Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 10:35 PM

64 posts, read 161,705 times

Advertisements

So ive scanned the forums A LOT... and my question is...

alot of the neighborhoods one person says its sooo unsafe and another says they have lived there forever and love it

DO you think that areas like inwood, wash heights, bed stuy, prospect park, harlem... are just subject to your experience and whether something has actually happened to you there? I hear that they are all being "gentrified"... Even if you look at the crime rates in these areas... MOST people who live there must be ok...I would think the people who are involved in violent crimes are normally involved in something for this to happen... and burglaries muggings can happen anywhere... what do you think of young females moving to these areas and taking the risk? Its just hard to figure out since everyone has such a different opinion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 07:53 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Don't think about moving into any neighborhood until you have checked it out thoroughly(night and day) yourself ,with your own senses.Your own feelings(not others opinions) will be the only one that counts.

Whoever told you that all of the neighborhoods you listed above are "all being gentrified" is wrong.Some parts of some of those neighborhoods have experienced some degree of gentrification but that doesn't mean that they are "all being gentrified" or that gentrification will continue in any of them.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:20 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,776 times
You have to go and check it out for yourself. You might find that an area that people make out to be a war-infested hellhole is actually pretty safe...and hell, even boring and uneventful!
By the way I'm a young woman myself and have never had any problems, not even walking by myself at night (which I don't advise anyone do to).

Old 11-27-2010, 01:13 PM

64 posts, read 161,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
You have to go and check it out for yourself. You might find that an area that people make out to be a war-infested hellhole is actually pretty safe...and hell, even boring and uneventful!
By the way I'm a young woman myself and have never had any problems, not even walking by myself at night (which I don't advise anyone do to).
thanks for the responses... doobage where do you live??

Old 11-27-2010, 01:24 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shablee33 View Post
So ive scanned the forums A LOT... and my question is...

alot of the neighborhoods one person says its sooo unsafe and another says they have lived there forever and love it

DO you think that areas like inwood, wash heights, bed stuy, prospect park, harlem... are just subject to your experience and whether something has actually happened to you there? I hear that they are all being "gentrified"... Even if you look at the crime rates in these areas... MOST people who live there must be ok...I would think the people who are involved in violent crimes are normally involved in something for this to happen... and burglaries muggings can happen anywhere... what do you think of young females moving to these areas and taking the risk? Its just hard to figure out since everyone has such a different opinion!
You have to understand something too, if people know that they can never afford to leave the area in which they live, they have to say to themselves and everybody else "this is a good neighborhood". I mean who really wants to say outloud "I live in a S***hole". Plus alot of people will stay in an iffy area just to be able to afford a nice vehicle.
Also, many people will say a neighborhood is good/safe if they personally have not been a victim of a violent crime or if there is not a murder everyday.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:56 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,776 times
Quote:
thanks for the responses... doobage where do you live??
I'm in Hamilton Heights, near City College. Moved here just over a year ago after going to college in Philly and am originally from Princeton, NJ. Former sheltered suburbanite.
I suggest that you come around and look at the neighborhoods yourself, all over the five boroughs. Come and visit during the day and the nighttime.
You're not going to get an accurate opinion here; most people watch a lot of TV and have very strong opinions about places they don't live in. (Usually the same ones struggling and rationalizing living in a $2k apt the size of a closet so that they don't have to be near minorities.)

Last edited by Doobage; 11-27-2010 at 04:05 PM..

Old 11-28-2010, 01:12 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,770,208 times
Quote:

I agree. Just one example. Gowanus housing has a bad rep but young families are buying million dollar homes right across the streets from these projects and are happily interacting with the denizen in the parks and other public spaces. So how dangerous is the place really?

Old 11-28-2010, 06:54 AM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,751 times
I've observed that many people who don't live in "bad" neighborhoods often report on what they've heard or been told, not their actual experience. I agree, you have to check out places for yourself to decide your comfort level. And give more weight to the opinions of those who live in the area you are checking out. I live in Washington Heights and I will flat out tell you that I would never live east of Broadway and that crime has been on the rise even in the higher-income part of the neighborhood. But I would still recommend my part of the neighborhood to couples and families (not enough nightlife for singles).

Old 11-29-2010, 08:16 AM

160 posts, read 1,679,338 times
Quote:
You know what I hate? When young (I'll assume your white) woman think that the second they step into the hood that they are targets for rape, robbery, and all that other stuff. I'll have you know that that sterotype is incredibly annoying and dates back to segregation times.

anyway, look at the crime stats, look at the population, and make you own opinion.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:33 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Quote:
I hear that they are all being "gentrified"...
If, instead of scanning forums, you scan history books, you'll find that every neighborhood in New York City has undergone massive changes from day one. It's sort of like a great tide, sloshing back and forth over time.

Take Harlem, for instance. The first clue is right there in the name: it was named for the Dutch city of Haarlem. When it was founded, it was kind of like the country getaway for New Yorkers (which was possible because the entire city used to be located below Wall Street.) You couldn't call it a country getaway these days! So other people--the euphemism for "whites"--may be moving there now. Big deal. It's happened before.

As I'm sure you've already seen, you can't put a rock-solid definition to "bad neighborhood." That's very subjective; it all depends on how you feel about a given area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City