Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 02:27 PM

1 posts, read 5,611 times

Advertisements

Hey All,

I'm sorry to burden the forum with another NYCHA question but I've searched for this answer and have so far turned up blank.

My mom is moving to New Hampshire in April. I am 22 years old and my sister is 19. She goes to school and work and I work full time as well. Our monthly income isn't enough to be able to support a 2 bedroom in NYC, I too plan on attending school this fall, full time.

Anyhow, my mother doesn't want to "leave the apartment" to us. We asked if she could just move out and return when recertification is due, but she doesn't want to do that either. I know she wants us to all be able to support ourselves and its a parenting thing, but right now thats not realistic and I don't want to go into a shelter with my sister if we've got a place we can afford.

So my question is this, if she moves away, do we get kicked out on the street? We are both on the lease, does that help us in anyway? Please let me know asap!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 02:45 PM

91 posts, read 312,051 times
If your name is on the lease, then you should be able to take it over. The new rent will then go by the income of your sister and yourself. Just keep in mind that they might ask that you move to a smaller unit (such as a one-bedroom.) But that might be a good thing, as your rent will go down even further.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:36 PM

98 posts, read 391,151 times
I dont think they will move you down to a 1 bedroom as u are both adults and both have income...
MF-Colon is right as long as u are on the lease they cant kick you out..

Old 01-29-2011, 09:53 PM

8 posts, read 68,165 times
They can't kick you out because you guys are on the lease. When your mother leaves, go to the management office and request to have her removed from the lease. Your rent will adjusted to you and your sisters income. Your rent will go down which will make it more afordable for you guys. They won't downgrade you into a smaller apartment because you guys are both adults.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:26 PM

31 posts, read 129,226 times
Sorry for the mis-spellings.

If your name was or has ever been on the least as a perminant tenant then you should be able to take of the least without your mothers aproval. Just don't move out, another thing I suggest is applying to NYCHA that way they can't kick you our either.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:43 PM

3 posts, read 12,056 times
Hi my name is evelyn and im in a shelter i been here for 3 months and i had apply for housing is been 3 years and these ppl in the shelter want me to fine s place before june 30 what can i do to get nycha fast before june 30 please help

Old 04-25-2014, 02:50 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,898 times
How can someone in a shelter get on the internet? Do they provide you with internet access?

Old 04-25-2014, 04:49 PM

No i use my phone

Old 04-25-2014, 05:26 PM

39 posts, read 109,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evelyn torres View Post
No i use my phone
Have u check your status with nycha?

Old 04-25-2014, 05:37 PM

Yes i did and they telling me im still in the waiting list and that i have to wait like everybody else
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City