Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2011, 09:13 AM

5 posts, read 6,010 times

Advertisements

I am a homeowner living in Florida and am exploring the idea of relocating to NY. Relocating will most likely result in renting an apartment. I was curious, since a majority of people in NYC rent their homes (apartments) are there any income tax deductions available to them similar to the mortgage interest deduction that home owners have? I have been a homeowner for the last 25 years and am trying to understand all of the adjustments that I will need to make if this move is made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 10:28 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,249,827 times
No tax deduction for paying rent.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:31 AM

7 posts, read 8,617 times
you could sublet 1 bedroom to yourself for your own business and write that off on taxes.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:56 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whe4 View Post
I am a homeowner living in Florida and am exploring the idea of relocating to NY. Relocating will most likely result in renting an apartment. I was curious, since a majority of people in NYC rent their homes (apartments) are there any income tax deductions available to them similar to the mortgage interest deduction that home owners have? I have been a homeowner for the last 25 years and am trying to understand all of the adjustments that I will need to make if this move is made.
No tax deduction for renters...otherwise what would be the purpose in people buying homes when they could just rent, which is cheaper generally, and get $$ off their taxes? hah, nice try.

I guess ya gotta look at the numbers. The way you are speaking it sounds like you are single...or moving here alone. I own a place...albeit the SMALLEST place in the world, but as a single (unmarried) person, what the hell do I need a large place or a whole house for? Mine is a studio and for me it's fine. My place to own costs less than $1,000/mo. I also do not live in the city, I live on LI. Bottom line was...I looked at the monthly prices to rent vs. the monthly price to buy this place...and for me, this was cheaper so I went that route.

IMO I do feel it is a better choice to buy b/c it's an investment you can hold on to and then make $$ on in the end. No one has ever made $$ renting (except the landlord).

Good luck with either decision.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:57 PM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
the tax deduction only means you spent 3 or 4 dollars as an expense over and above the cost of the house and got back 1 of them... your better off without the expenses then the deduction by far...

in the city now there is about a 25-30% dfference on average between buying a place or renting a similiar place. it can take as much as a decade at 3% rent increases to have the lines cross where its cheaper to own.

the bigger wild card is if you have the money to buy and choose to rent what did you invest the money in from the down payment you didnt make and did you invest the difference each month for that decade that you were saving by renting? thats the key to whether you are ahead renting or buying. by far the markets out performed the growth of my home in queens which i bought in 1987 for 160,000 or so. i sold it for about 400k... the same money put into a nothing special mix of fidelity funds is enough today to buy two homes even after subtracting out all the rent that would have been paid.

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-14-2011 at 05:17 PM..

Old 01-14-2011, 07:17 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
You can deduct rent in Massachusetts. Up to $3000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City