Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 04:52 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,671,307 times

Advertisements

....Look at all that "hot ghetto mess" in Williamsburg!

Schaefer Landing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 06:38 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,873,863 times
LOL, I wonder how many here will get the reference?

Old 07-16-2007, 10:25 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,934 times
Who said Williamsburg was a ghetto. Yeah it's run down looking, dirty. Yeah sales have been cut in half over the years for the neighborhood. Yeah most yuppies don't even pay the rent, their parents do. Still no one said it was a dump. Now Bushwick, now that's a dump.

Plus this building is going up right along the River, a block south of the Williamsburg Bridge, Brooklyn side. The Manhattan side of the bridge along the water is much worse. Too bad for them there is public housing on their side too. Williamsburg around there is so-so.

It's almost like those towers in South America. They never come close to the rendering. Tall and mightly looking from far, then you look at the base, slum people, dirty, gritty surroundings. Building security keeps "them" away. Not that extreme. Yet... the future of NYC.

Last edited by Hustla718; 07-16-2007 at 11:04 PM..

Old 07-17-2007, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Who said Williamsburg was a ghetto. Yeah it's run down looking, dirty. Yeah sales have been cut in half over the years for the neighborhood. Yeah most yuppies don't even pay the rent, their parents do. Still no one said it was a dump. Now Bushwick, now that's a dump.

Plus this building is going up right along the River, a block south of the Williamsburg Bridge, Brooklyn side. The Manhattan side of the bridge along the water is much worse. Too bad for them there is public housing on their side too. Williamsburg around there is so-so.

It's almost like those towers in South America. They never come close to the rendering. Tall and mightly looking from far, then you look at the base, slum people, dirty, gritty surroundings. Building security keeps "them" away. Not that extreme. Yet... the future of NYC.
Williamsburg was a ghetto! And that condo is not one block away from the Bridge (the map makes it look like it is!). It's a bit of a trek to the Marcy Ave station (I think the condo has shuttle buses.). And a bit of a trek to Peter Luger's!

Taylor/Whythe Houses are on Bedford Avenue!

And yes, Bushwick is turning around!

Old 07-17-2007, 03:17 PM

52 posts, read 217,817 times
All it will take is for the stock market to take a dive under 10k; and that will sink the Euro markets- meaning all those buyers will tank out as the hipster moms and dads will force jr. and his live-in girlfriend to go back to the burbs- or Europe, as the case may be. These little babies will be snapped up by the Hasids in no time. I've seen them as far south as DeKalb now. Real Estate geniuses those Hasidim...

My pappy loved Schaefer. Reingold, too...

Old 07-17-2007, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson99 View Post
All it will take is for the stock market to take a dive under 10k; and that will sink the Euro markets- meaning all those buyers will tank out as the hipster moms and dads will force jr. and his live-in girlfriend to go back to the burbs- or Europe, as the case may be. These little babies will be snapped up by the Hasids in no time. I've seen them as far south as DeKalb now. Real Estate geniuses those Hasidim...

My pappy loved Schaefer. Reingold, too...
Far south as DeKalb? I saw a Hasidim man in front of a KFC on Fulton and Nostrand (further south). And I'm sure he wasn't buying a 21-piece.

I don't know about real estate geniuses, but the Hasidim do put a plan in action, and have a way of effectively using resources to get what they want.

With regard to the market, I was thinking the same thing....but it's at 14K, now!

Pappy was a Met fan, right!

Old 07-17-2007, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Far south as DeKalb? I saw a Hasidim man in front of a KFC on Fulton and Nostrand (further south). And I'm sure he wasn't buying a 21-piece.
Hah!

I told Pap once that I liked Reggie Jackson. I was 8. He sucked his teeth dismissively...Yankees? They STINK! that's it. No more baseball talk w/ g'pappy.

You KNOW that market is going to tank sooner or later. I hate to say it, but one more successful attack- even on the Asian market, and investor confidence will be really shaken. Conservation will be the rule, risk will be out. When it does, I bet that the Yups will DUMP condos quicker than yesterday's news, (the Brownstones will be the last to go...) Then the game of Hot Potato starts in the borderline/"up and coming" neighborhoods.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:03 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,202,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson99 View Post
Hah!

I told Pap once that I liked Reggie Jackson. I was 8. He sucked his teeth dismissively...Yankees? They STINK! that's it. No more baseball talk w/ g'pappy.

You KNOW that market is going to tank sooner or later. I hate to say it, but one more successful attack- even on the Asian market, and investor confidence will be really shaken. Conservation will be the rule, risk will be out. When it does, I bet that the Yups will DUMP condos quicker than yesterday's news, (the Brownstones will be the last to go...) Then the game of Hot Potato starts in the borderline/"up and coming" neighborhoods.
and after the big bad yups dump their condos where do you think they'll go to live?
they'll be bidding up the price of the slums on w 146 st and force out all those cool poor people.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:18 PM

435 posts, read 1,520,715 times
The only thing that will happen if the market crashes will be one of two things

1) Yuppies stay and continue to improve the neighborhood, allowing gentification to continue when the market comes back.

2) Yuppies leave, tax rolls nosedive, crime skyrockets, and city falls apart (again).

Old 07-17-2007, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
and after the big bad yups dump their condos where do you think they'll go to live?
You mean after their sandbox is kicked over? Back home in the midwest or back to Europe and Asia...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: