Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 10:15 PM

6 posts, read 23,410 times

Advertisements

I am moving to NYC in a couple of weeks. I decided to pick up and leave. Quit my job, cut my lease short and have about $2k saved up w/no additional debt. I work in fashion and am wondering how difficult it is to break in to NYC fashion industry? I know it is a whole different ball game up there. I have already had an interview yesterday, and I have 4 scheduled within 2 weeks of arriving in the city (one if with a staffing company). I am staying with friends for a month before I move in my own apartment with a roomate in Manhattan. Do you all have any advice? What are the best types of events to network at? I am kinda freakin out even though this has been my dream and Im excited to finally be going for it. Im a single girl in my mid- 20's, so I figured its the perfect time for me! I know the economy, job situations, apartments, etc change, so I thought I would ask what you all think for current opinions.

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 10:59 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,838,205 times
I just graduated from Fashion School and I have to say where you went to school means a lot, at least in my experience. Some of the best fashion schools in the world are in NYC and you are competing with all of those graduate who have 5-10 internship with NY based companies. When you say you work in fashion, what do you mean? Are you a buyer? Designer? PR person? Most staring salaries are between $25,000 - $40,000

Anything else I can answer.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:43 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,309,749 times
Holy sh**!! $2,000 is going to last you about 5 minutes. I know you have a place to crash for a month, but how do you plan to cover all your up-front apartment costs (1st month's rent, security deposit equal to 1 month's rent, credit check/application fee, possible brokers fee, etc). On a crappy apartment in an unsafe neighborhood, all of that can add up to over $2,000 easily....and it must be paid in cash/xashier's check....not on credit cards!!

I am in fashion, too. What exactly are you looking for - buying, sales rep, styling, media, pr? Feb 1 is the beginning of the new fiscal year for many retailers and some wholsale companies so there will be some turnover in the coming months.

NYC is all about who you know. There aren't any networking "events" persay....networking means calling and emailing all your fashion industry connections to see who they know who could help you, and then calling those people and their connections until you find a good job.

I don't think you have thought this move through, but I wish you luck.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:21 PM

Thanks for the advice. The point was kinda to pick up and leave and have no choice but to make it- I know many people who have done it on much less. If worse comes to worse, I will just have to move back, but Im not planning on that.

I work in fashion PR- have a TON of experience (including several years as a managing publicist) and the education as well. I already have interviews lined up for when I get there and I do know some people at a few high-end design companies so Im hoping something will work out. I was wondering what you guys did to make it? How did you get to where you are?

Old 12-29-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breecarson View Post
Thanks for the advice. The point was kinda to pick up and leave and have no choice but to make it- I know many people who have done it on much less. If worse comes to worse, I will just have to move back, but Im not planning on that.

I work in fashion PR- have a TON of experience (including several years as a managing publicist) and the education as well. I already have interviews lined up for when I get there and I do know some people at a few high-end design companies so Im hoping something will work out. I was wondering what you guys did to make it? How did you get to where you are?
I got an internship offer in NYC upon graduating from college in Texas. I worked all summer at home and saved up about $13,000 and moved to NYC in the fall.....About $8k of savings went pretty fast between flying up to NYC to find an apartment, signing a lease, buying a mattress, furniture, etc for the apartment (easier than shipping stuff), and buying a winter wardrobe since I didn't have a proper coat or enough sweaters & boots!

Did a 6-month internship at a luxury dept store, which led to several full time job offers for other dept stores & specialty stores to be an Assistant Buyer. Took the best offer, spent over 4 years working up through that company and then took my "NYC experienced" self back to Texas, where I am a buyer with a luxury dept store here. I nearly doubled my salary when I moved from NYC back to TX- that's how much the "NYC experience" is worth to an employer.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:57 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,838,205 times
I attended 4 year of College in Ohio. Then I got a 2 year degree from a top fashion school. I was recently accepted into an Executive Training program for a major department store. My interview was a group interview and I was up against people from Wharton School of Business. I did 4 unpaid internships just to build up my resume.

I am not sure how many people you know who have made it on much less than $2,000.

Also, how do you have TONS of experience when you are only in your mid twenties. Heck I'm in my mid twenties and I at my first job. PR salaries start notoriously low, just an FYI.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:43 PM

Thanks so much for the advice. I love hearing other peoples stories for ideas and inspiration. Luckilly my move will be pretty cheap, I am having all my furniture moved on a company truck that already goes to NYC weekly owned by my friends company, so that will cut down on prices. I am worried about the initial rent fees though, I'm hoping I start working within 2 weeks of me being there to get some cashflow that month!

And ohiogirl- I have a bunch of experience because I have worked my ass of in PR specifically in fashion all through college since I was 18 years old. (now 25). I started at the bottom and worked my way up to being a managing partner/publicist of a PR firm. I've worked 3 jobs, have 7 excellent letters of recommendation and a huge portfolio of proven results that I bring to interviews. I have worked at 3 different places along with being in charge of PR at about 12 community fashion shows (volunteer work to gain experience). I really spend the time researching the company I'm applying for and customize my cover letter which I find has really helped- like I said I already have interviews lined up and they aren't for entry-level...The jobs I have secured meetings with start around $70-75k which I would be happy with for my first job in NYC. Where there's a will there's a way, and if I want something for myself I will make it happen no matter how much discouragement I hear.

Also, I do know several people who have gone with nothing and made it happen for themselves...most self-made successful people start out with nothing.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:54 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,386,823 times
Quote:
Thanks so much for the advice. I love hearing other peoples stories for ideas and inspiration. Luckilly my move will be pretty cheap, I am having all my furniture moved on a company truck that already goes to NYC weekly owned by my friends company, so that will cut down on prices. I am worried about the initial rent fees though, I'm hoping I start working within 2 weeks of me being there to get some cashflow that month!

And ohiogirl- I have a bunch of experience because I have worked my ass of in PR specifically in fashion all through college since I was 18 years old. (now 25). I started at the bottom and worked my way up to being a managing partner/publicist of a PR firm. I've worked 3 jobs, have 7 excellent letters of recommendation and a huge portfolio of proven results that I bring to interviews. I have worked at 3 different places along with being in charge of PR at about 12 community fashion shows (volunteer work to gain experience). I really spend the time researching the company I'm applying for and customize my cover letter which I find has really helped- like I said I already have interviews lined up and they aren't for entry-level...The jobs I have secured meetings with start around $70-75k which I would be happy with for my first job in NYC. Where there's a will there's a way, and if I want something for myself I will make it happen no matter how much discouragement I hear.

Also, I do know several people who have gone with nothing and made it happen for themselves...most self-made successful people start out with nothing.
I don't want to crush your dreams but I have a feeling they are fibbing a litle bit on those #'s...but I wish you much luck.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:02 PM

Hmmm well I think I'll take my chances - they are pretty reputable companies.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Even if you start working within 2 weeks, you probably won't see a paycheck for a while. The last time I changed jobs, I took 2 weeks off between them and I went without a paycheck for 6-7 weeks due to the pay cycles each company was on.

If you're mid to senior level, those salary ranges don't sound crazy. But there was another poster on the forum today that said she accepted an offer $20k less than what was discussed during her interview. It's desperate times and companies can afford to lowball because there are so many talented unemployed people in the job market right now. Not saying your $75k dreams won't become a reality; just be prepared if it doesn't happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City