Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2011, 05:39 PM

1 posts, read 5,145 times

Advertisements

Can anyone throw some light on good( safe/clean) apartments around harlem hospital.I'm going to start my fellowship at Harlem Hospital.I would have to be on call at nights.So commute is not an option.My husband will be working in midtown manhattan.We are looking at 1 or 2 bedroom apartments.Willing to spend between 1500-2600 per month.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 01:36 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastman_007 View Post
Can anyone throw some light on good( safe/clean) apartments around harlem hospital.I'm going to start my fellowship at Harlem Hospital.I would have to be on call at nights.So commute is not an option.My husband will be working in midtown manhattan.We are looking at 1 or 2 bedroom apartments.Willing to spend between 1500-2600 per month.
I can't comment on the area but you should go for a walk on a Friday or Saturday night to get a feel of the area. Or ask fellow staff members on their opinion of the area. A Harlem City Data rep will give his/her opinion. Why not live in morningside heights and take a cab to the hospital?

Old 05-18-2011, 01:37 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,249,539 times
I think you should be more worried about Harlem Hospital, than the area. An old lady said it's worse than Lincoln.

Old 05-18-2011, 04:45 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,249,539 times
Attached Thumbnails
Good Places to live around harlem hospital-harlemhospitalsign6d591c0c-adbc-4a6d-bde0-737a4c8a52a0.jpg  

Old 05-18-2011, 09:22 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
Try the Lenox Terrace Apartments which are across the street from Harlem Hospital. Well-kept, elevator, doorman buildings with middle class tenants. I'd guess 1 bds there are around $1500 a month but that's just a guess.

You can also try the Riverton apartments, which are around 135th St and Fifth Ave. They are the Harlem equivalent of Stuyvestant Town and Peter Cooper downtown, with similar architecture, layouts, etc. (The original owner, Met Life, built them because there was such a big outcry when Met Life wouldn't let black renters into Stuy Town or Peter Cooper back in the day). I know the building had some financial problems a while back. I vaguely recall that it was sold at a ridiculously high price during the housing boom with the thought that rents would skyrocket. But then the bubble burst and they had mortgage issues--just like Stuyvestant Town and Peter Cooper. All these apartments were built as middle-class housing and the new owners all tried to make basically middle class city apartments into "luxury hosuing" what ever that putrid phrase means. But I think Riverton has come through its problems. Price there are also, I believe, similar to Lenox Terrace--but no doormen.

Last edited by citylove101; 05-18-2011 at 09:42 AM..

Old 05-19-2011, 04:28 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,859,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Try the Lenox Terrace Apartments which are across the street from Harlem Hospital. Well-kept, elevator, doorman buildings with middle class tenants. I'd guess 1 bds there are around $1500 a month but that's just a guess.

You can also try the Riverton apartments, which are around 135th St and Fifth Ave. They are the Harlem equivalent of Stuyvestant Town and Peter Cooper downtown, with similar architecture, layouts, etc. (The original owner, Met Life, built them because there was such a big outcry when Met Life wouldn't let black renters into Stuy Town or Peter Cooper back in the day). I know the building had some financial problems a while back. I vaguely recall that it was sold at a ridiculously high price during the housing boom with the thought that rents would skyrocket. But then the bubble burst and they had mortgage issues--just like Stuyvestant Town and Peter Cooper. All these apartments were built as middle-class housing and the new owners all tried to make basically middle class city apartments into "luxury hosuing" what ever that putrid phrase means. But I think Riverton has come through its problems. Price there are also, I believe, similar to Lenox Terrace--but no doormen.

This is the most accurate and best apartment advice for this area.

Concerning the hospital itself. You can not receive better training than you will receive at Harlem Hospital. You have many of the same doctors that also work at Columbia Presbyterian. Everything that can ever happen medically comes to that hospital just like Columbia Presbyterian, and if they cannot handle it there they will get the patient to Columbia Presbyterian. However most people would be surprised at what Harlem Hospital is capable and does handle on a daily basis. They just do it with no frills.

It is not a comfortable or beautiful place in appearance, but is serves the needs of the community very well. Many caring and very professional people work there in all titles. Best wishes to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City