Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 08:07 PM

721 posts, read 1,209,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirimini View Post
I don't know about the parking/residence issue, but can say that I just got insurance in Manhattan, and Amica was the lowest. I had called several companies in order to get quotes, then someone on this board suggested Amica; I called, they were the lowest, so I'm with them now.
Dirimini, Do you park your car at your residence address in Manhattan, or do you park it in a garage somewhere else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 08:12 PM

721 posts, read 1,209,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayLove View Post
You can try State Farm. My car is insured in Manhattan and the rate was reasonable for full coverage. I also have house insurance for my house in Brooklyn so I have a multi policy discount. She did inform me that if I did use my Brooklyn address my car insurance would go up, so I kept my car insured in Manhattan.
ShayLove, How come it's more expensive to insure your car in Brooklyn than in Manhattan? My impression is that Manhattan is a more expensive area than Brooklyn.

Do you park your car in a garage in Manhattan, or can you find off-street parking in Manhattan?

Old 11-01-2010, 09:55 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,388,802 times
The insurer needs to know where the car is garaged, regardless of where you live. I have cars registered in different states, and the NY-based cars are not assessed at the other rate, but rates calculated by the car's physical location. People commit insurance fraud in the city, which is one reason why rates are high, registering a car out of the city/state to get a lower rate. The insurer knows where you live as that's where they send the bill, to Manhattan, not to the garage, but they do have the right to know where the car is parked and under what conditions to properly calculate risk.

Compare rates at garages, and if the insurer will offer a substantial discount for Manhattan -- find a garage in Inwood or on the Far West Side that's less expensive than prime Manhattan garages. If the car were to be stolen from the garage, the report would show the address, and it could easily be proven that the car was garaged there by payment receipts, so that could cause a problem with respect to coverage of the vehicle. Potentially, the insurer could deny the claim based upon the fact that risk was not properly assessed by the vehicle's parked location.

Simply put, if you want a Manhattan insurance rate, get a Manhattan parking spot. Compare the cost, though, because the insurance premium savings may be substantially eroded by the Bronx garage savings. It's a balance, but when it comes to something like this, transparency is the best policy with respect to dealing with an insurance company. You may also get a discount for a theft recovery system, such as Lo-Jack, if you do not have one installed that may result in a lowered premium.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-01-2011, 05:35 PM

979 posts, read 4,455,823 times
Moderator cut: deleted quote
Insurance rates are determined by zip code. Even if you don't drive the car at all it will be the same rate plus your drunken driving convictions.

Last edited by Keeper; 01-02-2011 at 05:33 AM..

Old 01-01-2011, 05:58 PM

769 posts, read 2,050,581 times
I have GEICO and don't think my premium is high even though we have very low deductibles. But we only drive the car 2-3 times a month and it's parked in a garage in FiDi.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:56 AM

98 posts, read 235,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveAlbuquerque View Post
I moved from a village in Westchester County to Manhattan recently, and parked my car in a garage in Bronx (instead of parking it in Manhattan where I live).

I called my auto insurance company (GEICO) to update my address changes. Unexpectedly, they increased my premium by about $800 per year.

I didn't expect the increase in premium (due to my report of my address change), because my car is parked in a garage and I don't use it much any more. So I want to check out the rates from other car insurance companies. I called Progressive. The rep at Progressive said they would not insure a car that is not parked at my residence address (i.e., my Manhattan address).

Are there auto insurance companies that would insure my car and also provide reasonable rate (when my car is parked at Bronx but I live in Manhattan)? Any recommendations and advice would be greatly appreciated!
Absolutely. Contact an independent insurance broker who will have access to multiple carriers in New York State available to him. With over 100 carriers available, I'm sure they can do better than a quote from one company.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:02 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,139,412 times
You will not get reasonable car insurance based on the address. It's based on proximity to big cities. Your best bet would have been to keep your westchester address and just have them forward the mail to you for a year and get the lower price for that time. Otherwise use a PO Box away from the city and claim that as your address. I too have Geico and noticed the difference when I moved upstate for a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: