Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 07:44 PM

67 posts, read 158,572 times

Advertisements

What is the best time to vist NYC? right now May, August and December in 2011 are months im most open too because of my college school break. Out of those 3, when is a good time to vist the city? It is my first time vististing there for vacation. Does it snow there in May? I would like to see a yankee game there and i know may and august are the only times for that but it isnt major to see yankee game. Can be missed if December is best month. And does anyone recommended anything to do while im in the city? I am 28 years old
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 08:02 PM

177 posts, read 416,159 times
May or December would be good. Each are a nice time of year to be here (and of course autumn). It would not be snowing in May, it'd be spring and all the greenery of the city would be in bloom.
August can be so,so hot and with the city humidity, it can be draining.
You'll have so much to choose from for what to do!
One thing tho' is if you choose May especially, best to set up reservations as soon as possible.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:06 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
i would cross off august. its way too hour. Now is good and also december because everything is decorated. May is also great since the weather warms up

Old 11-28-2010, 08:17 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,132,725 times
There's nothing like the holidays in Manhattan. Midtown is all done up and store windows have lines to see their displays. 5th Ave. around Rockefeller Center is busier than Times Square, with people shopping, window shopping, ice skating, etc. There are many special shows and performances in addition to the usuals. There are tons of holiday parties in bars and restaurants -- some of which, in my experience, will invite friendly people in, when they spill out onto sidewalks and you strike up a conversation. And there's a real sense of holiday spirit you just don't find most places. Skip the clubs and find your way to bars and restaurants. Mix, mingle and soak it all in. It's great.

Yes, it's very busy and there are tons of people who are not normally in the city on a Tuesday or Wednesday night. But that sorta adds to it for an outsider. Natives probably hate the added headaches. But to non-NYers, this is the city at its most magical.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:16 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
I would say between memorial day and the first day of summer. Or between thanks giving day through new years day.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:44 PM

67 posts, read 158,572 times
reservations for what particular things nyfreesia? I will be booking a flight soon. Also for reservations for places to eat, i am a fan of gordan ramsays and his show hells kitchen. He has a place in nyc called maze. Is that place hard to get in and anyone know if i have a chance to eat there in may or that out of question since it is probably popular. that's his restaurant site below. I may cross off august from feedback i got from it. Either may or december now.....still deciding. Hard to choose lol I also need to add that i will be staying 5-7 days there. Was thinking of hotels in times square but if anyone has any suggestions or feedback on where to stay then please give me advice. Thank you

Gordon Ramsay US Restaurants

Old 11-28-2010, 10:02 PM

177 posts, read 416,159 times
Oh sorry about that! Reservations for a hotel,especially the lesser expensive ones if that's a factor. I don't have experience with hotels in NYC tho'. A lot depends on what you can afford. Whatever that number is, then you can begin a search or getting feedback here, and plan your trip.
I have no data on this but have a feeling both May and December may be the most popular months of the year to visit NY, so getting a hotel set as soon as you can do that would be good.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:22 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,529,674 times
I'd say right about now is one of the best times. The city is buzzing around the Holidays and is probably one of the most fun places to be. Just walking down 5th Ave checking out the window displays is pretty amazing. I'm not an overly sentimental or romantic sort but it makes you feel like a kid again and I might describe the aura as "magical" if I'm in a certain mood. I got caught in a blizzard last year and had a blast wandering through the empty Manhattan streets like a lunatic. I'm still trying to figure out if I can make it this year. I'm a bit bummed because I may not be able to.

There are a lot of other cool times to visit. There's always something going on. About the only times I wouldn't recommend it are maybe after New Years through early March and late July-August. That's mainly because of the weather. It's the dead of winter and the dog days of summer. Even the people who live there try to get out during those times of year.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:22 AM

749 posts, read 2,454,248 times
To visit, definitely now. The crowds can be a bit much though, just be prepared for that and remember to never stand still because there are always people right behind you trying to get past you! It's really too much for me during the holidays, I do my best to avoid the city entirely (luckily I work from home in Queens).

Old 11-29-2010, 03:54 AM

69 posts, read 119,305 times
I like visiting NYC in September. The weather will be pleasant with little rain and no snow. The weather is still warm, the leaves are still green and you don't have major holidays other than Labor day which could lead to discounts on trips. Plus sports fans can get football and late-season baseball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City