Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2011, 07:20 AM

3 posts, read 14,204 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Manhattan, UES. My parents are paying for my $1500 studio while I go to school. One year left, I'm looking into less expensive areas such as Sunnyside, Woodside, Astoria, or Jackson Heights in Queens. I've heard there are Dominican, Bangladeshi, Korean, Chinese, Indian, and other specific neighborhoods. Where are these neighborhoods? I certainly wouldn't want to place myself somewhere that there would be abrasiveness or opposition. I'm Korean but don't speak it and don't really know the culture, as I'm adopted so I'm looking for the most diverse area, that isn't in or too close to an industrial section. I'm favoring Woodside because it's LIRR station and I often go home to my parents' further out on LI. Of course "safety" is a factor as well. I'd like to stay close to Manhattan because I work and go to school on the UES, and I would like to ride my bike there often rather than take the subway or bus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 08:50 AM

5 posts, read 16,161 times
Jackson Heights (where I live) is supposedly the most diverse neighborhood in the country. The historic district is very nice. I think all of the ethnicities are very mixed, so I don't think there are specific ethnic divisions per se (except for the Indian stores that line the main drag in JH). My apartment floor has Korean, Irish, Polish, Indian, and "American" people.

I like all the neighborhoods you named. Sunnyside is great, but has limited train lines, as does Astoria, but if you are riding your bike, Sunnyside is the closest to Manhattan. All are safe, although they weren't in the 1980s, and some people still think of the neighborhoods that way.

Good luck making your choice!

Old 04-06-2011, 09:07 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,589,334 times
hey pd in my opinion you'll encounter zero or nearly zero abrasiveness or opposition in any of those neighbors you named, especially jackson heights. good luck

Old 04-06-2011, 10:15 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
ethnic neighborhoods in sunnyside, woodside, jackson heights, astoria

Sunnyside, Woodside, Jackson Heights, and Astoria.

Next question?

Old 04-06-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
ethnic neighborhoods in sunnyside, woodside, jackson heights, astoria

Sunnyside, Woodside, Jackson Heights, and Astoria.

Next question?
I'm looking for like "between so and so street and so and so ave is mostly ____ (ethnic group). Along so and so ave is all ____ businesses and restaurants..." I already know they are IN these Queens neighborhoods, my question was evoking where within the said neighborhoods are the ethnic neighborhoods?

Old 04-06-2011, 05:18 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
I don't understand if you are trying to find specific ethnicities because you think it might be cheaper?

In Jackson Heights the Indians/Pakistanis/Bengalis are nearby 73rd-75th Streets between Roosevelt and 37th Ave. The South Americans (Colombians, Peruvians, Ecuadorians, etc) are concentrated more near 82nd St. between Roosevelt and 37th Ave. and several blocks in each direction from there. When you go up further into Corona, the area is more Mexican. But really everything is quite mixed. If you are Bengali on a street with Colombian-oriented businesses, or a Korean shopping at the Polish deli, no one is going to look at you funny.

You might save a few hundred dollars a month by getting an apartment in one of the areas you mentioned, but in order to really save money and get something for, say, $1000, you are going to have to look really hard. Or else move into the less real-estate-desirable areas in Corona and Elmhurst (where the studio is still going to cost $1000 but might be easier to find).

I think people have this idea that if they move into an ethnic enclave that suddenly their rent will be very low. This is not necessarily the case. Jackson Heights, Sunnyside and Woodside are nice places to live and the rents are not dirt cheap just because many of the residents are foreign-born.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:25 PM

No I wasn't thinking about it in terms of lower rent, just more like possibly feeling out of place.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:49 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdrobber View Post
No I wasn't thinking about it in terms of lower rent, just more like possibly feeling out of place.
ok, sorry I misunderstood. These areas are so diverse that it is hard to feel out of place.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:34 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,231,117 times
What others have said.

A quick run down, though:

Astoria is more Greek than anything else, more so the further north in the neighborhood you go. It also has a significant Egyptian community along Steinway St between 28th Ave and Astoria Blvd. There are more Hispanics (of various backgrounds, no one predominating) closer to the waterfront and to the south, near Dutch Kills.

Sunnyside is mostly Hispanic with some residual Italian population, fading to South Asian (Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi) as you move into Woodside, which is a mix of South Asians and Hispanics. There are also substantial numbers of other Asian groups (Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, Filipino) in this area, although South Asians are the largest group.

Jackson Heights is very heavily South Asian right around the epicenter at the intersection of Roosevelt Ave and Broadway, becoming more Hispanic (especially Dominican) further east and northeast towards Corona and more white (especially Italian) further south towards Maspeth.

Astoria is sort of different and separate, but the others all bleed together a little bit.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:11 AM

43,619 posts, read 44,346,965 times
I think you might find many Koreans in Flushing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: