Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 11:17 AM

129 posts, read 373,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
We are respecting People's sensitivity, like we would not built a memorial of hitler next to a jewish massacre site.

Do you respect people's sensitivity?
Two things:

1) Let me help you make your point a bit clearer. Essentially you are saying that freedom can be denied based on sensitivity. You are still denying freedom

2) And I don't know why people find thsi hard to understand. Not all muslims are terrorists!! Why shouldn't peace abiding citizens build their mosque? This isn't a pro 9/11 shrine as your analogy suggests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
We are respecting People's sensitivity, like we would not built a memorial of hitler next to a jewish massacre site.

Also, your stance of its ok to deny freedom and american liberties based on sensitivity is concerning because it could open up a slipper slope.

Should we deny freedom of speech? What If I found a church offensive because for some reason or another. And I said no churches in my neighborhood?

I would be more inclined to be on your side IF this mosque was a terrorist center. Its not. Its just a mosque.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:23 AM

810 posts, read 838,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrowe224 View Post
Two things:

1) Let me help you make your point a bit clearer. Essentially you are saying that freedom can be denied based on sensitivity. You are still denying freedom
That is the way the world works. Everyone has to walk on eggshells regardless of logic or scientific facts, so we let people have their faith. And that is fine, but the problem is that certain "faiths" hold more weight than orders, and those who follow them demand special treatment. That is the key issue here, because to many the area of Lower Manhattan around Ground Zero is like sacred ground. Of course, even they have their own hypocrisy because there are many things there, but why cant we let these people do their whining? How many times have we heard of small agitation groups preventing things because it offends them.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:07 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,576,113 times
Quote:
The point with the situation is they want Americans to be tolerant when Americans are very tolerant of muslims, its muslims who are not tolerant of us.

Also its a sensitivity issue

your post implies that there are no American muslims.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDullesMJ12 View Post
That is the way the world works. Everyone has to walk on eggshells regardless of logic or scientific facts, so we let people have their faith. And that is fine, but the problem is that certain "faiths" hold more weight than orders, and those who follow them demand special treatment. That is the key issue here, because to many the area of Lower Manhattan around Ground Zero is like sacred ground. Of course, even they have their own hypocrisy because there are many things there, but why cant we let these people do their whining? How many times have we heard of small agitation groups preventing things because it offends them.

Sigh. Ground Zero is sacred ground. The foot print of the actual WTC. No one said anywhere else in lower manhattan was sacred ground UNTIL the mosque/community center proposal.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:

as far as i can tell every eastern european town that was the site of a massacre of Jews by Hitler, or by christian antisemities, has a Catholic or Orthodox church.

There WAS a controversy about an convent to be built at Auschwitz - that was going to be right by the gates to the camp. Auschwitz is not a crowded urban area like lower Manhattan.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:35 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,677,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
your post implies that there are no American muslims.
Where does it imply that?

Old 01-07-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Also, your stance of its ok to deny freedom and american liberties based on sensitivity is concerning because it could open up a slipper slope.

Should we deny freedom of speech? What If I found a church offensive because for some reason or another. And I said no churches in my neighborhood?

I would be more inclined to be on your side IF this mosque was a terrorist center. Its not. Its just a mosque.
You are forgetting what happen on 9/11.
Thats what this is about 9/11.

Is what the muslims did on 9/11 a freedom of speech on us?

Old 01-07-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
You are forgetting what happen on 9/11.
Thats what this is about 9/11.

Is what the muslims did on 9/11 a freedom of speech on us?
This is not about 9/11. The Mosque is not on ground zero. Its in lower manhattan. Its a community center with peace abiding citizens. They are not terrorists.

My point on freedom of speech is that it is an american liberty. You can say whatever you want. Your claim is that freedom can be denied based on sensitivity. So would it be ok to restrict freedom of speech in the future? I'M NOT EQUATING 9/11 TO A DISPALY OF FREEDOM OF SPEECH. I'm not sure where you got that impression.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:

Your example is different from what I am saying.

Over 2,000 Americans died on 9/11.

An example is when 1 group of people Kills another group & boldly wants to put up a center in their habitat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: