Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 05:47 PM

18 posts, read 26,285 times

Advertisements

I just left NYC a week ago from today. I was there from December 9th-12th. I went for my 22nd bday. I had a blast and I even went by myself. I stayed about 4 blocks from Times Square. I stayed out til 2am walking around by myself and never once felt scared.

Whoever said that New Yorkers are rude must be really sensitive people because no one was ever rude to me. A lot of people smiled and smiled and said hello.

I fell in love with the city. I didn't really spend that much time in Times Square because that had a lot of tourists.

So anyone who is scared to travel alone in NYC don't be I walked everywhere and took the subway and never had any problems or was worried.

I hope to call NYC my home by June!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 05:58 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,684,170 times
Thanks for your realization that New Yorkers, overall, aren't rude. We won't waste time with endless chitchat, but if you need help or directions, we're pretty good-natured about it.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:05 PM

Exactly! I never had to ask for directions because I understand how the streets work but people did ask me for directions and I was able to help them.

Ive always felt I have more of a east coast attitude than west coast. Ever since I got back from ny I can't stand California anymore.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:16 PM

15,640 posts, read 10,398,506 times
Nobody who lives in Manhattan goes to the Times Square area, ever. It is funny how people who come to Manhattan to see the city congregate in the only place in the city, Times Square, where all the people are tourists. LOL

Old 12-19-2010, 07:17 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,251,293 times
Not true. I live in Manhattan and occasionally go to Times Square to go to the movies as it is an easy and central place to meet friends from all over.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:30 PM

756 posts, read 2,279,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Nobody who lives in Manhattan goes to the Times Square area, ever. It is funny how people who come to Manhattan to see the city congregate in the only place in the city, Times Square, where all the people are tourists. LOL
I generally agree that most people who live in the city avoid the area like the plague, but some of us can't avoid it because we work a block or two away.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:16 PM

I figured it was a place for tourist so I went there when I saw Lion King and then the rockets. I walked from statue of liberty back up to Times Square so I could actually see the city.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:19 PM

483 posts, read 854,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Um... I live in Manhattan and go to Times Square occasionally and I know for a fact that I'm not the only NYer to do so. I hate when people say things like that, of course you're going to see a lot of tourists there because that's one of the biggest attractions in the city and people want to experience it!

Old 12-20-2010, 09:55 AM

138 posts, read 373,566 times
not trying to be mean, but you were in times square ofcourse it's safe there. that place is usually overflowing with cops and security cameras so no one is stupid enough to try something down there.

why don't you try going to certain places in the bronx or brooklyn and then we can discuss how "safe" nyc is lol.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:09 AM

756 posts, read 2,279,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neongumbo View Post
not trying to be mean, but you were in times square ofcourse it's safe there. that place is usually overflowing with cops and security cameras so no one is stupid enough to try something down there.

why don't you try going to certain places in the bronx or brooklyn and then we can discuss how "safe" nyc is lol.
What are you talking about? As far as petty crime, Times Square is probably one of the most dangerous places—think about all the naïve tourists just volunteering themselves to be pick pocketed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City