Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 07:29 AM

1,123 posts, read 777,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newjitty View Post

Even higher in Suffolk.. Why be doctor or lawyer when you can make bank moving deer and branches off the road?
You missed the most obscene part of the article, listing where cops were paid $700,000! When I saw that i screamed:

"Such incentives led to at least six retirees earning more than $700,000 last year, according to the County Comptroller's Office."

There is going to be a massive uprising in this country, and the public union workers are going to be amongst the first dealt with.

I cannot think of any group of people who have taken more advantage, been more abusive of the public trust, more selfishly-inclined, than these public unions. The day of their de-certification and despicable vote-buying for benefits-alliance with scum of the earth politicians like sheldon silver are at an end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullprick View Post
Perception is ones view on something and no matter what you will have people much like yourself who think we are here to be minimum wage workers that can be fired because someone got rubbed the wrong way 1 morning going to work. If you think that NY state will be allowed to claim bankruptcy I am giving you way too much credit on the intelligence front.
Not only are states going to start declaring bankruptcy, but cities as well.

As usual, the only ammunition the public employee union defenders can bring is emotion and personal insults.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:04 AM

Look like another city is about to end the public employee gravy train:

Pittsburgh's Pension Woes Call for a Hail Mary - WSJ.com

U.S. NEWSFEBRUARY 5, 2011
Pittsburgh Plays Pension Defense
City Officials May Need Hail Mary Pass As Unfunded Liability Hits $700 Million

"Under a state plan, the city would have to pay $127 million into the pension funds in 2017, up from $50 million in 2011. By comparison, the city's total current annual budget is $450 million.

Pittsburgh already devotes half of taxpayer dollars to debt, pensions and health-care costs for city workers. Under state oversight, that would rise to 70%, requiring large across-the-board cuts to public safety and other employees, and cuts to services in a city that already struggles to maintain its aging bridges and roads."

=====================================

Just like in NYC, a majority, if not all, of the entire city's budget will be delegated towards funding public employee salaries and pensions. We'll see how long that continues...

Old 02-05-2011, 11:18 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,338,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterpetron View Post
Not only are states going to start declaring bankruptcy, but cities as well.

As usual, the only ammunition the public employee union defenders can bring is emotion and personal insults.
Vallejo, CA already did it.

Unfortunately the LEGAL BILLS are insane and are eating up a lot of the taxpayers' money.

But Vallejo had no choice because the public service unions WOULD NOT COOPERATE with them.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:09 PM

34,148 posts, read 47,382,855 times
I went back and read all 26 pages of this thread.....my conclusion is that unions are outdated (for public and private sector). Given the nature of why unions were created, I just don't see a use for them anymore.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City