Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 10:56 AM

596 posts, read 895,878 times

Advertisements

I suppose many people who live in the city, do so because they dislike living in a suburb. That's okay, and I'm not trying to influence anyone's opinions or values about anything.

For the first 12 years in this country (I came from Japan in 1992; I was 25 then), I lived in suburbs in Connecticut, and I enjoyed it and I don't recall wishing to myself, "Gee, I wish I could live in a big city..." (I didn't know any better then, first of all).

What I loved most was the big open space (I had never even seen big open space when I lived in Japan). Where I came from, Tokyo area is perhaps even more congested than NYC, so it was refreshing to live in a big house with a big backyard.

I also loved driving with no or little traffic (in Tokyo, driving is not fun). I do remember being amazed at the fact that my house key and my car key were chained together, which meant I never went anywhere on foot
(I couldn't; there was nothing in the walking distance from my house).

People in the city (on this forum) often talk about how great it is to be able to walk to places. After experiencing it for the last 2 years (I live in JC), I can say that it is nice to be able to walk to places. But I didn't hate driving to places, either.

I still do a lot of driving in order to commute to my job in a suburb every day and play music in the city several times a week (I'm an amateur musician), so I go back and forth between urban and suburban on a daily basis.

While I love living in an urban community, I have to say that there are a few things that are definitely easier if you live in a suburb.

Getting grocery is one of them. There are a couple of grocery stores within 3 blocks from my apartment, but I rarely go there because the stores are always crowded and I hate to carry so much grocery bags (and the prices seem higher).

So instead, I do almost all my grocery shopping in the suburb near the office, either before work or during lunch hour. It's so easy and hassle free. I mean, there is a HUGE parking space where you can park easily, and no one is bumping into you when you push a shopping cart (When I was dating a girl in UES, we went to the stores in her neighborhood, and I found it very difficult and stressful).

Of course, my perception is influenced by my background and my past experiences. So, I'm sure there are people who disagree with me on this, and that's okay.

But here is my question: If you don't like doing grocery shopping at a supermarket in a suburb, is there anything you like about doing it in a store in the city?

While I'm intrigued by the idea of living in the city without a car (my girlfriend and I are considering it for various reasons), my past and current experiences tell me that the quality of my life may decline if I have to do my grocery shopping in stores in the city on foot.

Sure, there are a lot of positive things about living in the city, I know. But getting grocery is something you have to do, right? I would hate it if it becomes something I hate doing. Some people may suggest to have grocery delivered. But I kind of feel funny to not be able to pick the food that I find fresh by my own eyes.

Atsushi

Last edited by Atsushi; 11-18-2010 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: Title doesn't seem to match the context
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 11:37 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,776 times
I grew up in suburbs and began living in cities when I was in college (first in Philadelphia, 2005, now in NYC). I'm single so grocery shopping isn't much of a hassle for me. I don't buy a lot of food and it fits nicely in my cart. It's not a problem. Plus I like being able to walk, it's great exercise. Grocery shopping is only a problem if you make it a problem.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:39 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
Why not just go to the grocery store and shop and have the groceries delivered? That's what I do. Not everything is either carry the bags or fresh direct.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:40 AM

Maybe most people in the city buy grocery in small batches and more frequently....?

Old 11-18-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atsushi View Post
Maybe most people in the city buy grocery in small batches and more frequently....?
No I usually buy like $500 like once a month and then have it delivered.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Why not just go to the grocery store and shop and have the groceries delivered? That's what I do. Not everything is either carry the bags or fresh direct.
I didn't know that such option existed! Obviously, you've found the cost acceptable. Just out of curiosity, how much extra does it charge to have it delivered?

Thanks.

Atsushi

Old 11-18-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atsushi View Post
I didn't know that such option existed! Obviously, you've found the cost acceptable. Just out of curiosity, how much extra does it charge to have it delivered?

Thanks.

Atsushi
I know places like Grisitdes it's free for over $50.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I know places like Grisitdes it's free for over $50.
Wow! That's good to know. Thanks!

Atsushi

Old 11-18-2010, 11:56 AM

The ask you at the check out. I am always surprised at the number of people who don't know this.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:19 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,776 times
Whole Foods delivers as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City