Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 03:23 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,681,455 times

Advertisements

I have heard from others that it's nearly impossible to meet women on the streets of NYC. The only way to get potential partners is by connections. Is this a myth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 03:27 PM

420 posts, read 805,257 times
People in NYC don't generally talk to strangers on the street.

But at the gym, in bars, at pubs etc... it is extremely easy to woman in NYC. Got to remember that there a lot more single woman than men in NYC.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:12 PM

518 posts, read 1,580,325 times
id say the chances of stopping a women on the street and talking to her is prob going to be hard unless you are super good looking.(and even then, you may still come off as a creep)

I always met potential mates at places where groups of people with a common interest - college/work/local watering holes. friends never helped me meet men.

In the end, Friendster (dating myself here) was the thing that got me hooked up - and I married him!

Old 01-29-2011, 06:22 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
You need to understand one thing in nyc, many women say that they are taken but they are really single and the women that are really single are actually taken or have other intrest in someone else.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:33 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,639,758 times
I wouldn't say it's impossible but its pretty friggin hard. Women in NYC (or most people of NYC for that matter) or a little bit more standoffish, reserved and have their guards up a lot of the time. I've gotten some numbers and women both through meeting them myself (clubs, parties, bars, school other activities) and through friends as well.

It definitely helps to have a lot of money, be very good looking and have your own apartment (and maybe car) in this city. Women in NYC tend to be more high maintenance and materialistic (not all of course) since NYC has become a more money obsessed and corporate city. Its not absolutely necessary because my poor ass managed to meet a few women, it's still one HECK of a mission and I fail more so than not but don't get pessimistic, like I said-its NOT impossible just hard to childishly hard.

I feel if you can get a lady here in NYC, you can pretty much get a lady in (almost) any other city.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:42 PM

468 posts, read 1,338,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
I wouldn't say it's impossible but its pretty friggin hard. Women in NYC (or most people of NYC for that matter) or a little bit more standoffish, reserved and have their guards up a lot of the time. I've gotten some numbers and women both through meeting them myself (clubs, parties, bars, school other activities) and through friends as well.

It definitely helps to have a lot of money, be very good looking and have your own apartment (and maybe car) in this city. Women in NYC tend to be more high maintenance and materialistic (not all of course) since NYC has become a more money obsessed and corporate city. Its not absolutely necessary because my poor ass managed to meet a few women, it's still one HECK of a mission and I fail more so than not but don't get pessimistic, like I said-its NOT impossible just hard to childishly hard.

I feel if you can get a lady here in NYC, you can pretty much get a lady in (almost) any other city.
It also helps if you play for the Yankees or the Knicks.

Women like that kind of stuff.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:46 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
You want to meet women in NYC without going through hassles? Try Gallagher's 2000, FlashDancers ot The VIP Club.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
People in NYC don't generally talk to strangers on the street.

But at the gym, in bars, at pubs etc... it is extremely easy to woman in NYC. Got to remember that there a lot more single woman than men in NYC.

That is such hyperbole. I mean, maybe its different for you, maybe you're a mega-hot guy and have a lot of money. If that's the case, then OF COURSE it's extremely easy.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:20 AM

17 posts, read 24,267 times
Tough city! Tough! Even the NY women in their 60's (on Internet singles sites) are far more picky than their non NY counterparts. Yep even the obese and plain older ones overrate themselves and act like Brad Pitt is coming so they ignore the messages or the flirts of us ordinary men.

Amazing what hairdye makeup and maybe botox can do for NY women.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahon View Post
Tough city! Tough! Even the NY women in their 60's (on Internet singles sites) are far more picky than their non NY counterparts. Yep even the obese and plain older ones overrate themselves and act like Brad Pitt is coming so they ignore the messages or the flirts of us ordinary men.

Amazing what hairdye makeup and maybe botox can do for NY women.
I agree. I hate to say it but most (NOT all, I know people get picky here for over generalizing) NYC women are pretty full of themselves. You have to have the $$$ and be at least decent looking. You can be good in bed and even that won't do anything for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City