Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 05:08 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grigou View Post
But see, that's where you're wrong. Nobody is coming here and saying "Bushwick is the new UWS. Come all and rejoice in the new safest, cleanest and most affluent neighborhood new york has to offer!" People are, I think, more realistic about the neighborhood than you give them credit for. Some people like Bushwick for what it has to offer and don't obssess about precinct coverage and crime stats. What's wrong with that? And why do these people need to be schooled on the "reality" of the neighborhood, when they are living their own reality and just enjoying their life.
[quote=ABklynDude;18809291]Next Williamsburg: Bushwick, Brooklyn | Crain's New York Business

New York’s Next Neighborhoods - Robertaville -- New York Magazine

The media is certaintly touting Bushwick as the next "something else."

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABklynDude View Post
I apologize then, I see how grigou mentions race although we havent talked about counting any ethnicity coming out of train stations, but as for crime I really havent felt threatened. Going by what you say here are a few links on the crime stats

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...s/cs083pct.pdf
http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...s/cs063pct.pdf
http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...s/cs090pct.pdf
http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...s/cs061pct.pdf
http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...s/cs075pct.pdf
http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...s/cs067pct.pdf

I threw in a mix of a few nice neighborhoods and crazy ones. Looking at Bushwick 83pct comapred to the other precincts, I would say it ranks closer to the decent areas crime wise. Seeing how Grand Larceny is lower in Bushwick than for the other supposedly more tame precincts(63 marine park, 90 williamsburg, 61 sheepshead) maybe those nicer precincts are downgrading their crimes? Lol but on a more serious note, looking at an overall picture, Bushwick's numbers arent too far off from the other middle class neighborhoods. Comparing Bushwick to the crazy precincts (67 East flatbush, 75 East NY, 73 Brownsville) Bushwick is quite tame. Bushwick dosent even have a murder yet.
As for the grand larceny....I dont think you're going to see high incidents of grand larceny in a low income neighborhood like bushwick....what is there to steal of value? it makes sense that the grand larceny numbers are higher in middle class neighborhoods where people have nicer things to steal.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:21 PM

71 posts, read 224,805 times
Yes grand larceny in Bushwick is lower, but its burglaries are higher so your statement of Bushwick residents not having nicer things would be false. Since burglaries are higher, it would also mean more people must be out working since their not home when the place is being burglarized. As I said before, the NYPD compstat numbers show that this isn't the crazy neighborhood it used to be. The reason why so many of these new Bushwick residents are from out of state is because their going in there with an open mind compared many NYers who still hold on to old past perceptions. Plus why do some of you take bad media coverage of Bushwick as fact, but positive coverage as false?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
As for the grand larceny....I dont think you're going to see high incidents of grand larceny in a low income neighborhood like bushwick....what is there to steal of value? it makes sense that the grand larceny numbers are higher in middle class neighborhoods where people have nicer things to steal.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:35 PM

Yes there was a double murder, but that was in the confines of the 81pct which is Bed-stuy. Their compstat shows the change for the week to date. Same can be said for Sheepshead bay which also had a double murder. I dont understand why there is so much bias against Bushwick...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkvillian718 View Post
I have no idea what bushwick you guys are talking about? I was just over bushwick two days ago. lol. that place is still trash. i think there was a double murder that was gang involed like a week ago.
You people sure you live in NY? or brooklyn for that matter. hahaha!

Old 04-21-2011, 08:05 PM

383 posts, read 1,316,135 times
Quote:
Yes there was a double murder, but that was in the confines of the 81pct which is Bed-stuy. Their compstat shows the change for the week to date. Same can be said for Sheepshead bay which also had a double murder. I dont understand why there is so much bias against Bushwick...
nah, i've got nothin against bushwick. when i use to be in a gang and sell drugs bushwick was a major area where i'd do that at, and this is just like three years ago when i was still in high school. So when people are sayin "Oh bushwick is mad safe now". Come now, i mean its no ENY, or South BX, but its still a pretty bad area, and still has many social problems. so lets be real people when your talking about certin areas.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Yes grand larceny in Bushwick is lower, but its burglaries are higher so your statement of Bushwick residents not having nicer things would be false. Since burglaries are higher, it would also mean more people must be out working since their not home when the place is being burglarized. As I said before, the NYPD compstat numbers show that this isn't the crazy neighborhood it used to be. The reason why so many of these new Bushwick residents are from out of state is because their going in there with an open mind compared many NYers who still hold on to old past perceptions. Plus why do some of you take bad media coverage of Bushwick as fact, but positive coverage as false?
its a low income neighborhood....those burglary statistics are most likely coming from desparate crackheads breaking in people's apartments and making off with a microwave or something, not the sony bravia.

look man i dont even know if you're a native new yorker or not....im assuming you're not. but bushwick is a crappy part of town and it will be for at least another 20 years. i swear the corner of myrtle and broadway has a permanent smell of fried chicken....and cheap fried chicken at that, like they kept re-using the same oil. matter of fact i posted a thread a few months ago asking everybody where was the last place they felt unsafe in the city and for me it was bushwick. wilson ave and covert street on a saturday evening 7 PM. blood city past halsey street. rough part of town. and i dont intimidate easily. ive seen it all.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:01 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Since burglaries are higher, it would also mean more people must be out working since their not home when the place is being burglarized.
Haha, this is a ridiculous assumption. How could you possibly draw the conclusion that if people are not in their apartment they MUST be at work!

Haven't you ever heard of people going shopping, going to dr's appointments, going to their public assistance/welfare benefits appointment, going out of town, visiting friends, going to school, going on a date, going out to eat, taking a walk, going out to buy drugs, ETC!

Old 04-22-2011, 07:26 AM

Oh well our personal opinions on Bushwick isnt going to change anytime soon I see, but it was nice having the exchange of opinions on it. Hopefully the media coverage and links I provided was informative to some as to the slow changes going on in reviving this neighborhood and others like it. Gotta get past the dirt to get the Diamond I guess. This City has shed most of its seedy past, and maybe one day all the former "crap" neighborhoods can also. Even Park Slope was a dump once.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:15 AM

556 posts, read 1,446,094 times
Quote:
Where does your family live around? Jogging around Bushwick, I have jogged down to the Jackie Robinson Pkwy, and up around back up through Wyckoff ave and Central ave. I do notice that down by Chauncy the neighborhood starts to look more dangerous, but I think by then, I'm leaving the confines of Bushwick. I notice many people going to work in the mornings and going home after work, so unless your all the way out there, I see most of Bushwick is changing for the better.
Bushwick and Grove. I do not know where hipster Bushwick is...

Old 04-22-2011, 08:50 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,414 times
Quote:
Oh well our personal opinions on Bushwick isnt going to change anytime soon I see, but it was nice having the exchange of opinions on it. Hopefully the media coverage and links I provided was informative to some as to the slow changes going on in reviving this neighborhood and others like it. Gotta get past the dirt to get the Diamond I guess. This City has shed most of its seedy past, and maybe one day all the former "crap" neighborhoods can also. Even Park Slope was a dump once.
It's one thing to say that NYC is not as crazy as it was in 70s-90s, that's correct. However, to suggest that NYC doesn't have sketchy or just flat out hood spots anymore is inaccurate. There's still seediness going on in Bushwick, South BX, Harlem, ENY etc. It's just not in your face anymore. And to think every ghetto in NYC is gonna transform itself is naive and unrealistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City