Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 05:28 PM

177 posts, read 416,159 times

Advertisements

Can you go to a social worker at your local mental health clinic? That might be a person who can help with where to get an apartment, or how about NAMI?
I think finding an apartment will be difficult if you can't go up to $750 to be honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 06:30 PM

177 posts, read 416,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
You seem really lazy. I'm sick of my tax $$ going to pay for people like you. I work hard to earn my living...and then my $$ should just go to you so you can do **** all your life?

No.

Next...

PS- I don't exactly consider "social anxiety" disabled. My boyfriend has SEVERE social anxiety and he works and guess what, he pays for his apartment by himself- the government doesn't give him a damn penny.

Pathetic.
You know, I try really hard to avoid confronting posts like this because when a person is able to reply this way to someone, is to have a certain nature. And there is nothing I can do about that, so why get into it?
But in this case I really want to say how wrong it is for you to say these things.
To be placed on disability at such a young age requires criteria you may be unaware of. What good really came from your post other then letting off your own steam, your own frustrations that likely have little or nothing to do with the OP's status. It's just a mean internet thing to do, a way to be rough n' tough without actually having to answer to anyone at all, and it isn't right.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:06 PM

4 posts, read 6,888 times
Default Schizoid Personality

Wow, what a bunch of nasty people on this board. Just because you are ignorant of what Schizoid Personality disorder is you are abusive to someone. It is not social anxiety disorder, it goes way beyond that. That is why working would be difficult until he can find his niche working where there aren't many people. NY has the highest rent in the country, I can't imagine being on disability there and yours must be very low considering your age and obviously you have had no chance to work yet. You might want to move somewhere with a lower cost of living and perhaps less people. Be careful to make sure they have social services, good mental health care and good health care in general first. Most people do not know the USDA has housing which there will also be a waiting list for. With your disability you could apply to the elderly and disabled housing which has shorter lists. Their apartments are quieter than section 8. But, of course they are in the rural areas, so there would be none in cities. There are also alternative ways of living such as vans or tiny houses on wheels. You can find that information on line. Good luck to you and I know you will do well.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:27 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Addressing the original question, I do not think a person with a schizoid personality disorder that has risen to the level of federal disablement (Social Security) will find a landlord who will rent to him/her. I mean that level of mental derangement is quite serious, and possibly dangerous.
Even given intervention with the Americans with Disabilities Act, and NY landlord will be able to claim a likely inability to make the rent payment. After all you cannot tell the state that you NEED Section 8 but still claim to the landlord that you can pay the rent.

I must admit to a certain distaste for generous Social Security payments going FOR A LIFETIME, to someone who thinks he is capable of living alone and going to college, but unable to EVER work, when others must slave until they are 67, sometimes "flipping burgers," before they can get a red cent of their hard earned money back from SS. Nobody WANTS to flip burgers.

I recommend that O/P take that Western county's generous offer of rental assistance and move there.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
You seem really lazy. I'm sick of my tax $$ going to pay for people like you. I work hard to earn my living...and then my $$ should just go to you so you can do **** all your life?

No.

Next...

PS- I don't exactly consider "social anxiety" disabled. My boyfriend has SEVERE social anxiety and he works and guess what, he pays for his apartment by himself- the government doesn't give him a damn penny.

Pathetic.
I have severe Asperger's syndrome a high functioning form of autism it comes with severe social anxiety I have been working steadily for 22 years now despite having it. All I have got to show for forcing myself to work was congestive heart failure that almost killed me in 2005. My social anxiety caused my extremely high blood pressure to spike dangerously high multiple times a day even while I am on my blood pressure meds. Because of my blood pressure going up and down so much it has done damage to my kidneys and enlarged my heart. My doctors want me to try to find a new job where I am not around so many people but that is easier said than done. If I continue doing things the way I have been doing them for the past 22 years I will end up crippled from a stroke do my social anxiety.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,379 times
Default wondering

I live in Texas. I want to move to New York so I can live near my son. I've been disabled from the age of 14 from a diving accident. I live off of ssi. I have my aunt who lives with me and would move there with me as well. Can we do it on a fixed income? Can someone help me find an apartment in New York?

Old 08-17-2012, 07:58 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
This thread just keeps getting better!

Old 01-09-2014, 03:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,778 times
I live in Nyc and I am currently on SSDI. I wish I could live with someone but I think I suffer from social anxiety..Does anybody have there on place by SSI or SSDI..only ?

Old 01-09-2014, 03:34 PM

2 posts, read 3,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyfreesia View Post
Can you go to a social worker at your local mental health clinic? That might be a person who can help with where to get an apartment, or how about NAMI?
I think finding an apartment will be difficult if you can't go up to $750 to be honest.

Thats what im looking for ..thats my max.. hopefully with gas and electric.. but i didnt think of going calling nami..

Old 01-09-2014, 09:38 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,832 times
We are doomed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: