Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 03:34 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,412,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspironmini View Post
As someone who is actually down in southwest Florida let me just say a few things:

Don't get me wrong, I am loving the weather down here (especially considering that the north is having a terrible winter), but you can surely bet that I'll be high-tailing it back up north come early May when the weather transitions from hot and relatively dry to extremely hot and jungle-like humidity for 6 months straight.

As far as Tampa goes: I don't know what part you will be living in but it certainly isn't all beaches and umbrella drinks. Much of Tampa is low income, run-down sprawl with INCREDIBLY high crime rates. The suburban sprawl and traffic resembles LA, and it usually takes much longer than you would think to travel even the shortest of distances.

On top of that, driving down here can range from dangerous to down-right treacherous due to a high number of cars on the road and terrible drivers (put it this way, there's a difference between an aggressive New York driver and an oblivious Florida driver).

I wish you the best, but judging from your post it seems as though you, like many us (me included), have a "grass is greener" mentality. Yeah, right now Florida seems awesome, but once you get back into the day-to-day grind you will think about all the things in NYC that you miss and long for greener pastures.

Good luck! Most of the people I grew up with down here could only dream of ever living in NYC.

thats how life is really. many people who grew up in places like nyc , L.A , or london etc usually grow up to move out while people living in less known towns or cities always dream in living in places as lively, and well recognized as nyc , L.A , london etc.

i know if someone is into fashion new york city has a ton of seats waiting for you.

i know plenty of people who live in Maryland who always tell me nyc has everything that could ever imagine. But im so used to new york city and like to experience a lot of things. So when i get older i want to move out myself only because i don't want my future big house to not be in nyc.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:39 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,412,690 times
btw i hope the people who could only ever dream of living in nyc never meet the poster tessie. Se will lie to them about how magnificent the city is and ruin their exploration of a great city. She will tell them that nyc is buried in ice caps in july. lol

Old 02-03-2011, 03:42 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,852,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesbarkley View Post
Dont let the white trash, rednecks with CCW's, haitian zoe gang, cuban drug lords, spanish speaking majority, traffic congestion due to no public transportation in any city, only one good sports team out of freaking SEVEN teams, monsoons, and hurricanes hit you on your way in.
I live in Florida and I am curious about which sports team you consider good. This is honest curiosity on my part. I like getting opinions from other points of view. The reason I am asking is because in the past decade we have had several teams make it to championship games and quite a few of those teams actually won the championship. Reading this just made me curious about which team you thought was good.

I am not going to touch the other items in your post because they are really funny. I was just curious about the sports thing.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:21 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
Just got a job in Sunny Florida, we're out.

Florida: No state or city income tax. New York: Both. Florida wins.
Florida: $0.25 tolls on a handful of roads. New York: $6-$11 tolls on many roads. Florida wins.
Florida: All day parking: $6. New York: $50. Florida wins.
Florida: Sunny and 80 today. New York: Buried in snow and ice. Florida wins.
Florida: Flat roads with visible lane markers. NY: Potholes the size of small cars and no lane markers to speak of. Florida wins.
Florida: Shall Issue CCW. NY: Requires a (very expensive) permit to simply acquire a gun of any kind, frequently denied for no justifiable reason. Florida wins.
Florida: Hot chicks in bikinis who flash for beads. New York: Hot chicks in so many layers you can't tell they're chicks. Florida wins.
Florida: Smoking legal outdoors. NY: Likes the Nanny-State. Florida wins.

Hell, that's enough. We're out. Attn Florida: Hide your wives and daughters, here we come!
Good for your man! I cant wait to say the samething on this board when I leave Kosherton. Sadly Most people on here dont care that you leave. For 1 NYer that leaves 2 transplants and 1 immigrant will gladly replace you and work for ten dollars an hour. Have fun in Florida just dont stay too much in the sun and watch out for religous Christian gooks. Theres millions of Nyers of Italian, Jewish and RIcans descent down there aswell.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:01 PM

425 posts, read 958,814 times
I'm considering moving to Tampa myself, but the whole Palmetto bug thing is kinda a bit much....

Old 02-03-2011, 06:27 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Good luck. Just remember nothing is perfect...

Old 02-03-2011, 07:37 PM

961 posts, read 2,464,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
Wow, the venom. I got an IT related job which, while it pays less in absolute dollars than it would command here, nonetheless will allow me to live better than the higher salary would here, and living conditions, not raw dollars are the real measure. The median age in Florida is only 3 years higher than NY. I see an awful lot of untrue stereotypes floating around.

My first post was somewhat tongue in cheek, we love NY. But the amount of money required to live a normal middle class lifestyle is exorbitant, and the time it takes to get from point-A to point-B makes for unhealthy life balance. But we'll be back from time to time, we're leaving behind many good friends and many good times.
lived in Florida for over a decade, Orlando, Tallahassee and Miami in all three regions. Those stereotypes though somewhat exaggerated aren't completely untrue. The reason why Florida is cheap is the reason why its economy is in the crapper, glut of housing from an oversaturated market, further more the houses are built on swamps and drained lakes anyway. Keep Florida, judging by your post you'd do good there, I'm sure NY will be crushed by your absence.

P.S. starting in mid-April learn to take frequent showers daily for the following 6-7 months and a few more times in Nov-Dec. That sun is no joke.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:46 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,500,385 times
OP, I hope Florida is wonderful for you...I am planning on moving to CA in the next year or so, and I am looking forward to it.

I also live on SI, and can relate to a lot of what you said regarding the commute, and the weather.

And WOW reading through some of these posts, should make you even happier about your decision.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:58 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,712,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
And WOW reading through some of these posts, should make you even happier about your decision.
Come on, this is all fun and games. No one really gives a sht.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:00 PM

961 posts, read 2,464,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Come on, this is all fun and games. No one really gives a sht.
I second that notion, once I log out, who cares
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City