Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2011, 12:12 PM

8 posts, read 17,094 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I'm considering purchasing a place in Staten Island and I was wondering what the commute is like if you don't live near the ferry? I'm not sure on the areas yet since I'm not familiar with S.I. but Queens is too pricey for me. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 10:50 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,128,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella81 View Post
Hi everyone. I'm considering purchasing a place in Staten Island and I was wondering what the commute is like if you don't live near the ferry? I'm not sure on the areas yet since I'm not familiar with S.I. but Queens is too pricey for me. Thanks in advance!
Good question. I've lived on Staten Island for about 5 years and am well-versed in transportation around here.

There are 2 options that people use to get to Manhattan

1) Taking the SIR (Staten Island Railway) or a local bus to St. George, and then taking the ferry to Manhattan.

You'll get a free transfer between the SIR or local bus and the subway/local buses in Manhattan (and the fare is the regular $2.25)

2) Taking an express bus into Manhattan for $5.50 (or $50 for a weekly pass)

This is the more popular option for people living further south. The incomes there are generally higher, so they can afford to spend more on transportation. In addition, the local buses are more spread out and infrequent, so they are less attractive.

There is also a third option, but I would only recommend it if you live near one of these bus lines (I wouldn't recommend trying to transfer from another bus line).

Some people take the S53, S79, or S93 buses to the 86th Street/4th Avenue subway station, and then take the R train to get to Manhattan (you can transfer to the D or N trains for a faster ride at 36th Street)

I live near Richmond Avenue and the Staten Island Expressway. When considering a short walk and marginal waiting time, my travel times to Lower Manhattan are as follows:

X17 bus: 40 minutes
S62/S92 bus to St. George and then ferry to Whitehall Street: 70 minutes
S93 to Brooklyn and then subway to Manhattan: 75 minutes

If you are going to live near the SIR, the train is generally faster, so even if you live further away than I do, your trip times might be shorter than mine. There is also express service during rush hour.

What areas are you looking to move to, so I can help you get a better idea of the commute?

Old 05-06-2011, 08:39 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
I did it for many years. Only one word comes to mind

NIGHTMARE

Old 05-06-2011, 08:44 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,498,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella81 View Post

Your best bet would be the express bus. I have been taking it for years. The ferry is always an option but it's exhausting unless you work right near the ferry and aren't far from the ferry on SI. It can easily take an hour and a half both ways and you are constantly getting on/off different methods of transportation and it's annoying. I used to do it. I had to take a 40 minute bus ride to the ferry, then wait for the ferry, the ferry ride was about half an hour and then take another train once in Manhattan. By the time I got to work, I just wanted to go home.

At least with the bus, you just get on and off one bus. And the people are generally nicer, when you take local buses/ferry, you are dealing with all sorts of characters.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:35 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,249,539 times
Don't know anything about "STEITEN island, and don't wanna know. Sorry.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:22 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,249,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
Don't know anything about "STEITEN island, and don't wanna know. Sorry.
Thank's for the reps anyhow. Feel free to DM me about showing me about STEJTEN ISLANDS, good and bad parts, and then I'm buying for us both CHICKEN WINGS AND FRENCH FRIES. OK?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: