Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 09:04 AM

12 posts, read 25,750 times

Advertisements

In this topic, we'll talk about things we have learned, from living in ny

1. Always go to the front/back of a Train. Generally, these sections have the smallest amount of people. For some reason, most people like going to the middle section of a train, and these are usually the most crowded. Going to the front/back has always helped me, even during rush hour

2. Packed bus? Wait for the next one. Unless you are late, it's not worth it, going to a bus that is packed. It's ridiculous. If I see that a bus is packed, I wait for the next one(Which generally has smaller people). Common sense, but still...

3. Teenage kids on train? Move to the next section, at the next stop. Why sit in a section of a train, that is crowded with teens(who could most likely call you out, since they are in groups)

4. When you get off a bus/train that is crowded? Wait for people to move. PEople like to stick in crowds for some reason, instead of staying bacl. What I would do is wait until everyone moves, and then i'll get out. Thats just me though

5. If people generally crowd around a specific bus stop, go to the one before it. When I would come out of school, there was a bus stop, where the majority of kids went. Thus, it would be crowded, people would push/shove, etc. What I did? I walked to the busstop before it. It was far less crowded, and I was able to get a seat.

More to come. in the mean time, post your stuff, that you've learned.

Last edited by destroyer860; 03-03-2011 at 09:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 09:34 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
If you see a train pulling into the station that has mainly full cars and there is only one car that is significantly less crowded than the other, do NOT get in that car. The fact that it is so much less crowded means there is something wrong in there and people have fled from it into the other cars. Usually it's something gross and smelly or it could be no air conditioning in the summer.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:29 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,251,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
If you see a train pulling into the station that has mainly full cars and there is only one car that is significantly less crowded than the other, do NOT get in that car. The fact that it is so much less crowded means there is something wrong in there and people have fled from it into the other cars. Usually it's something gross and smelly or it could be no air conditioning in the summer.
I agree.

Often someone has puked.

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 03-03-2011 at 11:22 AM..

Old 03-07-2011, 10:20 AM

1,786 posts, read 3,461,722 times
I know this seems pretty obvious but .... Always stay to YOUR right on stairs both going into and out of a subway station. On escalators at stations, if you simply want to ride on it, stay once again on your right. The left side will be used by people who are going to pass you. Don't get in their way. It will be appreciated.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:08 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,443,209 times
You walk alot here and after beening here my leg's are getting like iron and i learned how to get a taxi and i starting to learn some of the subway trick's you guy's are talking about ..

Old 03-07-2011, 11:22 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
I find it ridiculous how many people don’t know to touch the yellow strip to open the back door of a bus.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:40 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,443,209 times
Also here is some more thing's i have learned after beening here a while

1-Do not Dress like a country bumpkin that has come to the big city for a vist ..

That day i pull some cloth's out of one box and was walking around the area i lived in to get a feel of the area and i had dress in my brown color work barn jacket on and a local Utah feed store ballcap where we trade at for supplie's there and my jeans and collared work shirt with workboot's on and i keep getting asked i'm going home to feed the cow's that day a few time's when i was walking around there

2- have your order ready when you get to the counter there when ordering food ..

I do that allready when i'm waiting in line i look at the food board that the place has and figure out what i want to order ..But i notice that some people wait intill they are at the counter to order there item's from the food board that the place has

3-coffee or tea drink order's at the local area coffee house -- me i'm a tea drinker not really a coffee drinker so i'm ready with the order when i get to the counter to put in my order for the local brew house..but i see people who order some of the most stupid combo's of coffee i have had the pleasure of hearing them order it and have the person behind the counter look at them like your sir or lady are a perfect reason why people think of NYC as the place to come and be stupid in

4-When traveling on the subway or the street .. I put the slingbag with my ipad in front of me to protect it and when i'm walking or rideing the subway and winter time it goes under the jacket also to keep it safe as i can

Also when i travel up on the subway with my hikeing pack to the one place i go for food shopping at i try and go early in the morning or after the rush hour to have to feel like i'm beening pushed in by a crowd's of people

or when out with the smaller day pack i try to keep it in my control as much as i can for shopping for items and takeing them back to the apt ..

5-Money for tipping people i notice that people here are stange about tipping when haveing things delivered to the apt..i try to tip about 5 buck's for the heavy items like the soda delivering i had the other day ..the pizza guy is about 3 dollars up to $20.oo dollar's and over that is about $5.00 dollar's for the order and it the same for the place's i eat at around the area ..

But i have notice that some of the people who delivered the food seam to get a mad that you are not giveing them a great tip for there service ..To me i have this saying about tipping you could have a boss who say's they have a no tipping policy and you do not have to tip the delivery person ..So anything you get you should be thankfull for

6-subway pass for the month is the one of the best thing's you can buy up there

Old 03-07-2011, 12:16 PM

468 posts, read 1,338,414 times
Some people will go out of their way to pay inflated rents just so they can call themselves urban.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:14 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,484 times
Here's the same tip I gave in another thread: LEARN HOW TO READ!!! People will help you if you're confused at the subway map. But no one will answer if you ask "hayyy is this the D train??" No sympathy there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
I find it ridiculous how many people don’t know to touch the yellow strip to open the back door of a bus.
Those doors are too heavy for me, sometimes it takes a few pushes. That's what I get for being 100lb.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:40 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
Those doors are too heavy for me, sometimes it takes a few pushes. That's what I get for being 100lb.
The doors open automatically and stay open if you touch the yellow strip. They are very heavy and difficult to open if you don’t touch the strip. Most people struggle with the doors unnecessarily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: