Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 01:12 PM

198 posts, read 530,356 times

Advertisements

I see you have 2 threads about the same topic. You should merge or delete one thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 09:29 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,751 times
I would move to Ft. Lee make some more professional contacts and then move to the city when I landed a job in the city. It's much easier to get a job in NYC if you are nearby.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:09 PM

15 posts, read 101,300 times
Hi UpsonDowns,

You are right, that is ultimately my goal. The position I am accepting is a step-up and I'm hoping eventually to move up there or seek other opportunities in the NYC area once I have more experience and background...Thanks everyone for your responses!!

Old 11-04-2010, 10:16 PM

329 posts, read 1,047,530 times
ok, two things.

1) the general consensus here is dead-on: live in nj, preferably somewhere with easy access to the city, and move into the city when you get a job there. go into the city for fun after work.

2) but i think that your plan can definitely work. If you are working at 461 from road, that means you're in that huge Mack-Cali building off of Route 17 North. At the Port Authority Bus Terminal located on 42nd & 8th, there is a bus that goes to NJ (on the 3rd floor - leaves from gate number 305 or 306 or 307, you'll have to check) and one of the stops can drop you off literally right in front of your office. In my experience the trip has rarely taken longer than 35 minutes. i take this bus everyday for work. you're free to pm for more details about this.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:58 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,173,069 times
New York is a rip-off!!!!!!!! When I was New York back in the late 70's, they were giving away places at dirt cheap prices in less desireable neighborhood like Soho or Noho at that time. Many pockets of Manhattan had very low prices along as you're not on 5th Ave and other upscale areas.

Now forgettabouti! the cheapest in the bad part of Manhattan is about $1600 The average is very, very high now with almost no wiggle room. Sorry. Get ready to live in a tiny apartment with almost no perk. Prepare to downsize your life in a big way if you move to New York. Even Brooklyn is not cheap. Even Vogue magazine people live in a poorhouse in New York. It aint Oklahoma or back in the down to earth 70's. You're out of luck interms of comfort.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:53 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,040,764 times
I'd look into Hoboken or Jersey City...lots of young people in these towns. Not too far from Paramus but easy access into NYC.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:29 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,752,651 times
Why pay so much to live in manhattan only to spend most of your time commuting instead of enjoying the city? It's a little silly, okay no, it's totally stupid.

Move to NJ, Hoboken in fact would be PERFECT. You mentioned not knowing anyone in NYC, here's the thing about NYC it's VERY anonymous you can live next door to people for YEARS AND YEARS and never know their names (unless the mailman accidentally give you their mail) You're not going to work in Manhattan so you're not going to have a community of people who live in the area to meet. Hoboken is a young professionals paradise great bar scene with drinks that are much cheaper than NYC and no cover, lots of restaurants and boutiques, beautiful architecture that is well maintained VERY easy access into Manhattan and you will be able to get to Paramus in 30 min or less depending on the time you leave the house and the short cuts you find. Hoboken is a small walkable town full of people your age and it's not as anonymous as NYC people will actually talk to you. A lot of people in Hoboken are your age and work in Manhattan so if you find a network of people they can help you find that coveted job in NYC. You will get a much better view of the city from the Jersey side than you will from the NY side. The down side to Hoboken is that you do need to find a parking garage since street parking is a PITA, not as bad as manhattan but not worth the hassle either a parking spot will probably run you ~$200 a month so take that into account when setting rent limits for yourself.

Seriously consider it, at the very least take a look at an apartment or two on this side of the water (and then go check out the bar scene) you'll get a larger and nicer apartment that you would in NYC, will be close enough to visit NY whenever you want and not spend half your life commuting!

Old 11-12-2010, 03:27 PM

357 posts, read 727,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icibiu View Post
Why pay so much to live in manhattan only to spend most of your time commuting instead of enjoying the city? It's a little silly, okay no, it's totally stupid.

Move to NJ, Hoboken in fact would be PERFECT. You mentioned not knowing anyone in NYC, here's the thing about NYC it's VERY anonymous you can live next door to people for YEARS AND YEARS and never know their names (unless the mailman accidentally give you their mail) You're not going to work in Manhattan so you're not going to have a community of people who live in the area to meet. Hoboken is a young professionals paradise great bar scene with drinks that are much cheaper than NYC and no cover, lots of restaurants and boutiques, beautiful architecture that is well maintained VERY easy access into Manhattan and you will be able to get to Paramus in 30 min or less depending on the time you leave the house and the short cuts you find. Hoboken is a small walkable town full of people your age and it's not as anonymous as NYC people will actually talk to you. A lot of people in Hoboken are your age and work in Manhattan so if you find a network of people they can help you find that coveted job in NYC. You will get a much better view of the city from the Jersey side than you will from the NY side. The down side to Hoboken is that you do need to find a parking garage since street parking is a PITA, not as bad as manhattan but not worth the hassle either a parking spot will probably run you ~$200 a month so take that into account when setting rent limits for yourself.

Seriously consider it, at the very least take a look at an apartment or two on this side of the water (and then go check out the bar scene) you'll get a larger and nicer apartment that you would in NYC, will be close enough to visit NY whenever you want and not spend half your life commuting!

Oh yes! You forgot to mention showing up at funerals. You get the little leaflets they hand out and it's just "oh!"

Old 11-13-2010, 02:20 AM

301 posts, read 640,161 times
Brooklyn or Queens, find roommates and split rent; you can make a good living with 65K annual salary

Old 11-13-2010, 04:58 PM

956 posts, read 1,207,659 times
If I had a job in Paramus I would live in NJ; Hoboken is probably the best spot like many people mention here. If you want to go into NYC it's only across the river no need to live in NYC and waste money and time commuting especially when you don't have to.

Nothing wrong in living in NJ. It might not have the show off feel as NYC, but Hoboken is really a thriving place for young people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: