Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2010, 11:14 AM

2 posts, read 2,169 times

Advertisements

My fiancee and I will be in NYC in April for our honeymoon. We are spending a week in the city. Our hotel is located in Midtown area, not too far from Rockefeller Center.

We will be attending the Rangers/Yankee game in the Bronx and the Astros/Mets game in Flushing. As a diehard Rangers fan - do I run the risk of any bad run ins with Yankee fans? I keep to myself, and am not a taunting guy, however, I will proudly support my team.

We will be doing your usual site seeing of Empire State building, Statue of Liberty crusie, Rockefeller Center, Lincoln Square, Radio City Music Hall, etc. What are some other fun attractions/things to do for a week? We are in our early 20's.

I am also visiting a school in the city for a possible graduate school (NYLS and NYU Law/Business school), so we are discussing move to the city. We will be looking at several neighborhoods comparing prices/areas. Are 2 bedrooms possible for $2,000 - $2,500 a month in the city? If so, what areas.

Being outside the city, you hear everyone complain about how bad the city is, how expensive, etc., etc., but being realistic, millions of people live in the city - so it is possible to survive and build a life in the city. Not all are millionaires, and not all are on the streets. We are wanting to finish school and start a life in the city for the next 10 years or so. Any suggestions, personal success stories, failure stories, tips, etc will be valued.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 01:07 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,312,880 times
Well, here are some things to consider:

1. You will need $80-100k income per year to afford that $2-2.5k rent. Will your fiancé make that much while you are in school?

2. How are you paying for law school? NYU-sized loans will eat up a big chunk of your post-graduate salary.

3. Yes, there are 2br's in that price range- but few or none in under-96th Street Manhattan, if that's what you consider "the city.". You're looking at Brooklyn, Queens, Jersey City/Hoboken on that budget.

4. Why do you need 2 br's? Almost no one has a "guest" bedroom in NYC like they do in TX. If you're willing to get a 1 br, you can open the search up to mor desirable parts of Manhattan.

5. About this "10 year plan"....Will you have kids during that 10 years? Because it's a lot harder to have babies when you are 1,500 miles from home- no "free" babysitters with grandparents so far away, nannies run $35-100k per year if you both intend to work, private school is $25-40k per child per year, public schools are for the most part not what you are used to in TX, as a NYC attorney making "big law" salary you won't ever see your kids or wife (working till 10pm or later daily & also on weekends), and if you decide to get a house you'll be commuting 2-3 hours daily to NY/NJ/CT. Just things to consider. I moved to NYC from TX and everything is much harder and more expensive in NYC.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:50 PM

2 posts, read 2,169 times
I will be attending law school part-time. I will be transferring up to NYC within my company if we decided to move, so we will both be working. We have considered Jersey City and Hoboken as well. It's hard to get a good look at the cities from just online, so need to explore them more in person. The honeymoon will allow us to see if we would want to live there first hand, or just visit, as this will be our first trip.

Thanks for the input.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:01 PM

69 posts, read 119,403 times
In addition to the advice above:
1. Do you have any specific interests? Like art or museums? For example, if you like cars and trucks, the New York auto show will be open in April at the Javits Center.

Yankees versus Rangers: April 15 to April 17
Mets versus Astros: April 19 to April 21
New York Auto Show: April 22 to May 1

2. If you're going to a Mets game at Citi Field, I recommend taking the subway; don't drive as parking is almost $20. Also, I recommend eating at Mama's of Corona since one sandwich can feed two people and are a better deal than waiting in line for Shake Shack. If you do get taunted, ask for the security guys who wear red shirts. Avoid Shake Shack and the lobster roll. Trust me.
3. Get a Metrocard and take the subway. Read the subway map before you get to the city and be familiar with local and express trains. Living in your hotel near Rockefeller Center, the nearest station will probably be 47-50th street on the B/D/F/M trains. And pay attention to posted signs and announcements from the MTA.
3. Have you tried getting certain neighborhoods in Brooklyn such as Bay Ridge or Dyker Heights?
4. Please do not wear sandals, fanny packs, Uggs, sweatshirts/sweatpants or anything involving a non-NYC sports team or college. Don't whip out a guidebook while walking. Don't walk slowly or hold people up on the sidewalk. Don't put your feet on the seats on the trains. If you see a person who is older or pregnant, give your seat to the person. I've seen rude people do these things.
5. Food to try out:
Prime Burger: Save Prime Burger, A Burger Shop With Real Character | A Hamburger Today
Lan Sheng: Lan Sheng Szechuan Restaurant - Midtown West - Manhattan, NY
Katz's Delicatessen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd9ilxMnnv8
Hill Country Chicken: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/10/di...nbriefs-2.html

Old 12-01-2010, 05:08 PM

756 posts, read 2,280,100 times
Why do you need a 2-bedroom? If you can afford between $2,000 and $2,500, you could easily get a nice 1-bedroom in a good neighborhood in Manhattan.

Like TurtleCreek80 and presumably, you, I'm also a Texan transplant. You quickly learn that you can live just as happily (if not moreso) with much less space than you do in Texas.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:11 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,616,724 times
And by the way, you'll be just fine at Yankee Stadium...provided you defer to the local sensibilities and don't jump up and down screaming for the Rangers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City