Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2010, 08:34 PM

1 posts, read 6,282 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I am a 25 year old male that is about to accept an offer to transfer to NYC for my job. I have been employed by Delta Air Lines at our headquarters in Atlanta for the past 3+ years, and am desiring a change of location and pace (going from a corporate marketing role to a very operations-centric position at JFK airport).

I can't afford much, as I make $50,000/year. I'd love to stay in the $600-900/month range for an apartment, and am certainly willing to rent a studio if that's my only option. Is my budget realistic?

Do any of you have any suggestions related to some apartments near JFK/Queens/Brooklyn that I should look into? I have a car, but am definitely willing to take the subway/LIRR to get to the airport.

Thanks so much. I never thought I'd live in NY, and I don't think I can pass on this opportunity. I appreciate any help you can provide.

Cheers,
Ryan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 10:25 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,137,919 times
Congrats on your new job. I have heard that many pilots and flight attendants get crash pads in Kew Gardens, Queens, which is a pretty nice area with good public transportation. But you are going to pay $1100 for a studio apartment in that neighborhood, so that might be out of your range.

If you're going to keep your car and be driving to work, you will probably want to live in an area that does not have a subway - which will generally means lower prices for apartments and more street parking (if you do not want to pay for a garage).

I am not familiar enough with the areas not well-served by transit that would put you within an easy drive of JFK, but maybe other posters are.

btw, I don't think you will find a $600 apartment anywhere. Even $800 is pushing it. $900 is on the very low end for apartments anywhere in the NY area. Just do a search on craigslist and this will probably become clear.

With a salary of $50,000, you should be able to bring your apartment budget up to $1100-$1200 a month but I guess you will have to factor in car expenses which can be a huge drain (insurance is high and parking is expensive).

Old 06-22-2010, 11:01 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,290,825 times
You should check out Springfield Gardens or Ozone Park. A lot of JFK employees live in those areas as you could take the Q3, Q6, or the Q10 buses and be @ the airport in minutes (Belt Parkway or I-678 if you're driving). Problem is though you may have a hard time finding apts with less than 2 br's as much of the housing stock consists of 2-4 family homes with 2-3 bedrooms per unit esp in Springfield Gardens.

If you're dead set on a 1br you could take a look at Woodhaven (zip 11421) since it's a bit more built-up. Another option is Jamaica bet. Archer & Hillside (zip 11432).

Now as for your budget, 1br's for under $1000 are few and far in-between, but they definitely exist. You don't need a car to live in Queens, but it wouldn't hurt to keep it if you can afford the insurance.

Good luck.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:08 AM

43,674 posts, read 44,416,401 times
You could find a large studio apt. for approx. $1000 in Rego Park, Queens which would mean you would have take the subway a few stops to connect either to the Q10 bus (the cheaper & slower option) or to JFK Airtrain (which is the faster & much shorter option).
You might be able to find a small one bedroom (basement) apt. for $1100-1200 in Jackson Heights, Queens which is further away from JFK which would add quite a bit to your commute.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:13 AM

203 posts, read 665,020 times
I think if you want to be close to JFK and get a place for about $900...check out Woodhaven, Richmond Hill (both near the J train) and Ozone Park (near the A train).
The Airtrain will be expensive if you take it to commute every day. It would probably be a 15 min drive from the above neighborhoods to JFK.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:26 PM

425 posts, read 958,906 times
Howard Beach, Queens would be perfect, it has the Airtrain station right there at the A-Train station. $900 may be the starting point though.

Broad Channel, Rockaway Park, Rockaway Beach could all get you to JFK by A-Train/Air-Train in about 1/2 hour and you could drive there in about the same time. Bare in mind coming from the Rockaways there is a toll bridge going from Rockaway to Broacd Channel.

Broad Channel residents get free tolls on that bridge via EZ Pass, as the residents there rely on the Rockaways for daily shopping needs. Broad Channel is a small island in the middle of Jamaica Bay, and has some small stores, a few bars and a new pharmacy and not much else. Also if you decide on Broad Channel, keep in mind blocks on the West side will have to deal with montly high tides where water comes up in the street from the bay in the morning goes out and comes up again in the evening, these stretches last about 4-5 days during the week of the full moon.

Great neighboorhood, zero crime...but very isolated. You can google the CSI Criminal Intent Episode titled "Broad Channel" to see how the area looks...but they overdid the "backwater" vibe of the area. lots of cops & firemen in the area.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:09 PM

1 posts, read 6,166 times
Hi Ryan!
Congratulations on your new position and welcome to NYC. Please email me directly at your earliest convenience and I will be delighted to assist you with the relocation process.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:07 PM

1 posts, read 5,670 times
I have an apartment by the beach in the Rockaways. Call 7184741469 for more details...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City