Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 08:49 PM

141 posts, read 353,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshi View Post
are the r-142s the cars with the blue seats? havent seen one yet on the 7 train, i take it every day, but i hope they dont change out the cars anytime soon (i guess i am a nostalgic person here)
Have you ever noticed how wide the west side cars are compared to the east side? Apparently, the three different lines that make up the system were each built to different gauges, since each was separately and privately cut. (Back when the lines were all in competition to one another)
IRT trains (4,5,6) cannot fit the track and tunnels of the BMT (1,2,3,A,C,E). The IND or yellow and orange lines (F,D,N,R,Q & 7) are yet a third gauge of track and tunnel different from the other two. Not sure which line the J,Z belong to, though I believe it's part of the IND.
Add to this the fact that all tunnels and curves were cut into bedrock means the only way to fit cars is to have them built specifically for each line. You can actually see where the station platforms were extended to accommodate longer trains later on in the systems history. The stations of Lower Manhattan and Brooklyn all have older ceramic and terra cotta designs with newer extensions added at one or both ends of each platform.
The fact that the curves were cut into schist bedrock also puts a cap on how long trains can be before they can no longer fit the curves and the station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
A kid at heart, I see. I, and every kid I've every know at some point loves to stand in the front subway car looking out. For New York kids, its a rite of passage. And I guess for some adults too.
Indeed! "Rite of passage" is a good way of putting it, it really is. I ride daily and still miss the 'click clack' rhythms of separate rail sections. (Also 'live' conductor announcements for each station)

Old 05-14-2011, 09:22 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,643,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Of New York View Post
Have you ever noticed how wide the west side cars are compared to the east side? Apparently, the three different lines that make up the system were each built to different gauges, since each was separately and privately cut. (Back when the lines were all in competition to one another)
IRT trains (4,5,6) cannot fit the track and tunnels of the BMT (1,2,3,A,C,E). The IND or yellow and orange lines (F,D,N,R,Q & 7) are yet a third gauge of track and tunnel different from the other two. Not sure which line the J,Z belong to, though I believe it's part of the IND.
You messed that up pretty badly--lumped lines together incorrectly, I should say. The IRT lines (numbered) run shorter and narrower trains. (This was the original subway system). IND/BMT lines (letters) cannot be interchanged with IRT cars. That is to say, you can't run IRT cars on IND/BMT lines because there would be a dangerously wide gap between the trains and the platforms. Conversely, IND/BMT cars can't run on IRT lines because they'd be sliced off by the platforms.

R-46 cars, which currently run on the A, F and G lines are 75 feet long--the longest cars in the system. All the other models currently operating on IND and BMT lines are 60 feet long. They're all 11 feet wide. IRT cars are 51 feet long and 9 feet wide.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
You messed that up pretty badly--lumped lines together incorrectly, I should say. The IRT lines (numbered) run shorter and narrower trains. (This was the original subway system). IND/BMT lines (letters) cannot be interchanged with IRT cars. That is to say, you can't run IRT cars on IND/BMT lines because there would be a dangerously wide gap between the trains and the platforms. Conversely, IND/BMT cars can't run on IRT lines because they'd be sliced off by the platforms.

R-46 cars, which currently run on the A, F and G lines are 75 feet long--the longest cars in the system. All the other models currently operating on IND and BMT lines are 60 feet long. They're all 11 feet wide. IRT cars are 51 feet long and 9 feet wide.
I stand corrected. I'm not a train buff. I just look at the differences visually. I'm not versed in the technical stuff (car types and designations) I know I'm right about the physical properties of tunnels and Manhattan Schist though. It's one of the few things about which we can truly say 'it's set in stone.' That is, they can add to the lines, but they cannot be altered. Curved stations are pretty much at maximum length, which dictate the limit on train lengths throughout the associated lines. Straight stations may have possibilities, but not without the curves being taken into account. And yes, I definitely knew about the width differences. First thing I noticed years ago (but not the actual measurements) This made me realize the limitations on trading cars between lines. Still an amazing system though.

Last edited by Tony Of New York; 05-14-2011 at 10:25 PM..

Old 05-15-2011, 10:44 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,643,544 times
Back on topic of views from the front car...

If you take the #3 train (which still runs the R-62A cars, meaning that you can get up to the front door of the lead car for the traditional view) to Brooklyn, there's a great visual after the train leaves Utica Avenue. It comes aboveground, and takes a wide, sweeping curve into the Sutter Avenue/Rutland Road station.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:27 PM

177 posts, read 416,788 times
That was nice!

Old 10-11-2011, 09:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,424 times
Are the track gauges the same still, standard gauge??

Old 10-12-2011, 01:24 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,928,676 times
I always love these type of videos. Gonna start making some myself.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:28 AM

18,487 posts, read 31,694,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
A kid at heart, I see. I, and every kid I've every know at some point loves to stand in the front subway car looking out. For New York kids, its a rite of passage. And I guess for some adults too.

absolutely !!!

every little boy has done this, and I am still guilty of it and I am no little boy...

I have 3 nephews living in Staten Island that have never even been on a subway train........................isn't that horrible....

my 3 sons would fight to get the best spot in the front...........

Old 10-12-2011, 07:58 AM

12 posts, read 18,183 times
Added to the Must Do List for our next visit....cheers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City