Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 02:12 PM

1 posts, read 7,428 times

Advertisements

Dear all,

I am looking for an affordable-yet-safe neighborhood within a reasonable (~ 25-35min) commute to NYU Law that would cost around 1500-1800/month for me and my wife. Ideally the apt would be a 1br/1ba with a living room and kitchen - but I can assume that's probably a stretch on the budget outlined. Would love to know if anyone has any advice.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 07:13 PM

51 posts, read 281,826 times
Drop out of NYU Law school, that would be my advice.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/bu...e&ref=business

I'm serious.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:04 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,124,801 times
I dont know much about Jersey, but there is a PATH station right near NYU so perhaps that might be a possibility.

Also, have you checked with NYU housing to see if they have a site that recommends neighborhoods and gives general price ranges for apartment in those neighborhoods?

Old 01-23-2011, 09:15 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,231,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros11 View Post

I'm serious.
NYU is not the sort of law school to which that sort of article applies (it's considered one of the best). If he were at Brooklyn or Cardozo or St. John's... yeah, said advice applies.

Anyway, try the Upper East Side, in the 80s and 90s. Or look in Brooklyn, at Cobble Hill or Carroll Gardens. You won't find $1500, but $1700-1800 for a 1 BR should be doable in those places with some luck. Hoboken, NJ or the Newport area of Jersey City might also be worth a look, with the PATH.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:17 PM

724 posts, read 1,685,346 times
The subject of that article on law school went to a really low tier school in California, a state that has more law schools than plumbing schools. NYU law school is a pipeline into a high paying job somewhere.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:38 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,588,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
The subject of that article on law school went to a really low tier school in California, a state that has more law schools than plumbing schools. NYU law school is a pipeline into a high paying job somewhere.
Eh...probably. I've encountered anecdotal evidence over the past year or two suggesting even grads from top tier programs don't always walk into $100k+/yr positions with major firms like they used to. If a guy like him ends up out of work for 6 months or is forced down the ladder into a legal assistant position that pays half what he was expecting, that would be a major slap in the face considering the time and money invested. I think stuff like that is happening though to the less fortunate or well connected, even if they went to a good school.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:09 PM

349 posts, read 781,351 times
Quote:

I'm serious.
If this guy is over 200k in debt and can't find a job why is he living in one of the most expensive cities in the US?

Old 02-03-2011, 11:38 PM

112 posts, read 352,501 times
OP, I can't discourage you from attending law school because I don't know all the details and circumstances of your life. To answer you question however, I would recommend you forget about living in Manhattan and try to find an apartment in Queens. Forest Hills and Rego Park are only about 35-45 mins away from NYU by subway. There are tons of coops which owners are always trying to sublet, in your price range. You can find a spacious 1 bedroom, in a building that may even have some amentities, in an area where you can shop and live for a lot less. That area of Queens has a new mall called Rego Mall with Costco, Aldi's, TJ Maxx, Century 21, etc. where you can buy your groceries and clothes at much lower prices than in Manhattan. It's a very dull area otherwise, but an affordable one. Good luck!

Old 02-04-2011, 04:18 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,955,142 times
I'll recommend Jersey to you. Off of Blvd East in Weehawken in particular...easy access to the city by buses with very frequent access. Depending where you are in Weehawken you can get to the Port Authority Station on 42nd St. in 10-20min. You can easily find a 1BR in the price range you're looking for and the area overlook to midtown NYC is unbelievable. Take a look!

Old 02-04-2011, 08:48 AM

129 posts, read 373,127 times
Quote:

I'm serious.

That guy, who is a complete fool, went to a 4th tier law school. What did he expect? His sense of entitlement is mind numbing..he went law school just for prestige??

NYU is a whole other ball-game. Obviously, nothing is gauranteed, but your odds are much better here. In fact, i think about 50% of the students go into big law.

get a small studio in the midtown east area.. really east.. near 1st ave. You can probably get a studio for 1800 here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City