Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2011, 09:48 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,976,337 times

Advertisements

Just curious, I know about it. I however never got around to ordering a kit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 10:05 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMassa View Post
Just curious, I know about it. I however never got around to ordering a kit.
Interesting stuff. I took advantage of the $99 offer they had.

Dominicans on that forum had:

91% Euro, 5% African, 4% Taino (V3)
66% Euro, 23% African, 11% Taino (V2)
63% Euro, 30% African, 7% Taino(V3)
59% Euro, 27% African, 14% Taino (V2)
57% Euro, 27% African, 15% Taino (V2)
46% Euro, 47% African, 7% Taino (V3)

But the V2 were off a bit as they underestimated African ancestry, and the V3 was slighty off, so realistic results would have been:

89% Euro, 7% African, 4% Taino
64% Euro, 33% African, 3% Taino
63% Euro, 32% African, 5% Taino
50% Euro, 42% African, 8% Taino
46% Euro, 50% African, 4% Taino
46% Euro, 47% African, 7% Taino

* Keep in mind that some of the African component is northern African ancestry (Egypt, Morocco etc)

Goes to show that we really are mixed race people, aswell as a diverse group.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:26 PM

Interesting, and it will be especially for new viewers. Although I am aware of plentiful results. Mario, do you post on any anthro-genetic related wites (besides the 23andme fora) ?

Old 02-03-2011, 05:55 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,354,372 times
I want to get my admixture results. What's the 23andMe kit? Where do you get it?

Old 02-03-2011, 06:17 AM

I believe you have to go to the website and place an order and the kit will be shipped to your dwelling, it contains swabs, ect. After you're done you will have to mail the items back to 23AndMe and then they will email you a link with your results. You will be registered with their website and will contain an array of other topics besides ancestry and clusters. Such as blood type, if you have diabetes, ect.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:29 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
SuperMario...while I can agree that this study is representative of those Hispanic groups in NYC, it doesn't necessarily represent those Hispanic groups overall because of migration patterns.

For example, we know that the Cubans in Miami are in general 'whiter' and more European than their counterparts who did not/could not leave Cuba. A genetic test would reveal (just an example)Cubans in Miami were 90% European, 5% African, and 5% indigenous, and this of course would be a small population in comparison to the 10 million people in Cuba. However, if you do the same test in Cuba, you are likely to find 50% European, 30% African, and 20% Indigenous across the population (again just an example). So clearly the Cubans who migrated to Miami were the exception, not the rule for Cubans, and the same may apply to other Hispanic groups in NYC.

The same applies for other Hispanic groups migrating to the US, and NYC specifically. Since we are a mixed race people, it could be mostly african PRs have moved to NYC, which would not be representative of PR, or mostly Euopean Dominicans moved to NYC, would also not be representative of the DR. So although I agree with the test, I do not necessarily believe we can then infer those are the percentages for each country. It is only representative of current NYC Hispanics specifically. This test would be more applicable to more homogenized populations, like Irish/Scottish etc, where the type of people migrating doesn't matter because they are not a mixed race people so those here or in Ireland are the same.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:40 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
That's the only site that I post in.

And Queens girl you order it online, and it's basically just spitting into a tube. You get a bunch of information from it.

SobroGuy, you're wrong. Dominicans from all over the island come here. I see more than a fair share of dark Dominicans here in the states, so I don't know what you're talking about. This is in no way compared to the white Cubans migration here. If anything, the nordic looking Dominicans are still in the campos of el cibao.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:33 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
SuperMario...you are missing the point. It doesn't matter whether Dominicans from all over the island are migrating to NYC, what matter is WHICH Dominicans are migrating. We know that in Hispanic countries, the darker you are, the poorer you are (in general). Dominicans from all over the country may be migrating to DR, but if they are all the poorest/aka darkest, then that segment will be overrepresented in NYC, and NOT representative necessarily of Dominicans on the island.

So if you have the poorest/darkest Dominicans moving to NYC, they will have a much higher % of African and indigenous, and less European, which would not be representative of the Dominicans on the island. Get it now?

Old 02-03-2011, 12:20 PM

938 posts, read 4,094,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Thanks for bringing up Colombians. It's very rare to see the Afro Colombians in the NYC area. Why is that? I think they account for 20% of that country's population. Why aren't they immigrating with the more mestizos population to the US?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I agree. I dont really see Afro colombians here in NYC, we just usually see Mestizo Colombians from slums of Bogota, Medellin, De Cali and others. Afro Colombians are situated primarily by the Carribbean coastline in a city called Cartegena, its Spanish for Carthage. Many blacks from Cartegena were imported from places such as Jamaica and Cuba.

In terms of blacks in the New World this is how it goes
1 Brazil
2 U.S.A
3 Colombia
4 Haiti
5 Dominican Republic
6 Cuba
7 Honduras
8 Jamaica

THe others I dont know
Yes, Colombia has a fairly large black/mulatto population that you almost never hear about. I visited this summer, and while blacks are visible in Bogotá, they absolutely dominate both Colombia's Pacific and Atlantic/Caribbean coastal regions. Cartagena is as big of a mulatto city I've seen, and places like Chocó are in upwards of 90% black. Here is a video containing typical-looking blacks native to Chocó and the Pacific region. And on that same note, here are some of my photos from Cartagena: prettyugly.: Cartagena . BTW, surely Venezuela has more blacks than Honduras, no? It is said that there are 5,000,000 (officially) blacks, and up to 7,000,000 in Venezuela.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
There are small Croatian, Polish and Russian-speaking communities in Brazil, Chile
Lots of Poles and Ukrainians in southern Brasil and northern Argentina, too. And lots of Basques in Argentina and Chile. Tons of Germans in all three countries; In Buenos Aires, German and Italian surnames are more common than Spanish ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Something interesting for you guys to note. Blacks from Cuba, Colombia, Peru, Brazil, and Haiti are different from the blacks in the Dominican Republic. The blacks in the Dominican Republic look mixed. They do not look straight out of sub-saharan Africa. This is because back during the colony days, white slave masters and black slaves in the DR had a "good" relationship. The DR was mostly cattle farming, which required cooperation from both slave and master. If you contrast this to Haiti, which was plantations, the master had absolute power over slaves. Also, Spain encouraged spanish men to mix with African women because they were losing power in Hispanola to the French, and wanted to regain some of it back. In the end result, the Dominican people, black and white (and Taino) were mixing while blacks in Cuba, Haiti, Colombia, Brazil etc ran away from their masters into their enclaves and mix with themselves, giving them a relatively unmixed look.
Brasil, Colombia, and Cuba all have no shortages of mulattos/people of mixed African descent. In fact, there are easily more mixed Blacks than (relatively, of course) unmixed blacks in those countries. Haiti and the Anglo-Caribbean black countries have larger populations and percentages of unmixed blacks.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:42 PM

615 posts, read 1,676,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetBAller85 View Post
puerto ricans

^^Ditto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City