Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2009, 01:52 PM

4 posts, read 14,919 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
After extending a post-grad stay at my parent's NJ home for six months longer than planned, I am finally taking the plunge and moving full-time into the city. As I write for pop culture publications, I am often "on" the Manhattan media circuit, but commuting always made it difficult to do last minute/late night assignments, and...well, the time has come to finally do this. Luckily, I am sharing a great 3 BR place in WV for just over $1k a month.
I am coming to the city with $5-$7k in savings and am seeking a "day job" that will earn me something in the $1500-$2000 range per month. I am open to doing anything administrative, especially within a media/creative company, but would also work in a medical office etc.

Question: I do have 4+ years of admin experience, but should I also include my writing/editorial experience on my resumes or will this be distracting, instead of an asset? Oh, and I interned with a prominent fashion designer for a year, which entailed duties ranging from PR to administrative to research assistance (it was, basically, a "his girl friday" position).

I feel that with my varied background in editorial/media, administration, and PR, it shouldn't be terribly hard to land a decent day job in the admin/support sector, but I've sent out about a dozen resumes thus far (in 48 hours) and haven't heard back. NOTE: I DO REALIZE THIS IS NOTHING, THAT IT'S BEEN LITERALLY TWO DAYS, AND THAT THIS IS A RECESSION, ETC. I do understand this, but I'm afraid (already) that it's a bad omen.
But before I panic, I need to know this is just part of the numbers game right now and that it's not an indication that my resume is flawed. As it stands, I have my experience divided as follows: editorial section, then pr & administrative experience section. My cover letters, I've been told, are strong. So, I don't THINK my approach is off, but I secretly worry about it.

Anyway...how long should it take to find a temp/admin job right now in NYC? I would love to hear your recent experiences about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 04:04 PM

1,278 posts, read 4,099,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenomaniac View Post
Hi everyone,
After extending a post-grad stay at my parent's NJ home for six months longer than planned, I am finally taking the plunge and moving full-time into the city. As I write for pop culture publications, I am often "on" the Manhattan media circuit, but commuting always made it difficult to do last minute/late night assignments, and...well, the time has come to finally do this. Luckily, I am sharing a great 3 BR place in WV for just over $1k a month.
I am coming to the city with $5-$7k in savings and am seeking a "day job" that will earn me something in the $1500-$2000 range per month. I am open to doing anything administrative, especially within a media/creative company, but would also work in a medical office etc.

Question: I do have 4+ years of admin experience, but should I also include my writing/editorial experience on my resumes or will this be distracting, instead of an asset? Oh, and I interned with a prominent fashion designer for a year, which entailed duties ranging from PR to administrative to research assistance (it was, basically, a "his girl friday" position).

I feel that with my varied background in editorial/media, administration, and PR, it shouldn't be terribly hard to land a decent day job in the admin/support sector, but I've sent out about a dozen resumes thus far (in 48 hours) and haven't heard back. NOTE: I DO REALIZE THIS IS NOTHING, THAT IT'S BEEN LITERALLY TWO DAYS, AND THAT THIS IS A RECESSION, ETC. I do understand this, but I'm afraid (already) that it's a bad omen.
But before I panic, I need to know this is just part of the numbers game right now and that it's not an indication that my resume is flawed. As it stands, I have my experience divided as follows: editorial section, then pr & administrative experience section. My cover letters, I've been told, are strong. So, I don't THINK my approach is off, but I secretly worry about it.

Anyway...how long should it take to find a temp/admin job right now in NYC? I would love to hear your recent experiences about this.

I don’t have any experience in your particular field but people who analyze the job market are saying, in general, plan on giving yourself 9 months to find a job if you have experience and a year plus if you don’t

Old 03-05-2009, 07:33 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,610,917 times
In the "Work" forum, there was a discussion about resumes. Generally, the best practice is to keep it to one page, with the most relevant information highlighted. (Back in the days when I was playing the Job Hunting Game, I used to have two different versions of my resume, and I'd hand in the one that was more relevant in the particular situation).

Good luck on that job search. Yours truly, an employee of MTA, is happy beyond belief not to have to be going through that any more!

Old 03-05-2009, 11:42 PM

4 posts, read 14,919 times
Thanks everyone! Good news: I already have something lined up! I can't believe it.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:02 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,312,494 times
Quote:

I feel that with my varied background in editorial/media, administration, and PR, it shouldn't be terribly hard to land a decent day job in the admin/support sector

If all you want is a secretarial job, do not mention your writing, editing, research assistance, and PR experience because when going through resumes for secretaries/administrative assistants employers may look at yours as "here's someone who will be gone if she gets a job she really wants." Tailor your resume to the type of position you want.

If you are interested in jobs whose functions are writing, editing, research assistance, and PR, make a separate resume to apply for those types of jobs.

As for how long it should take -- it is anyone's guess these days. Tough times out there. Good luck!

Old 03-06-2009, 02:04 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,312,494 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone! Good news: I already have something lined up! I can't believe it.
Lined up as in a job or as in an interview?

GOOD LUCK!

Old 03-08-2009, 06:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,840 times
Where did you find your position? I'm an English professor in Michigan looking for a job in NYC to hold me over and pay the bills and have had the toughest time. Any advice would be helpful.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:15 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,873,576 times
If your job falls through, consider tutoring or being a nanny. They make very good money in this city.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:29 AM

706 posts, read 3,764,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishProfessor82 View Post
Where did you find your position? I'm an English professor in Michigan looking for a job in NYC to hold me over and pay the bills and have had the toughest time. Any advice would be helpful.
Check the CUNY (City University of New York) website.

and various other colleges. (Although private colleges pay less than CUNY unless you're a reknown scholar.)

If you have your Ph.D, you may find something.

If not, perhaps you may find an adjunct position if that will help...or adjunct positionS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City