Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 11:10 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,392,886 times

Advertisements

For the benefit of the subsequent posts to this thread, here is the OP's quoted post. Please confine remarks in this thread to the following topic as the OP is sharing her experiences and explaining her feeling prior to traveling to New York. Comparisons to other cities/countries/states/etc. are not topics for this thread, especially if they are not in the NYC Metro Area. Your cooperation is appreciated. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratu View Post
Hey, I just wanted to write a little about my NYC experience. (I apologize -my English is not perfect, I'm a foreigner) So I visited New York City for three weeks and Oh My.. Was I nervous/scared to visit the city at first. I did a lot of homework and searched for " The most dangerous places in NYC" and what not I was seriously scared. I am 19 year old girl and I travelled all alone, also spent almost all those 3 weeks alone and I come from the smallest country ever and in my hometown I literally know everyone and we just have white people here no other races whatsoever. I was completely prepared for everything, but here it goes:
I personally felt that New York City is so safe, I did not feel danger at all, I remember when I arrived I panickly held my bag and everything on the train because I thought that people just want to steal and rob everybody. I know, ridiculous but I guess it's movies and some forums that give people a wrong view of NYC. I did spend time in Manhattan after midnight - No fear ....atmosphere was peaceful and nothing to be afraid of.
Before visiting NYC I had never ever rode the subway, I thought there are beggars everywhere and creepy people wanting to kill you- the reality is- It is the most comfortable and so Easy- there are signs everywhere and I just kind find it so genius, I absolutely loved the kind of oldish tiled walls and every stop was a little bit different and pretty.
I encourage other young people and tourists to travel there and don't just stay near Times Square(to be honest I couldn't stand Times Square) there's so much more to see than that place which is overloaded with tourists and annoying persons who try to sell you stuff or give you flyers.
NYC teaches you how to be independent, you'll get over your fears ..Like I did you'll love it!

I wrote this message for people that are like me, afraid and I feel like I wouldve needed that kind of message before my trip. So I hope someone will find it helpful!

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 05:42 PM

31 posts, read 124,664 times
I am sorry, I just wanted to share my feelings with the other travellers

Old 12-16-2010, 05:45 PM

939 posts, read 3,385,469 times
Quote:
No need to apologize. You've done nothing wrong.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,225 times
Quote:
Hey, I just wanted to write a little about my NYC experience. (I apologize -my English is not perfect, I'm a foreigner) So I visited New York City for three weeks and Oh My.. Was I nervous/scared to visit the city at first. I did a lot of homework and searched for " The most dangerous places in NYC" and what not I was seriously scared. I am 19 year old girl and I travelled all alone, also spent almost all those 3 weeks alone and I come from the smallest country ever and in my hometown I literally know everyone and we just have white people here no other races whatsoever. I was completely prepared for everything, but here it goes:
I personally felt that New York City is so safe, I did not feel danger at all, I remember when I arrived I panickly held my bag and everything on the train because I thought that people just want to steal and rob everybody. I know, ridiculous but I guess it's movies and some forums that give people a wrong view of NYC. I did spend time in Manhattan after midnight - No fear ....atmosphere was peaceful and nothing to be afraid of.
Before visiting NYC I had never ever rode the subway, I thought there are beggars everywhere and creepy people wanting to kill you- the reality is- It is the most comfortable and so Easy- there are signs everywhere and I just kind find it so genius, I absolutely loved the kind of oldish tiled walls and every stop was a little bit different and pretty.
I encourage other young people and tourists to travel there and don't just stay near Times Square(to be honest I couldn't stand Times Square) there's so much more to see than that place which is overloaded with tourists and annoying persons who try to sell you stuff or give you flyers.
NYC teaches you how to be independent, you'll get over your fears ..Like I did you'll love it!

