Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 07:21 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times

Advertisements

I Remember back in John Jay reading about state and later a federal case about Bernhard Goetz and what he did which had become a media frenzy in NYC. Today is the aniversary of the shooting on the number 2 train aka the beast. On december 22 1984 Berhard Goetz shot with his magnum 4 AA young men who wanted to Rob him with a screwdriver. Initially the youths wanted to break into a video game arcade somewhere in Manhattan. Goetz who has been a victim previously in 1981 wanted to defend and protect himself, being a victim of a serious crime was very common for NYers back in those days. Prominent black leaders in the city such as Percy Sutton, Al Sharpton, Charles Rangel wanted to assume race as a cause for the shooting, but others say it was for self defence. Also the gun was illegally obtained. Its a joke filling out a gun perment in nyc which Goetz was denied. This is before my time, I was just a baby then. But any way New Yorkers whats your take on this case and do you remember the events? Should Goetz got prison time for having an illegal gun?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 07:33 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,471,703 times
I remember it and Bernie Goetz was a hero to everyone in the city --- white, black, hispanic, etc. At the time, the city was crime-ridden and people were in fear of the thugs roaming the streets, subways, etc like the ones who attempted to rob Mr. Goetz. He didn't deserve a day in jail --- if I remember correctly, people were donating money for bail and also for a defense fund. He was found not guilty on all charges except for the gun charge and he only did 8 months for that.

The jerks and race baiters like Sharpton, Rangel, Sutton and the rest of the crew will naturally say it's about race. It couldn't possibly be about a group of thugs on their way to break into arcade machines to steal money and decide to rob a skinny nerdy-looking white guy on the subway. Of course it couldn't. To have Sharpton and his ilk tell it, they would say these are good boys who are in bed at 9pm every night, go to church every Sunday and help old ladies and kittens. You can believe, this case had nothing to do with race and everything to do with the good citizens of NYC being tired and fed up with thugs, dirtbags, and scum like the ones who attempted to rob Mr. Goetz.

Unfortunately, in later years, a couple of the thugs lawyered up and decided to sue. In those years (1990s), there was a completely different, politically correct climate and they got a judgement against him. Thankfully, none of them have collected a penny on it. IMHO, they don't deserve a penny and there should be no sympathy for the one idiot who ended up in a wheelchair. He is in that chair due to his own actions.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:47 PM

I remember a supporting case, which helped the verdict for people v Goetz, a black man shoots and kill two white men in an attempted robbery on a subway, I think the black guy was innocent and was never indicted.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:28 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,062,511 times
Goetz served 8 months in prison. But where are those 4 thugs now? 3 out of the 4 resumed their criminal pasts and served time and one is in a rehab center
in a wheelchair. Too bad he didn't kill any of them, since these thugs don't have the capacity to be fit in society.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:30 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,443,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
I remember it and Bernie Goetz was a hero to everyone in the city --- white, black, hispanic, etc. At the time, the city was crime-ridden and people were in fear of the thugs roaming the streets, subways, etc like the ones who attempted to rob Mr. Goetz. He didn't deserve a day in jail --- if I remember correctly, people were donating money for bail and also for a defense fund. He was found not guilty on all charges except for the gun charge and he only did 8 months for that.

The jerks and race baiters like Sharpton, Rangel, Sutton and the rest of the crew will naturally say it's about race. It couldn't possibly be about a group of thugs on their way to break into arcade machines to steal money and decide to rob a skinny nerdy-looking white guy on the subway. Of course it couldn't. To have Sharpton and his ilk tell it, they would say these are good boys who are in bed at 9pm every night, go to church every Sunday and help old ladies and kittens. You can believe, this case had nothing to do with race and everything to do with the good citizens of NYC being tired and fed up with thugs, dirtbags, and scum like the ones who attempted to rob Mr. Goetz.

Unfortunately, in later years, a couple of the thugs lawyered up and decided to sue. In those years (1990s), there was a completely different, politically correct climate and they got a judgement against him. Thankfully, none of them have collected a penny on it. IMHO, they don't deserve a penny and there should be no sympathy for the one idiot who ended up in a wheelchair. He is in that chair due to his own actions.

i have a word for people like Rev there but i will not use it ..as far as Mr Goetz i belive that he acted in self defense and the whole thing was a show trial for the public ..

at that time in in the public eye the problem was the city was out of control and it was the socalled law of the jungle with socalled criminal element that roamed the streets and subways at the time in those years ..

we where told when passing through the city at the time in the military to stay in groups of six or more so to be able to protect one another it was a septic tank of a place and the military did not allways put you up in the best places when you had to come into the city on business for the military..

Old 12-23-2010, 02:28 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
his problem was he bragged about what he did and how he shot them in the back fleeing. had he kept his mouth shut he may have beaten the whole jail thing.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:29 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
Goetz served 8 months in prison. But where are those 4 thugs now? 3 out of the 4 resumed their criminal pasts and served time and one is in a rehab center
in a wheelchair. Too bad he didn't kill any of them, since these thugs don't have the capacity to be fit in society.
if i remember there were no charges for the shooting of the bad guys, the 6 months were for weapons violations and no permit. yes jail time should be mandatory for having an illeagle gun.

why? because you want some control over who walks around with one. im all in favor of ccw permits but you still need to be put under that microscope.mental health and criminal records need to be checked first.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:34 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,471,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
his problem was he bragged about what he did and how he shot them in the back fleeing. had he kept his mouth shut he may have beaten the whole jail thing.

He didn't brag about it. If memory serves me correctly, he leaned over one of the dirtbags and said "you don't look so bad, here's another" and shot the POS again. I have absolutely NO problem with that. My only problem lies in the fact that he should have been a better shot on all 4 and finished the job. Unfortunately, because he wasn't, the tax paying citizens have to support this scum and their offspring ---- whether they're in prison, rehab or whatever and I'm sure the other 3 have a few illegitimate kids that we're supporting on welfare.

When it was all over, he hopped off the train and ran into the subway tunnel and eventually got home. There were sketches of him and a friend/neighbor thought it was him and asked him. He said it was and then got an attorney and turned himself in.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:55 AM

I Know for some he was a public hero, for others a rascist and a menace, to me I dont know if I see him as a hero or as an public vigilante, then again this is before my time. What I have to say is this. People dont realize that The NYPD is not the first line of defense for your safety and the police is never usually around to protect you, if something happens and the police shows up your good as dead and the victim becomnes part of a crime scene. THe individual himself or herself is the first line of safety and has every right to defend himself, but here in this state thats a joke. I do feel sorry for those that where involved, I also feel sorry for the cities AA community for some tehy assumed it was race related. Those four black youths should have never been up to no good and they got served, for Cabey he is vegetable and the other 3 did not learn they lesson and resorted to a life of crime like many. I also think the city and state should loosen its laws on gun control, to many New Yorkers both blacks and families of retirees of various ethnic groups with ties to the southern states where guns are more easier to obtain and illegal to have up here. IF the state loosen its gun laws maybe the average New YOrker wont have to go down south to buy gun and bring it back north.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 12-23-2010 at 06:39 AM..

Old 12-23-2010, 06:29 AM

18,473 posts, read 31,643,914 times
the saying was:

Every criminal deserves what he Goetz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: