Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 04:29 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
The blueprint for this idea already exists. Co-op city in the Bronx is occupant owned public housing. Is it a great place to live? No, but it is a cut above the PJ's.

Co-op city is privately managed but still needs taxpayer donations to supplement the occupant maintenance fees. From the taxpayers perspective it is a huge money hole as the occupants do not pay enough maintenance to cover building repairs and day to day ops.
I don't think Coop City is publicly owned. It's private, with public subsidies, as with all Mitchell-Lamas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 09:15 AM

435 posts, read 1,520,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Oh God, I hope one of the fine youths of the "real" LES puts a bullet in the OP's head. It's thinking like this that creates so much tension between have's and have nots. Not everyone in the projects is a pig criminal. A minority of the bunch makes it a dump for everyone. Most of those people REALLY need that housing.

Also the way the housing is designed it would take major renovations. years of neglect has really worn things down, and many "features" are not desireable to someone who wants to buy/rent at market rate. Thank god they are tough or they would have ended up like the Robert Taylor homes in Chicago, demolished.

If anyone else on this site pushes that myth, it's you. Your the first one to say how whole swaths of the city are ghettos. After comments like that, why are you so surprised people think the way they do?

Old 07-18-2007, 10:01 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,204,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briarwood View Post
If anyone else on this site pushes that myth, it's you. Your the first one to say how whole swaths of the city are ghettos. After comments like that, why are you so surprised people think the way they do?
I don't know what your beef is, his reports are pretty accurate and are not mythical.

regardless of whether you like it or not the reality is that vast swaths of the city are ghettos that are dangerous and not desirable places to go to or live in.
There are many nice parts of the city but to gloss over or ignore the truth about the bad parts is disingenuous

Old 07-18-2007, 12:57 PM

/\ I'm not stupid. I know there issues. But let's keep it real with the fact that many people in these hoods are good people. Also, I do feel the vast majority of the city will come back to being great places to live.

And what makes it even more a joke is the white posers like 99 and Eugene who want to keep neighborhoods ****ty.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:26 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,799,627 times
Quote:
Really quote me then. You know exactly what areas I do not recommend. It is a handful of obvious neighborhoods.

Quote:
/\ I'm not stupid. I know there issues. But let's keep it real with the fact that many people in these hoods are good people. Also, I do feel the vast majority of the city will come back to being great places to live.

And what makes it even more a joke is the white posers like 99 and Eugene who want to keep neighborhoods ****ty.
If you look at the history of NY, there will always be undesireable ghetto neighborhoods. Deal with it. What you see now may be the best you ever see. Especially with todays social issues.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Really quote me then. You know exactly what areas I do not recommend. It is a handful of obvious neighborhoods.

Uhhh, there's more than enough material around the forum to prove my point.

Quote:
If you look at the history of NY, there will always be undesireable ghetto neighborhoods. Deal with it. What you see now may be the best you ever see. Especially with todays social issues.

Yes, there will be. But people forget that the areas being gentrified a) used to be good and b) make up a very small precentage of the total "ghetto". I'm sick of hearing about "poor poor people". No one is suggesting ENY/Brownsville or Soundview here. I tend to make distinctions between "bad" neighborhoods and "beyond hope" neighborhoods.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:30 AM

842 posts, read 4,309,348 times
After the shooting of an actress in the Lower East Side, is are there more police in the neighborhood? Aren't the apartments directly across from the projects afraid? What is the average rent for those apartments?

I would'nt live there.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubBR View Post
After the shooting of an actress in the Lower East Side, is are there more police in the neighborhood? Aren't the apartments directly across from the projects afraid? What is the average rent for those apartments?

I would'nt live there.
The rent is high I belive, although Avenue D is ghetto. A couple homeless shelters and halfway houses on that block too.

The shooting of the actress wasn't the first or the last incident. People get shot in that area all the time. There is a very strong drug trade. Muggings forget about it. The LES overall has changed a lot, but the parts along the East River still make up a very bad neighborhood.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:54 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,883 times
I lived in the Seward Park coops for many years, well before it went private. Was dirt cheap to buy in. When they went private, they upped the prices gradually. Lived across the street and down a block or two from housing projects. Had no trouble. The coops are gated off/have security guards when you get inside. Plus the LES has been gentrifying for years. Now there's luxe condos exp. north of Delancey. Lots of bars, restaurants around there too.

Old 07-19-2007, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
I lived in the Seward Park coops for many years, well before it went private. Was dirt cheap to buy in. When they went private, they upped the prices gradually. Lived across the street and down a block or two from housing projects. Had no trouble. The coops are gated off/have security guards when you get inside. Plus the LES has been gentrifying for years. Now there's luxe condos exp. north of Delancey. Lots of bars, restaurants around there too.
You just backed what most of us have said. The LES as a whole has changed a ton, but the housing projects along the East River are the ghetto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City