I wrote this message for people that are like me, afraid and I feel like I wouldve needed that kind of message before my trip. So I hope someone will find it helpful!
When most people talk about nyc they mean manhattan. Manhattan is not that bad but trust me the city isn't really as nice as you think. Being from ny when i think nyc i' thinking all five borroughs. So anyway don't be telling these people that nyc is safe because your only really safe spot is manhattan give or take a few parts in the other four borroughs. Places i suggest all tourists and especially young people to STAY AWAY from are:
Bronx: Williams Bridge, University Heights, Hunts point, Morrissania
Brooklyn: Crown heights, Flatbush, Bedstuy, Brushwick, South Williamsburg, Cyrpess hills
Queens: Queensbridge, Ozone park, Corona, East Elmurst, Jamaica,
Staten Island- Mariners Harbor
Long Island(for tourists or young people looking to take a day trip. ps: don't go during the winter there is nothing great. Go if you wan't beaches for the sumer): Roosevelt, Freeport, Hempstead, Wyndanch, Brentwood, Central Islip, Coram.
My experience comes from being in the nypd for 22 years.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:33 AM

31 posts, read 124,664 times
I didn't only mean Manhattan. I also went to Brooklyn, Queens and Bronx and stayed in Staten Island. But NYC is huge so ofcourse there are a few bad places here

Old 02-02-2011, 11:22 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,248,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycop71 View Post
When most people talk about nyc they mean manhattan. Manhattan is not that bad but trust me the city isn't really as nice as you think. Being from ny when i think nyc i' thinking all five borroughs. So anyway don't be telling these people that nyc is safe because your only really safe spot is manhattan give or take a few parts in the other four borroughs. Places i suggest all tourists and especially young people to STAY AWAY from are:
Brooklyn: Crown heights, Flatbush, Bedstuy, Brushwick, South Williamsburg, Cyrpess hills
Long Island(for tourists or young people looking to take a day trip. ps: don't go during the winter there is nothing great. Go if you wan't beaches for the sumer): Roosevelt, Freeport, Hempstead, Wyndanch, Brentwood, Central Islip, Coram.
If I may add some areas to the STAY AWAY list:
Bronx: Mott Haven, East Tremont, West Farms, Soundview
Brooklyn: Brownsville/Ocean Hill, East New York, East Flatbush
Queens: South Jamaica, Far Rockaway

Almost forgot, Bronx: Melrose, Highbridge, Morris Heights

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 02-02-2011 at 11:39 PM..

Old 02-02-2011, 11:54 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,637,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebud17 View Post
Don’t know about that buddy I mean I think you might have to pull a survey on that one. We must not forget the man who was stabbed not less than seven or eight months ago and died while people all around him took photos of him and thought it was cute. No offence but I mean new York for a city with that many people it kind of scares me some times I have been there only twice and it was years ago never in my life do I care to go back. I think for tourism people seem to over look stuff like that but it is the reality of our society. I have a cousin who lives in Brooklyn who is dying to move back home and is fed up with a whole arm full of stuff about new York in from what he tells me every year the subways are not that easy to use I mean I have been to a lot of cities from there to Chicago to los angelas and ridden a lot of subway and transit cars even in san Francisco and to me they were a hell of a whole lot easier to use. Someone also told me who visited there a few years back the subways are not so safe at 2:00 am in the morning and so on a lot of people get mugged and no I am not talking about a scene I saw in some new York movie it is true.
Post like this make me wish there was de-reputation point or something on this site.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:55 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,637,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycop71 View Post
I agree those areas aren't the best but they aren't the absolute worst either. I mean, I wouldn't recommend anyone hangout there unless they know someone but there are far, far worst places.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:07 PM

3 posts, read 9,076 times
I've been seeing NYC for a while now and can tell you that it is important to study the subway lines and pay attention to the signs. On some platforms, one side is Local, and the other side is Express. On the "A" train, that's the difference between going to the American Museum of Natural History, or going all the way to 125th street. Of course, you can always go back downtown for free. If you have a smart phone or other web-enabled device, take time to check the MTA alerts for changed routes and construction - this will save you a lot of grief!
Also, learn to love the bus lines - sure, they take longer, but you get to see the city, and the Metrocard works on the bus. The M5 and M20 get you to Columbus Circle, and the cross-town lines are really useful if you need to get across Central Park to see the Metropolitan Museum of Art or the Guggenheim, etc. Just remember that personal safety is as important as the fun you have while you are there.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:50 PM

143 posts, read 298,780 times
Quote:
And that's fine. Glad to hear that you had such a positive experience!
Nice to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City