it happen during the day too? What places should I try to avoid? I heard Manhattan is the safest place to live. I will be able to spend $1200 a month maybe even more and I was thinking about Manhattan. Even if the place is crappy and I might try a roomate if I can't find anything by myself. If not Manhattan, where are some other places thats safer to live. I would like someplace where there is less breakins and violence than other places. I will know no one in town so I would like to find out some info first. Also, is it true that people from New York are rude? I am a very nice person and would like to make friends there. I don't believe it when everyone says they are rude in NY, so I want to ask you. Maybe I see the nice from everyone, I just can't see how everyone can be rude in a state.

Thanks!!!

Also, if there is anything I should know about New York in general, just let me know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 09:07 AM

412 posts, read 1,326,751 times
Who told you that NY is not one of the safest places to live?

Yes, there are some undesirable areas just like in other cities but it's not like as soon as you step off the plane, train or out of an automobile, someone is standing there waiting to do you harm.

NY is a very big city and you need to research where you want to live. What part of Manhattan, and if you only want to spend $1200/month you might have a really hard time finding something because Manhattan is the most expensive in NY to live.

There are RUDE PEOPLE EVERYWHERE, not just in New York and not every person you will encounter here is rude.

Remember, being rude, will get you a rude reaction. Most New Yorkers will stop and help.

I suggest before you come here you need to do some research about this city.

It's a great place to live but you can be eaten alive if you come here clueless.

The slogan, "If you can make it here you can make it anywhere" is absolutely true.

Good luck!

Old 10-07-2010, 09:19 AM

22 posts, read 40,814 times
I have asked several people online and they all tell me that If I come to New York that I better watch out. I Live in a small town, but I don't think New York is as dangerous as my states capital, which is Indianapolis. Thanks for the info. I'm glad to hear that I'm not just being naive, when I say how can the whole state of New York be dangerous.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:29 AM

412 posts, read 1,326,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caser007 View Post
I have asked several people online and they all tell me that If I come to New York that I better watch out. I Live in a small town, but I don't think New York is as dangerous as my states capital, which is Indianapolis. Thanks for the info. I'm glad to hear that I'm not just being naive, when I say how can the whole state of New York be dangerous.
You are quite welcome and like you will be fine, but first FIND EMPLOYMENT before you come.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:02 AM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times
NYC is considered one of the safest big cities in the USA.
Also NYers tend to be friendly and helpful to strangers.
There are many safe neighborhoods outside of Manhattan that you could find a studio apt. alone for up to $1200. For example, in Queens - Astoria, Rego Park & Forest Hills.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:23 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,160,996 times
I've was born here and lived here all my life. There are tons of 'Safe' neighborhoods here. Honestly, TV and movies make it look like you can't leave your house without encountering a violent incident. So not true. Definitely look in the areas mentioned above (Astoria, Rego Park). The only areas in Manhattan in that price range may be the lower east side or the upper west side. Go online and just peruse the apartments available on Craigslist (friend of mine just found her very nice Manhattan apartment through Craigslist). Good Luck!

Old 10-07-2010, 04:12 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caser007 View Post
I have asked several people online and they all tell me that If I come to New York that I better watch out. I Live in a small town, but I don't think New York is as dangerous as my states capital, which is Indianapolis....
The crime rate in NYC is nowhere near what it is in Indianaplis.

Crimes per 100,000 people: NYC 2,675 Indianapolis 7,251
Murders per 100,000 people: NYC 6.6 Indianapolis 13.5
Robberies " " : Nyc 305 Indianapolis 409
Assaults per 100,000 people: NYC 344 Indianapolis 505
Burglaries per 100,000 : NYC 286 Indianapolis 1443
Larcenies per 100,000 : NYC 1,490 Indianapolis 3,691
Car thefts per 100,000 : NYC 226 Indianapolis 1,124

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0004902.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City