Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 04:24 PM

22 posts, read 48,374 times

Advertisements

I am from Kansas City and found a job in NYC after finishing my MAcc (Master's in Accounting) and passing the CPA exams. The job is in Midtown. It pays 62K per year plus benefits to start. Should I live with a roommate on this salary? I have one month to secure a place and am stressing out. I like going out a lot and spending money on clothes and partying in my off hours. Maybe the roommate scenario would be better because I'd have a lot more disposable income? I'm not crazy about living with someone else but maybe that is better than not having any spending money? What do you think would make the most sense for someone in my situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 05:00 PM

769 posts, read 2,050,404 times
How do you think you will find a roommate you trust enough to live with from Kansas City? I think what makes sense is for you to adjust your lifestyle for now. Maybe after you've been here a year you'll know enough people and can find a roommate. With that salary the most you can pay in rent is $1550 based on the 40x rule. That means you can go to one of the boroughs or live in specific areas of Manhattan only.

What is important to you in an apartment- do you want a bedroom or is a studio okay or more importantly how many square feet do you think you need? Do you require an elevator? How far will you walk to the subway? Do you need a full kitchen? Are you male or female and what type of neighborhood would you be comfortable in?

Keep in mind that buying clothes and going out a lot will cost you more here than in Kansas City.

You need to come to NYC to find an apartment- do not think you will do this online. You need good credit and first month's rent, 1 month security deposit, and maybe last month's rent depending on the landlord. If there is a broker involved you might have to pay another 1-2 months rent.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:07 PM

468 posts, read 1,337,916 times
Be careful who you choose as your roommate.

You might come home from work one day and find an empty apartment.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:42 PM

11 posts, read 23,465 times
I think a roommate is a great idea. I had really good luck in the past at Craigslist except the roommate situation in New York, is that you really have to be here in person but a lot of the times you're able to talk to the potential roomie on the phone, so you can work out things like cleanliness and social habits. The good thing about the craigslist postings is that you have the choice of moving into an apartment with an existing lease -- you don't have to worry about all the paperwork! The issue with these situations is that there is sometimes a meet and greet open house situation set up so the existing roommate(s) have an idea of what personalities and characters work for them and select the person they feel most comfortable with. (I remember attending a bunch of these "open houses" to meet and greet the potential roommates -- this was hard because you're NOT the only one at these events.)

There are a lot of people out there whose roommates had to move out last minute or the situation isn't working and there are people on there who post, looking for a roommate who is willing to join in on an apartment search with them. This helps out especially if the potential roommate is already living in NYC so they can look at the place. The bad part though, is the money situation. I wouldn't wire any money until you are there in person at the broker or management office, putting money down for the apartment.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:51 PM

2 posts, read 4,459 times
Check out Queens and Brooklyn, until you're more secure financially. You'll have to take the subway a few stops to midtown from either Borough. The parts of Queens close enough to the city, with cheap enough rent are Queens - Jackson Heights (large Asian/Hispanic population) and Long Island City (very mixed demographics). In Brooklyn, most Manhattanites will steer you as close to the Brooklyn Bridge as possible, but the rent isn't cheap. So Try Williamsburg (Jewish/Hispanic) and the new gentrified are of Fort Greene/Clinton Hill. Either Borough will probably entail taking a bus to the train, so if you can find an apt near a subway, you'll save an extra wait (most connections from bus to train should be covered by a "transfer" which allows you to switch modes without paying extra).

The commute will be about a half hour, so it'll take some getting used to. If you must insist on living in NYC (Manhattan) then you'll need to roommate. Check the colleges to see who needs co-renters.

Good luck with the job and the apt.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:27 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
$60k in Manhattan alone is going to be tough- but with a roomate, definitely do-able with money left over to save & play. $60k alone is def enough for another borough. Just depends on where you want to live.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:16 PM

91 posts, read 311,861 times
I would not recommned it right now. With the added stress of moving, starting a new job, and acclimating to a new city, you might be adding the stress of a roommate to everything else. There is always a chance you will find someone great to room with, but as someone previously mentioned it's better to be here for a while and then look for a roommate.

You can still find something decent for $1550 a month. It might not be anything big, but for now it's probably a better idea. Just remember- there is more to Manhattan than areas below 42nd street. Many people I know move to the 140's - 180's and have found some great places, and subways can get you anywhere you need to be in a very timely fashion.

Good Luck!

Old 02-05-2011, 09:47 PM

541 posts, read 1,902,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbound1 View Post
i am from kansas city and found a job in nyc after finishing my macc (master's in accounting) and passing the cpa exams. The job is in midtown. It pays 62k per year plus benefits to start. Should i live with a roommate on this salary? I have one month to secure a place and am stressing out. I like going out a lot and spending money on clothes and partying in my off hours. Maybe the roommate scenario would be better because i'd have a lot more disposable income? I'm not crazy about living with someone else but maybe that is better than not having any spending money? What do you think would make the most sense for someone in my situation?
ey?

Old 02-05-2011, 11:11 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,589,334 times
Maybe live by yourself and then when you feel a vibe of wanting extra disposable income, look for a temporary roommate. Meaning a person who is in NYC for a set/finite amount of time with a clear goal, e.g., a European getting a graduate degree and who has his/her calendar marked to when he/she is returning home to Europe. Just an example.

Personally I'm not into commitments that tie me down.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:18 AM

68 posts, read 197,843 times
I think your best bet would be to maybe find something in Queens (Astoria is a quick commute to midtown on the subway, or some place like Forest Hills).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City