Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 05:38 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,642,563 times

Advertisements

It was a scene straight out of old New York. I'm waiting At the end of the platform @ norstrand avenue station for the c train (delayed of course) and there's a homeless man in very bad shape. He awakes by the sound of a train on the upper level and sees me standing nearby. He yells at me to move away and then follows me to apologize for being rude. He begins to talk to me and of course I'm hesistant. I saw a needle sticking out of his arm with bloody looking track marks. I pretended that I did not see. The train came at that point and luckily I wasn't stuck there to be asked for money.

Where do they get their smack and how is this is really happening out in the open? It's so sad and unfair for both people, including children, to see these scary drug scenes. Are the police going after the sellers that keeping these junkies addicted and desperate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 05:41 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,857,841 times
There was an article in the New York Times yesterday (or the day before) about how the subways after midnight are now makeshift homeless shelters. Very eye opening. I see it EVERYWHERE. It's gotten so much more visibly (and nasally) worse in the last few months. I work in the SoHo area and see visible dealing daily from all the methadone clinic patients at the clinic on lafayette street. They are SO brazen these days. I've worked near that clinic btw for almost 20 years now, but in the last year or so they are all over the place selling/dealing/using/fighting... the tourists and workers in the area are so busy with their heads in their phones they don't notice what is going around them. I do. I do because of my family history and these junkies remind me of many of my family members. They also seem like they are always ready to just snap in a second.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:44 PM

And truth be told, I wouldn't even GIVE a crap if rents came down a bit. but they aren't Because everyone is so in their own little world now and all the new buildings going up have mega security and all the amenities IN THEIR BUILDINGS so they never have to leave their little yunnie hives.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:47 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,895,290 times
Wow

Old 01-11-2018, 05:49 PM

Share your opinion! What are you WOW'ing exactly? That people are starting to notice this MUCH MORE now? or that it IS bad?

Old 01-11-2018, 05:53 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,895,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Share your opinion! What are you WOW'ing exactly? That people are starting to notice this MUCH MORE now? or that it IS bad?
They’re gettin more bold and in your face with it

Old 01-11-2018, 06:02 PM

I don't think they even REALIZE they are in peoples' faces, it's a very close-knit community of junkies i've noticed over the years. They come from all over to get to that methadone clinic. Strange considering how high rent the area is that place never has closed down or moved. I think it's just that there is less of a push to get them out of the way? I don't know. Like I said, I've been watching them for many many years now and maybe that makes me a total weirdo. They used to infiltrate the Starbucks on Spring Street in SoHo. I used to sit there on my lunch hour to read and stuff, but I always found myself evesdropping on their shenanigans. It's depressing as hell. Most of them always seemed to have the social awareness of someone who is like six years old that's how messed up they are. What do we do with people like this? The war on drugs didn't work, mass incarceration didn't work. Mental institutions like back in the 40s-60s? Free drugs for anyone who wants them in a walled off community somewhere? Maybe rebrand the closing of Riker's Island as opioid island? At least they aren't on meth and crank and it's heroin so they are just more of a nuisance to themselves without the violence, but many are also addicted to other drugs and alcohol too that make it worse.

I think the major reason wealthy young people move to down-trodden areas these days IS because they are able to tune it all out. No one NEEDS to go out to local bars and pubs and music venues, no one NEEDS to really shop locally, no one NEEDS to engage with their neighbors as long as they have virtual doormen. It's creepy and dystopian (sp?) and I worry sometimes what side of the fence I'm gonna eventually wind up on. cuz we all do wind up on one side of the fence of not.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:16 PM

6,153 posts, read 4,525,082 times
You picked your side of the fence a long time ago and have worked hard to stay there. I'm not worried about you.

I also noticed junkies being more out in the open before I had to move, but the sad fact is that's probably because there are more of them.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:29 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,241,134 times
I've seen people use every kind of drug on the train or waiting for the train. Today someone was smoking crack while I was waiting for the subway. One time a woman blew it in my face....I was not too please

Old 01-11-2018, 06:33 PM

quote:
Today someone was smoking crack while I was waiting for the subway. One time a woman blew it in my face...

LOL! I'm not a crackhead, but I would have been like... BLOWBACK!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City