Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 01:21 PM

954 posts, read 939,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
So you're saying that advertising a unit as "net effective" is deceptive? HOW would a prospective tenant find out what's the real/legal rent being that they don't have access to rent rolls?

I don't follow what your saying. If a tenant doesn't have access to the rent roll to see the true rent ('lay listing don't state it), wouldn't that be deceptive?

Like this listing for a 1 bed at 388 bridge street:
384 Bridge Street #18C in Downtown Brooklyn, Brooklyn | StreetEasy

It's 2820 but that the "net effective" rate after two months free for the first year. Meaning that your rent VIP will be for a different much higher amount. After the first year with those free months, the rent bill will be at that higher mount indefinitely. You will never write a check for 2820.

You don't think that's deceptive for non savvy renters?

Most NYC landlords are scumbags.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 08:18 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,007,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post
I don't follow what your saying. If a tenant doesn't have access to the rent roll to see the true rent ('lay listing don't state it), wouldn't that be deceptive?

Like this listing for a 1 bed at 388 bridge street:
384 Bridge Street #18C in Downtown Brooklyn, Brooklyn | StreetEasy

It's 2820 but that the "net effective" rate after two months free for the first year. Meaning that your rent VIP will be for a different much higher amount. After the first year with those free months, the rent bill will be at that higher mount indefinitely. You will never write a check for 2820.

You don't think that's deceptive for non savvy renters?

Most NYC landlords are scumbags.
I agree it's deceptive but how would I know the true legal rent from the get-go?

Sorry for the confusion.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:35 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
20% vacancy allowance for rent stabilized apt.

Old 01-28-2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
I agree it's deceptive but how would I know the true legal rent from the get-go?

Sorry for the confusion.
Oh I see what you're saying.

you take the "fake rent" and times it by the "free" months they are offering.

You take that number divide it by 12 and add that on to the main rent.

For example, the net effective "fake" rent is 2800 with 2 months free, you do 2800 x 2 = 5600.

Divide that by 12 which is 466.66. Add that to the "fake rent" the real rent is 3266.66.

Hope that helps. You have to be a friggin mathematician to rent an apartment in NY.

Old 01-28-2017, 10:48 PM

931 posts, read 801,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Room-In-New-York View Post
I think you may be on to something, Henna.

I just went through the contract again and notice there is a 'Rent Stabilization Lease Rider' attached. It states "This Rider, with this Notice, must be attached to all vacancy and renewal leases for rent stabilized apartments.'

They would surely not have attached this to the main contract unless required to do so. But I'm surprised, since the building is very new.

Wondering if it IS indeed rent-stabilized and they opted for that designation because it gave them some tax advantage or something when constructing?...
Just because its a new building doesn't mean its not RS. The building may of had some type of tax abatement which is turn forces the LL to make the building RS. Which explains the RS rider and the whole RS preferential rent/legal rent. Either way, even if it is RS, you were paying a discounted preferential rent (lower than what the LL is legally able to charge). So the new rent increase is legal indeed because it falls within the legal regulated rent.

Old 01-28-2017, 10:54 PM

931 posts, read 801,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post

After the tenants move out in horror, the landlord gets a 20% vacancy increase. It pays to have people moving in and out! So get them in with a low rent and insure (pretty much) that they stay only a year. What a racket!
The REAL racket is the whole Rent Stabilization system. Now thats a REAl racket all politically motivated to keep the Dems in power by pandering to that RS voter block.

Old 01-28-2017, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allpro123 View Post
The REAL racket is the whole Rent Stabilization system. Now thats a REAl racket all politically motivated to keep the Dems in power by pandering to that RS voter block.
Geez do you guys for any and every opportunity make things political?

Yes, everything bad is the dems fault and trump will fix the world, happy?

Old 01-29-2017, 06:34 AM

1,510 posts, read 1,007,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post
Oh I see what you're saying.

you take the "fake rent" and times it by the "free" months they are offering.

You take that number divide it by 12 and add that on to the main rent.

For example, the net effective "fake" rent is 2800 with 2 months free, you do 2800 x 2 = 5600.

Divide that by 12 which is 466.66. Add that to the "fake rent" the real rent is 3266.66.

Hope that helps. You have to be a friggin mathematician to rent an apartment in NY.
Thanks.

Old 01-29-2017, 07:21 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
OP,
Write to DHCR and find out what the REAL stabilized rent maximum is (yes, your apartment is rent stabilized.) It may be HALF of what you are being charged.
Don't take a landlord's word for this: he is probably lying, lying is in their genes.

Old 02-01-2017, 10:47 AM

4 posts, read 5,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Room-In-New-York View Post
Hi all and greetings from Astoria, Queens!

Our landlord has given us notice he'll be increasing rent by 12% come the end of July. Is that legal?

A few facts:

- the building is only about 2-3 years old (so I assume it cannot be rent-stabilized?)
- current rent $2,050, new proposed rent: $2,300 (12% increase).
- our current rent of $2,050 was a preferential rent. The legal rent (according to our contract) which they could have charged, but didn't was always actually $2,500. (Even this has increased recently too and is now apparently $2,800)

Do we have to grin and bear it ...

or is this proposed increase illegal in any way?
From what you are describing, yes, your apartment is rent stabilized. New buildings can be rent stabilized under 421-a.
I was in the same position as you last year, looked into it, and found out that my lease was written incorrectly. The first lease I signed did not differentiate between preferential rent and legal rent, so even though my 4 consecutive leases did make the distinction, the rent stated on my first lease became the legal rent. I ended up getting my rent lowered by about $200 and got a nice check in what they were overcharging me for a few years.

The increase this year is 0% and the increase last year was 0%.
You should review the DHCR fact sheets - Fact Sheets
and you should request your apartment rent history.

If you find out that the rent increase your landlord is proposing is illegal, my best advice would be to make sure you know your facts very well. It makes the confrontation with your landlord go much smoother.
Also something to note is that your landlord needs to give you 90 days notice before a rent increase. And if he gives it to you late, the increase does not have to go into effect until 90 days after you received the notice.

Hope this helps. I know a lot on this topic, so feel free to ask any follow up questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City