Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 09:48 AM

1,696 posts, read 5,193,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubBR View Post
Do you agree that if you don't live in Manhattan, or very close proximity to it, then it's not worth living in New York City?

I was born and raised in Queens. I've worked in the Bronx. My family is scattered throughout NYC/ NJ.

And I've come to the conclusion that unless you live on the island of Manhattan or have very very easy access to it, NYC is not worth the hype!
100% accurate! All of the boroughs dont have the vibe that Manhattan does.

I was there Friday nite at a bar on 42nd st. Left at 11:00 to bring my cousin to SoHo, the streets were packed with happy people!!!
"MAN" I love that town!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2007, 12:58 AM

842 posts, read 4,309,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post
100% accurate! All of the boroughs dont have the vibe that Manhattan does.

I was there Friday nite at a bar on 42nd st. Left at 11:00 to bring my cousin to SoHo, the streets were packed with happy people!!!
"MAN" I love that town!!
Manhattan is the center of the world. It is the oldest urban place in the world. Everyone has stepped foot in Manhattan. It has so much history (by American standards). I think if you are between the age of 18-30, you need to live in Manhattan. There is so much to accomplish!

Old 07-28-2007, 01:22 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,800,049 times
Quote:
Manhattan is the center of the world. It is the oldest urban place in the world. Everyone has stepped foot in Manhattan. It has so much history (by American standards). I think if you are between the age of 18-30, you need to live in Manhattan. There is so much to accomplish!
Manhattan is the center of the world for people who suck off NYC. I also wouldn't call it the oldest urban place in the world.

Manhattan is good for 20 somethings who think life is a big party. Not aimed at you, just in general.

Old 07-28-2007, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Manhattan is the center of the world for people who suck off NYC. I also wouldn't call it the oldest urban place in the world.

Manhattan is good for 20 somethings who think life is a big party. Not aimed at you, just in general.
You know how Manhattan is so rich? So much money is generated on the island. Would'nt you consider it the top? The elite? If you can conquer that, you'd be at the top, amongst the elite. Nothing wrong with aiming high- highest.

Old 07-28-2007, 01:32 AM

Haha I guess its the youth in me. I'm at my prime, aggressive and determined to make it big. You know how it is

Old 07-28-2007, 01:46 AM

762 posts, read 1,750,713 times
Quote:
Manhattan is the center of the world.
Can't argue with that!
Quote:
I think if you are between the age of 18-30, you need to live in Manhattan. There is so much to accomplish!
Well, now, hold on there, Manhattan ain't just fer the young'ns!

I am by no means young anymore and I still have lots to accomplish - I will never stop pursuing new and different things, learning, growing, exploring, etc. I love living in Manhattan, and have loved being here for over twenty years. I do not, however, appreciate the young people who think they're the only ones who are hip and cool! Not saying that's you, but as I get older I see it in their eyes -- I am being discounted for my age and I wish they would just get over themselves. Still, there is so much of everything in Manhattan, I do love it here.

Old 07-28-2007, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
Can't argue with that! Well, now, hold on there, Manhattan ain't just fer the young'ns!

I am by no means young anymore and I still have lots to accomplish - I will never stop pursuing new and different things, learning, growing, exploring, etc. I love living in Manhattan, and have loved being here for over twenty years. I do not, however, appreciate the young people who think they're the only ones who are hip and cool! Not saying that's you, but as I get older I see it in their eyes -- I am being discounted for my age and I wish they would just get over themselves. Still, there is so much of everything in Manhattan, I do love it here.
But surely, you must understand the young persons mindstate, for you too were once a young person. Didn't you think you were the only ones who were hip and cool? Didn't you think old(er) people were boring? Of course this way of thinking is wrong, but for now, it is all we know.

Old 07-29-2007, 02:19 PM

762 posts, read 1,750,713 times
Quote:
But surely, you must understand the young persons mindstate, for you too were once a young person. Didn't you think you were the only ones who were hip and cool? Didn't you think old(er) people were boring? Of course this way of thinking is wrong, but for now, it is all we know.
Actually, no, I always made an effort to have friends who are all ages. When I was in my teens, twenties, even thirties, I was often the youngest in my circles of friends. Recently, I've made lots of friends who are much younger than me and they teach me things too. I love NYC because it is so diverse and that is what I found exciting from my very first days of living here - getting to know people of all ages, from all different countries, lifestyles, etc. If you only hang out in your age group, you limit yourself immensely.

Think about it, people who were 22 during the Summer of Love are 62 now. Next time you pass by someone in the street who looks to be in their 60's or older, don't you wonder what they were doing in the 60s and '70s? They could probably tell you stories that would blow your mind! I know I could and I'm only in my 40's! LOL

Old 07-30-2007, 09:24 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,634,669 times
NYC is a GREAT city. But I do find that Manhattan has become too "yuppy" in a way. Real New York is the Outer Boroughs.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:15 AM

31 posts, read 236,849 times
Unhappy I don't agree

There are really nice places in to live in NY , plus not everyone needs to go to Manhattan on a regular basis. For exp. My friend lives in Riverhead over looking the LI sound. It's a beautiful area. She ventures to Manhattan 2x a month for recreational purposes. (It's an hour and a half trip, which isn't that far for 2x a month)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City