Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2010, 04:08 PM

9 posts, read 18,965 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm planning on moving from Atlanta to NYC next month, most likely into an apartment on the Upper East Side.

I have about one room worth of furniture (queen bed, desk, dresser, bookcase) plus clothes and other personal belongings that I am thinking of moving in rental truck from Atlanta to the city. Is it feasible to drive a small rental truck in Manhattan, park on the street and unload it, or is that just a bad idea? Would I just be ticketed and asked to move?

Am I better off just buying new furniture and having it delivered?

I'd appreciate any advice you may have. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 04:24 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,035,933 times
Ask the building super. You may only be able to move on certain days/times due to elevator availability.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:04 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,215,146 times
I just got here myself so I'm not an expert, but I have seen some trucks with people moving stuff. I guess it depends on the location.

I brought very little stuff with me but mainly because I'm not offically moving to NY, just staying here for a year or so.

How did you find your apartment? I'm searching right now.

Good luck on your move!

Old 10-16-2010, 08:25 PM

9 posts, read 18,965 times
I haven't found a place yet, I am looking with one other person for a 2 bedroom on the UES. Based on how your search has gone so far, do you think it's too ambitious to try to find something by Nov 1st?

I guess I do need to wait and decide exactly how to go about the move based on the exactly building and its location.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:35 PM

226 posts, read 483,656 times
try craigslist. but be warn the apt in newyork city are very expensive.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:38 PM

349 posts, read 781,746 times
I just made a similar move a year ago except I went to downtown Jersey City. If you are not familiar with the area its right across the Hudson with 24/7 subway service to Manhattan. So in that respect its similar to living in one of the outer boroughs. That said, what I did and what I have seen is that you just have to put on your hazard lights, stop in the street, and make it quick. If you can find a temporary place on the curb somewhere your golden. I'm not sure if they issue tickets if you are not on the curb in NYC. What can you do though? You have to unload your stuff somehow. Just make it quick. Worst case scenario you just pay the ticket. I wouldn't imagine it would be THAT much (by NYC standards). Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: