Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 06:43 PM

5 posts, read 6,041 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I will be moving to NY from Baltimore in January to attend a graduate program in NYC at Fordham University's Lincoln Center campus. I'm trying to figure out where my best options would be in terms of cost and neighborhood. My parents moved to Nassau County a few years ago, so initially I will be staying with them but I do NOT want an hour long commute everyday so that will not work long term.

My number one priority is safety. Other than that, I may be dreaming but my ideal neighborhood would be something like this- health food stores, yoga studio, bike lanes, bookstores/ coffeehouses. I'm an artist so an arts vibe would be nice. I'm a fan of underground music- preferably live, independent films, plays and things of that nature. I prefer organic food and fresh veggies so a Farmer's Market is always a plus. I'm a pescatarian (fish is the only meat I eat) so if there were sushi bars, etc and vegetarian or vegan restaurants or places that at least have decent vegetarian options that would be a definite plus. I tend to frequent book readings, lectures, etc. and my politics are definitely to the left... I would not be ok with uber conservative neighbors. At all. In terms of demographics..... xenophobia scares me. I do not want a neighborhood that is all one race. I'm fine with being a 'gentrifier' as my neighborhood here in Baltimore is a mix of yuppies, buppies, hipsters, and both poor whites and blacks that have been here for generations, I suppose.

I will most certainly need a roommate wherever I move, as I can only afford about 1,000 a month for rent. I'm totally fine with that, as it would be cool to learn the city either with or from someone. I'm looking for a commute that is no more than 20-25 minutes away but maybe 30 would be okay too. In a perfect world, in inclement weather I could just get a cab from the Lincoln Center home without breaking the bank. Any ideas on neighborhoods would totally help me out. I really only want to be with my parents for 1-3 months, 3 months being on the much to long end of the stick.

Thanks in Advance,
Ellie

Last edited by EllieY; 11-12-2010 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 06:49 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
Quote:
Fordham University's Lincoln Center campus
great location, pricey

Old 11-12-2010, 07:17 PM

756 posts, read 2,279,475 times
Hmm... you're asking for a lot. In Manhattan, East Village might work for you, although ideally, West Village would be better because of your proximity to the A/C/E trains. Both neighborhoods fit the "artsy" bill—but are very expensive. East Village would be doable, but only east of 2nd Avenue, I'd imagine.

I don't know much about it, but I'm sure someone will come on here and recommend Astoria.

Your budget/wants are not really conducive to $1,000/mo. or a 25 minute commute, sorry to say.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:57 PM

Thanks for your responses so far. I know that my budget is low, which is why I said that I'd most certainly need a roommate. I will be a full-time graduate student so I don't feel comfortable going over 1,000 a month. Would that be too low even with a roommate or two? That would increase the overall budget to 2 or 3 thousand a month.

I know that I am asking for a lot. I can of course make compromises. I guess, I'm hoping that someone can let me know what compromises to make. I don't have to find everything that I like in one neighborhood, I thought that providing that insight into my interests could help give an idea of what kind of neighborhoods might work for me. Ideally if I could be close (within 20-25 min commute) from the Lincoln Center in a safe neighborhood that trumps everything else. If I MUST be far away (more than 30 min commute) then I'd like an awesome area that had a bit more of my interests readily available. What I want to avoid is a situation where I live far from my school in an area that is far from my interests that leaves me having to commute a great distance to both personal and professional life. (Like the situation I'll be in w/ my parents in Garden City.) I know that NYC area is expensive, but I do find it slightly hard to believe that I can't find anything that meets any of that criteria when I'm willing to pay 1,000 myself and have roommates who would be paying comparable amounts. Is that really true? How much do you guys on here pay? How do other college students survive?

Ellie

Last edited by EllieY; 11-12-2010 at 08:06 PM..

Old 11-12-2010, 08:03 PM

Yeah, sadly, it really is. The further out you go, the harder it's going to be to find neighborhoods that match your interests. Like I said, you might be able to find a small 2-bedroom for $2k in the far East Village or LES... but you're going to be pretty far from trains, crappy building, etc... Something's gotta give. I think you'll most likely need to sacrifice your commute time, like you said. That way you could maybe find something somewhere like Bushwick in Brooklyn, which is gentrifying, has a few hip thing, easy to get to Williamsburg, most of Manhattan, etc.

Just for reference: I pay more than double your budget for a relatively average-sized one bedroom in the prime West Village.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:13 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Several neighborhoods in Brooklyn would fit the bill in terms of your interests but not the commute time.

You might try parts of the Upper West Side. I have some friends who live up near the 103rd St. stop (near Central Park West) and I think it's cheaper there than in other parts of UWS.

There are lots of community gardens in that area and there is a brand new Whole Foods for your organic needs on W 98th and Columbus.

I am not familiar with exact rent figures for 2 or 3 bedroom places in that area but you might get lucky in a roommate situation with someone who has had their place for awhile and therefore has a cheaper rent than today's rents.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:18 PM

Thanks Loratliff for your insight, I do realize that you are trying to help and I appreciate your time. I went online and did some research on my own. I have found one neighborhood that is supposedly gentrifying, Washington Heights, that is by bus according to google maps 30 mins away from LC and the average 2 bedroom rent is 1600. Apparently the same is true for Astoria. Which means with a roommate I'd have enough to live in those areas. As long as either my neighborhood is great or my commute is decent, I'm fine with that. Any suggestions in that vein?

Henna, Thank you so much for your insight and your time! I'll look into the areas you suggest!

Old 11-12-2010, 08:21 PM

Yes, like I said, Astoria does fit your needs pretty well. It's kind of boring, IMO, but I know plenty of people who live there and love it. I didn't mention Washington Heights, as you mentioned safety was a big deal to you. I don't consider it all that safe or gentrifying, but that's just me.

You should read this story that was in the NYT today: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/14/realestate/14cov.html

Old 11-12-2010, 08:25 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieY View Post
Thanks Loratliff for your insight, I do realize that you are trying to help and I appreciate your time. I went online and did some research on my own. I have found one neighborhood that is supposedly gentrifying, Washington Heights, that is by bus according to google maps 30 mins away from LC and the average 2 bedroom rent is 1600. Apparently the same is true for Astoria. Which means with a roommate I'd have enough to live in those areas. As long as either my neighborhood is great or my commute is decent, I'm fine with that. Any suggestions in that vein?

Henna, Thank you so much for your insight and your time! I'll look into the areas you suggest!
Try Fort Greene in Brooklyn too. It will be a bit longer commute than you want, but only one train (no transfer) and it's a great area.

Definitely check out Astoria too. There are parts of it that fit some of the stuff you describe, but sounds like you might feel happier in Brooklyn.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Try Fort Greene in Brooklyn too. It will be a bit longer commute than you want, but only one train (no transfer) and it's a great area.
Yeah, I agree with the Ft. Greene rec too... Just wasn't sure about the $$$ there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City